Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#13227 - 05/27/04 12:37 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Where is the sensitivity? Not the SPL that they can attain, but the SPL with 1 watt @ 1 meter.

#13228 - 05/27/04 12:47 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
Where is the sensitivity? Not the SPL that they can attain, but the SPL with 1 watt @ 1 meter.

i dont know any manufacturers that put stuff like that in their manuals... that link i posted in the other thread where you were tyring to nitpick, MAYBE would have it. its the one from hometheaterhifi.com... there are ample reviews of the hgsII18 and the newer DD18 (same electronics except for parametric eq), look for some and see if they have the info that you desire. if it interests you so much, look it up and let me know. was there anything like you speak of about the tumult? you know the one that you linked to and were drooling over?

i only posted the specs to say that the three conditions that sh and you stated could be met.

#13229 - 05/27/04 12:52 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
I've got a Tumult.. at the moment though I think it's underpowered (I'm using a 500 watt amp.. it really needs 1kw or so)

It's in a 24" cube (outside) and it sounds wonderful... When I first used this thing I noticed bass in all kinds of things that I hadn't heard / felt before... and noticed EVERY place in my house where things were loose (pictures, drywall).. I had it up a little too high at first, but now it's calibrated to be a little higher than the rest of my speakers...

It's actually a fast driver.. it integrates well with my Magnepan's (they're crossed at 60hz)

I picked it by reading lots of reviews and typing with some of the guys on Madisound's forum...

#13230 - 05/27/04 12:59 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Unferth:
I've got a Tumult.. at the moment though I think it's underpowered (I'm using a 500 watt amp.. it really needs 1kw or so)

It's in a 24" cube (outside) and it sounds wonderful... When I first used this thing I noticed bass in all kinds of things that I hadn't heard / felt before... and noticed EVERY place in my house where things were loose (pictures, drywall).. I had it up a little too high at first, but now it's calibrated to be a little higher than the rest of my speakers...

It's actually a fast driver.. it integrates well with my Magnepan's (they're crossed at 60hz)

I picked it by reading lots of reviews and typing with some of the guys on Madisound's forum...

it only costs what $499? sounds like a good deal to me, well if you can get an amp and build an enclosure for it for a good price. how much would you say that you have put into it total? break it down for us too if you dont mind, i.e. driver, cabinet, amp, etc.

#13231 - 05/27/04 01:32 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i dont know any manufacturers that put stuff like that in their manuals... that link i posted in the other thread where you were tyring to nitpick, MAYBE would have it. its the one from hometheaterhifi.com... there are ample reviews of the hgsII18 and the newer DD18 (same electronics except for parametric eq), look for some and see if they have the info that you desire. if it interests you so much, look it up and let me know. was there anything like you speak of about the tumult? you know the one that you linked to and were drooling over?

i only posted the specs to say that the three conditions that sh and you stated could be met.

Cabinet size is debatable and relative I believe. No arguing with that frequency response as I believe the manufacturer specs to be reasonably accurate. That's 2/3 at most. No offense, but that does not prove the theory wrong. I don't have time to go scouring the other forums for that info. Maybe a little assist here? Besides, the amplifier has nothing to do with what we're talking about. It's about the driver and its enclosure.

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited May 27, 2004).]

#13232 - 05/27/04 01:42 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Here's about what everything cost...

500 for the driver
300 for the amp - 500 watt Parts Express plate amp that's in it's own little box
and I think about 100$ or so for wood, little speaker spikes...

and the other costs could include things like air compressor and brad nailer, table saw.. huge clamps, etc...

but if you've got all the tools it's doable in a weekend...

I still haven't really "finished" it yet.. it's just raw MDF but it weighs so much I'd rather wait until the wife's pressure is enough to make me move it I think if I do move it I'll put casters on the back so I can just lift the front and wheel it around...

#13233 - 05/27/04 02:02 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Actually my sub is a good example of Soundhound's theory...

small size: check
frequency extention: check
efficient: 89.1db @1 watt.. so, no

#13234 - 05/27/04 02:11 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

You can have two of these parameters, but not all three at the same time: small box size, frequency extension, and efficiency.

seems like to me that that was applied to the whole sub...

i wasnt getting at anything other than the cost of the completed product. jt, dont try to read too much into things, :-).

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 27, 2004).]

#13235 - 05/27/04 02:34 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

...I know someone is going to ask so..

I put the plate amp in a seperate enclosure because I put a lot of work into securing the box and making it rigid (the walls are 1" thick) and the plate amp is sealed by a cheap plastic tub... it just seemed like a waste to do that to my box And this way when I find a bigger amp that I want to use with the thing I can

[This message has been edited by Unferth (edited May 27, 2004).]

#13236 - 05/27/04 02:50 PM Re: What do you guys look for in a sub?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Oooh! this one! You can hook TWO of those subs up to it! 1200 watts each, stereo sound! Ok, I'll calm down.

Unferth, can you tell if there is a particular range where the sub begins to lack output or is it across the board? Because if it's on the low end then porting may be an option.

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited May 27, 2004).]

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM