Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#13454 - 06/11/04 09:07 AM Wireless streaming
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
I am beginning to learn about the computer - HT mating process.

Does anyone have experience with the Gateway DVD player that will stream audio and video (at least pictures) from a computer?

http://accessor ies.gateway.com/Accessor...oductid=1532498

The price is right ($250, including a "g" speed router).

I am most interested in streaming internet radio.

TIA for any info.

[This message has been edited by michaelstano (edited June 11, 2004).]

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#13455 - 06/11/04 11:46 AM Re: Wireless streaming
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Streaming internet radio... Let us all pause to remember the nearly-realized Outlaw IR1000 that would have been nothing but streaming internet radio. It came a little too late to avoid the internet radio royalty battle and would likely be too specialized to survive the current streaming/media server market.

I haven't done much with streaming lately, although I have been keeping an eye on the steady trickle of new streaming and media sharing products. The price for the Gateway unit is certainly interesting, especially with the wireless access point included. I don't know how good the DVD player side of it is. The manual was a bit hidden, but I finally found it on Gateway's site and don't see any mention of it supporting streaming internet radio.

As for other alternatives, there's the venerable Audiotron, which will do both locally-stored audio files and internet streams but seems to have risen in price slightly from $200 to around $240 and doesn't offer video or built-in wireless. There is a product similar to the Audiotron called the Squeezebox (made by Slim Devices), which is available as a wired ethernet version for $200 or a wireless version for $280. It uses a pretty slick software package called "SlimServer" to handle media serving and will do internet radio, but like the Audiotron it is audio only. You can download SlimServer and play with it -- I've used it to create a local music stream that other PC's can access using WinAmp (part of an ongoing discussion about ditching the office muzak system). There's also the Linksys WMA11B, which sells online for about $140 or so but would require you to get a wireless access point or run network cable to it. It will do both pictures and music, but I don't know if it will do internet streams since the manual makes no mention of internet radio (it appears to be basically the same sort of device as Gateway's player, only with the DVD player portion removed). HP's got a similar media receiver (the EW5000) which is available for around $140, but some of the online reviews have been pretty uninspiring.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13456 - 06/11/04 03:28 PM Re: Wireless streaming
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
I have an AudioTron that I still use. It's downfall for me is I can't play my iTunes files. There are products out there that will play the format but not the DRM protected purchased songs. (unless you use hmyn to crack the DRM but that's a little more trouble) It works great for internet radio however.
Apple just announced their Airport Express which is a 802.11G wireless receiver that also has a digital out and you can control from within iTunes. I'll get one of those as soon as it ships since I'm already 'locked in' with my iPod and iTunes purchased music.
That Gateway looks nice if you are also in the market for a DVD player and wireless setup. If you already have the others then it might be overkill.

#13457 - 06/11/04 03:40 PM Re: Wireless streaming
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
Gonk,

We haven't talked in awhile, but I keep going to school on your postings!

Upon closer inspection, your are (of course) right--the GW will only stream what is on the computer. Since I am trying to learn about this, I didn't know to look for that detail, but it is obvious now.

Have you seen the Apple Airport?

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress

This, too, looks pretty slick for not much money.

Gonk, all of this got started because I am still fighting with low signal quality on cable radio when played on my around-the-house (ATH) system. I am splitting the RCA audio from the cable box to the 950 and my ATH gear. I am using a signal amp at the split, and I've had a whole house cable amp put on. Cox Cable says my signal is maxed out, but the volume on the ATH system is only marginal at 50% volume, whereas CDs played on the same system are terrific at 30% volume.

I split the signal so as to not use the 950's second zone, reasoning that I didn't want to use the 950 so much. Maybe I need to rewire to use the 950, and let go of my concerns about the 950's longevity.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#13458 - 06/14/04 11:21 AM Re: Wireless streaming
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That Airport Express/AirTunes thing is just downright cool. I just set up an Airport access point for my mom over the weekend (she just bought an iBook and is getting broadband installed today, so we put the Airport in a closet in the middle of the house). Because of my main computer needs, I have always used PC's, and it's been over ten years since I spent any time in front of a Mac. I was very impressed with the interface. I think there are some more flexible and powerful media servers around, but the AirTunes approach is intriguing (especially if you already had an Airport base station).

I'd try the second zone and see what effect it has on the sound -- I doubt using it will have an impact on the life of the 950.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13459 - 06/14/04 02:27 PM Re: Wireless streaming
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelstano:
... I split the signal so as to not use the 950's second zone, reasoning that I didn't want to use the 950 so much. Maybe I need to rewire to use the 950, and let go of my concerns about the 950's longevity. ...

For what it's worth, my Model 1050 is over four years old, is the Receiver predecessor of the Model 950 Pre/Pro and is used for several hours (either FM radio, SACD or TV audio) nearly every day. It's still working like a champ and I have no reason to expect it to stop (short of a lightning strike; and then I'll likely have other concerns). The Model 950 doesn't have any internal amps, so I'd expect it to be even more reliable than the 1050.

Just my two cents,

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

[This message has been edited by psklenar (edited June 14, 2004).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts