Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13625 - 08/27/04 07:50 PM Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I’m hoping my fellow Outlaws can help me out with this. I use a Mitsubishi VS-60111 RPTV in my Home Theater system and have noticed a vibration (caused by my subwoofers) in the “Diamond Shield” that protects the screen. It only happens when I hit really loud passages during movies or music with a lot of bass. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas on how to stop it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Lasher

#13626 - 08/27/04 09:53 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Proximity of the sub to the TV? And how solid is the floor and whatever they may be mounted on?

#13627 - 08/27/04 11:17 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Here are pic’s to show proximity. http://llasher2.photosite.com/HT/ As far as the floor is concerned its rock solid and the wall behind the big screen wall is concrete block. I really don’t have any options as to where else to place the subs and the response is very good at the seating location with them right where they are (at least to my ears ).

Lasher

#13628 - 08/28/04 10:37 AM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
then you are out of luck.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13629 - 08/28/04 11:59 AM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Curegeorg: Thank You for the meaningful input. It's what I've come to expect from you

Lasher

#13630 - 08/28/04 04:27 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Lasher the big guy, you are a gentleman as well.

If that doesn’t take effect, see if you can rough em up a little.

#13631 - 08/29/04 01:35 AM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
You might check to make sure that your subwoofer cabinet isn't touching the adjacent cabinet which could be touching the TV, just to make sure that vibration isn't being transferred there. (Although the likelihood is that it's airborn vibration.)

My other suggestion is kind of lame but....

See if there is wiggle room between the diamond screen and its frame. If so, you might try just sticking the sharp end of a toothpick in the gap where it is less likely to be seen. If that makeshift shim stops the vibration, you could just break it off to leave only a tiny bit of wood showing. You could also try this with thin cardboard, too.

Yeah, I said it was a lame suggestion but there probably isn't any harm either item could do, even if it got into the TV.

The other more complicated -- but more effective yet irresponsible -- solution would be to actually get inside the unit from the rear and check the tightening of the screen mounting from behind. This would obviously void a warranty and leave you open to capacitor shock, if you started poking around the circuitry in there.

This foolhardy suggestion is purely my own and I don't accept any responsibility if you shock yourself silly. And, obviously, Outlaw Audio is not responsible for any of my bad advice. They're too smart to tell you to do ANY of the goofy stuff I suggest.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited August 29, 2004).]

#13632 - 08/29/04 08:54 AM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#13633 - 08/29/04 02:11 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I also keep my shield on my Mitsu because my daughter still has friends over and I don't always trust them. I have never seen the shield vibrate though. It's not difficult to just remove the shield and reinsert it. It might be that the shield has just loosened up a bit over time so give it a try.

#13634 - 08/29/04 04:06 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
usually the "protective shield" does more than merely protect the screen. it can reduce reflections thus improving contrast, increase sharpness, etc. depends on the shield. merely taking it off is a bad idea... perhaps the shield is vibrating in unison with the screen...

my one opinion would be to pull the subwoofers farther in front of the screen, that way the sound waves that radiate will not directly hit the shield so much. it may not take moving them that much forward... plus this would not impact the setup of your system too much, because you the placement would be practically the same...

i didnt say that before, because i thought you could think of that... damn assumptions.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13635 - 08/29/04 05:57 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
lasher,
I also have a mitsu with a diamond shield. It will also vibrate with loud bass stuff. I think it is airborne as I have a concrete slab floor. I also get minor vibrations in the walls themselves. The shield is supposedly anti-reflective and so should probably be kept on. I'll be watching if anybody posts a way to tighten up the shield in the bracket too. Thanks for posting this problem.

#13636 - 08/30/04 08:05 AM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If the noise that is being generated by the vibration is due to rattling against the brackets along the edge (which I'm just guessing is the case), would it be possible to add some felt or fabric or other dampening material between the screen and the brackets to serve as vibration isolation?

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13637 - 08/30/04 03:28 PM Re: Big Screen Vibrations!!!
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was thinking along the same lines. If I take a few rubber washers cut them in half and push them in the sides between the brackets and screen I might be able to stop the vibration. It only happenes on one side so that should fix it. I was just wondering if there was some sort of clamp inside the tv that could be tightened?

Thanks Again
Lasher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts