Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13391 - 06/07/04 06:15 PM I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I was at my local Best Buy the other day looking at the plasma TV’s and minding my own business when from out of no where comes this pimple faced eager young sales kid looking to make a sale. I was surprised to find that he “new something” about the products they sell so we started talking about Home Theater Systems. I told him about my RPTV and pointed out the DVD player that I had bought there a few months ago the Pioneer DV-563a. He said his friend had the same player and that he liked the way SACD and DVD-A sounded. He asked what other equipment I had so I told him about my Outlaw 950/7100 combo. As I expected he said he never heard of them. I went on to tell him about the Outlaw products and gave him the web site so he could check them out for himself. That’s when it happened. He said he was saving his money up for a really top of the line system. Of course I asked him what he planed to spend his savings on. His next words made me wince with pain. He smiled and said a Bose lifestyle system. Now please understand I am not a mean person by nature but before I could stop myself I said “I wouldn’t own a Bose P.O.S if someone gave it to me” The poor kid just stood there looking up at me with those big Doe in the headlights eyes like I just ran over his puppy I felt so bad that all I could think to say was thanks for your help as I headed for the door. Does this make me a bad Outlaw? Anyone else ever have something like this happen to them? Come on guys I need some moral support here.

Lasher

#13392 - 06/07/04 06:36 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Don't feel too bad, Lasher. Consider it your small-scale "public service announcement" for the week. Maybe it will make the guy start doing some shopping around and discover what alternatives are available -- Axiom, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, Energy, Polk, Definitive Technology, Atlantic Technology, M&K, B&W, ... You might have given him the push he needed to change direction.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13393 - 06/07/04 06:46 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
Don't feel bad Lasher, because you may have helped put the kid on a better path for getting much more than he would have, with his hard earned money. I've had what you did happen to me, and the only real lasting effect it had was it got me thinking. However having done the Bose scene years back, I can say at the time it was a good fit, because small apartments lend themselves to the Bose lifestyle option. They won't crank up enough to get evicted! In hindsite though, I would have wasted much less money buying good amps, and limiting the volume, because good amps are timeless! Bose are always destined to be upgraded later. Just my opinion!

#13394 - 06/07/04 07:45 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Eh, he'll be fine when he starts his research. Many people are shocked to learn that Bose isn't all that great. Their stereo speakers aren't all that bad, but they have to suffer from Bose's reputation with the Acoustimass and Lifestyle systems. Those things are so ridiculously expensive. Sometimes reality checks hurt.

#13395 - 06/07/04 08:44 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
As background, I was looking at the thread about 7.1 Placement Help with its link to harmon white paper and then came here.

Now for possibly a real stupid question. How would a pair of Bose 901's work for rear or side surround speakers? I always was going to disagree with JT's comments as hated these speakers for stereo because I could never localize the image. But in reflection (pun intended) I was wondering if they might be perfect for the rear or sides.

[This message has been edited by 73Bruin (edited June 07, 2004).]
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#13396 - 06/07/04 09:42 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
I think you did that kid a great service, he'll thank you later in life, plus he'll be able to brag to all his buddies at Best Buy by broadening his horizons beyond what they sell there....not that everything they sell there is crap, but there's alot more out there.....good job Lasher

------------------
DN

#13397 - 06/07/04 09:45 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
miker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ca
Bose,doesn't that leave a bad taste in your mouth saying it?

#13398 - 06/07/04 10:54 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I can sympathize with you, they don't call me MeanGene for nothing. There are sometimes when discretion is the better part of valor. With that in mind, my I make a few suggestions.

The ever popular - "That's Amazing"

"I hear that Bose has a great marketing department"

"What did you compare them to?"

"Somethimes form IS more important that function"

Oh fooey, I can't go on....

Tell him you have heard better sound from a computer setup.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#13399 - 06/07/04 11:06 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Lots of luxury and near luxury car owners apparently agree with the kid about Bose. According to Edmunds (reported here ) the top automotive sound systems are as follows:

Top 10 over $30,000:

Acura TL (Panasonic)
Cadillac SRX (Bose)
Hummer H1 (Monsoon by Delphi)
Infiniti Q45 (Bose)
Land Rover Range Rover (Harman Kardon)
Lexus LS 430 (Mark Levinson)
Lincoln LS (THX)
Mercedes S500 (Bose)
Porsche 911 Cabriolet and Boxster (Bose)
Volvo S80 (Dolby Pro Logic)

Top 10 under $30,000:

Audi A4 (Bose)
Ford Focus (Visteon)
Ford Mustang GT (Visteon)
Mini Cooper (Harman Kardon)
Mitsubishi Galant (Infinity)
Nissan Altima (Bose)
Nissan Pathfinder (Bose)
Nissan Sentra SE-R (Rockford-Fosgate)
Scion xA and xB (Pioneer with Bazooka subwoofer)
Volkswagen Passat (Monsoon by Delphi)

Note that Cadillac SRX, Infiniti Q45, Mercedes S500, Porsche 911 Cabriolet and Boxster, Audi, Nissan Altima and Pathfinder feature, you guessed it, Bose.

You can see the full report on Edmund's Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Over $30,000 for 2004 here , and the Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Under $30,000 for 2004 here .

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 07, 2004).]

#13400 - 06/07/04 11:15 PM Re: I've been a BAAAD Outlaw
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
Bose does make some fine sounding CAR systems.............

------------------
DN

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts