Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13421 - 06/07/04 10:28 PM 15 amps not enough
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I have everything in my system, except the cabinet fans, running through the Panamax Max 5300 power protection. The problem is the circuit breaker is the standard 15amp that comes in most power protection systems like this one. If I get anywhere near 0db the breaker pops. I have about 2000+ watts running through an 1800 watt PP system. Do you think I would be foolish in running the Samson S1000 amp connected to two 15" sub woofers on a separate circuit without PP?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#13422 - 06/08/04 12:34 AM Re: 15 amps not enough
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
yes, yes i do.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13423 - 06/08/04 08:05 AM Re: 15 amps not enough
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you are tripping your breaker now, I'd definitely recommend shifting some of the load to another circuit or (if it is not a dedicated circuit) removing non-home theater loads from the existing circuit. The sub amps would be a good load to relocate.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13424 - 06/09/04 01:19 AM Re: 15 amps not enough
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
If you are tripping your breaker now, I'd definitely recommend shifting some of the load to another circuit or (if it is not a dedicated circuit) removing non-home theater loads from the existing circuit. The sub amps would be a good load to relocate.

Gonk, the juice is all running through the Panamax right now. I want to bypass the Panamax and go directly to the wall, but only for the Samson amp and subs. I like the Samson amp but I really hate my sub's and am trying to blow them up so I can get new ones. But I can't get enough juice to them through the Panamax. I am also running them at 4ohms so the Samson is really working but I don't think it has enough power to do the twin 15's in. What to do?

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited June 09, 2004).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#13425 - 06/09/04 03:14 AM Re: 15 amps not enough
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#13426 - 06/09/04 11:34 AM Re: 15 amps not enough
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
It seemed to me that Wayne had been a voice of reason at some times!?!

Actually at one point in my teen years, I had run out of 1/4" plugs for speakers and thought to 'carefully' use a standard wall plug instead. You can guess what eventually happened one day. Let's say the only one more startled than I was was the 8" woofer!

I think that even if you use an inexpensive and sacrificial type of protection (read: cheap) for some of the more robust loads on a different circuit, it would be better than straight out of the wall.

I hope it works out!

#13427 - 06/09/04 12:36 PM Re: 15 amps not enough
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The one concern that I have is that simply taking the Samson off the Panamax will not alleviate the circuit breaker problem -- you are still on the same circuit, and the combined load on that circuit is causing the breaker to trip. If you are not using the "high current" outlets on the Panamax for your amps, you would potentially be even more likely to trip the breaker by taking the Panamax out of the equation. The best bet is to move the Samson to a separate circuit and throw some inexpensive surge protection on it. If you are not worried about damage to the subs (or are actively seeking such damage), connecting them without any surge protection shouldn't be too much of a risk, although as far as surges are concerned you'll be risking the Samson rather than the subs. If your goal is a really noisy death for your subs, you will probably need to find a largely unused receptacle circuit and connect the Samson to that. If the goal is watching the drivers disintegrate, Wayne's approach is very effective and probably less objectionable to the neighbors than some of the other options -- like taping packs of fireworks to the back of the cones and lighting a fuse.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13428 - 06/09/04 01:52 PM Re: 15 amps not enough
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
If you are looking for a spectacular death for those subs a quarter pound of C4 divided equally, and a few yards of det cord will yield, (pardon the pun) an explosive end for your subs.

#13429 - 06/09/04 02:08 PM Re: 15 amps not enough
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
Most of the power strip/ surge protectors I have seen only allow 15 amps to pass through them. Most homes have 15 amp circuits feeding multiple outlets. If the Panamax is tripping out now and you plugged directly into the wall the circuit breaker will probably trip, too.

Best bet is to do what Gonk suggested and try to find a different circuit.

As far as blowing up the subs are concerned you should try blowing a cappucino machine!!!

#13430 - 06/09/04 02:28 PM Re: 15 amps not enough
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
What to do with sub drivers you don't like for your HT any more:

Maybe you could suspend the two drivers under a 4x8 horizontal piece of plywood, wire them in series and feed them right from the wall power with GI Joe action figures in football uniforms on the top side of the plywood ... viola! - a large scale vibrating football game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM