Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 14 of 17 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#13124 - 05/28/04 03:42 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Not that it makes a huge difference, but didn't someone say that the 1070 will have 75 watts/channel instead of 65 like the 1050 had? I think I'm using the AC outlets on my current receiver, but I don't think they're really necessary. There will almost always be a power strip right there anyway as the TV, DVD & CD players (etc) will also be there as well. My components that (may be) are plugged into the receiver need to be turned on anyway, so what's the point? Granted, not every unit will behave like that.

#13125 - 05/28/04 05:31 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
lotus_j Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside
gonk- That is why I mentioned Outlaw's very NAD-like stance on power wattage. NAD has been famous for having receivers with low watt ratings be able to get good sound out of power hungry speakers. I've never read a review of a NAD receiver or amp where the writer complained about the power available.

I'd rather have 65 NAD Watts vs. most others 100 watts. I put Outlaw in the same category. I'd much rather have 65 Outlaw watts than 100 sony, pioneer, etc. watts.

While it might not have I-link, it may have much better DACs than the rest of the bunch. Digital decoding, etc. isn't all that important to me. The quality of the DAC and how good the power is. Those are important.

Plus someone help me out here. I-Link is a modified fire-wire developed to carry digital audio of either DVD-A or SACD correct. I've heard that I-Link can only send out 2 channel information, and it doesnt send out multi-channel. Is this correct?

If it is, then I don't really see the need for it.

JT- I said 65 Watts because the blurb on the 1070 model at the show said "65 watts."

[This message has been edited by lotus_j (edited May 28, 2004).]

#13126 - 05/28/04 05:59 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As you may know, Outlaw can trace some of its roots back to NAD (at least one Outlaw used to work for them), so the similarity comes as no surprise.

I-Link is one of several (too many) different names for the same thing: IEEE-1394. Firewire is another, more common name for it. From what I understand, 1394 was accepted as the digital audio interface to be used with high resolution digital audio such as that used on DVD-Audio and SACD. It was intended for use with multichannel audio, so it should carry a full six-channel digital signal. The acceptance of 1394 as the interface is several years old, but the encryption used across 1394 was not included in that acceptance. It took longer to hash that out, leading to a few proprietary approaches (most notably be Denon and Pioneer). That obstacle is only now falling away.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited May 28, 2004).]

#13127 - 05/28/04 09:24 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
I was at the HE show in NY.
The new amplifier is 7 channel @ 300 watts per channel.

Keep in mind the standard home circuit is 15 Amp 120V, so it can provide 1800 watts max (on a good day). 7 channel @ 300 watts is 2100 watts, plus power dissipated in the unit. So the std 15 Amp home circuit won't do! (yeah, I have a degree in Elec Engr)

Outlaws said they had not yet decided on how to supply power - two wires / plugs or one?

#13128 - 05/28/04 10:43 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by dengor:
... Outlaws said they had not yet decided on how to supply power - two wires / plugs or one?

Picture of back of Model 790

pat----

#13129 - 05/28/04 11:48 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Oooohhh. Balanced connections. It's still a prototype, right? They might change it. 6 months is a long time. Do I see dual 1800 watt power supplies on that thing? One on each side.

#13130 - 05/28/04 11:49 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I find it odd that some of the small print on the amp is in French. The warning label says AVIS which I believe is "Advice" and on the right side is Voir le Cahier D' Instruction which I think is "The Schedule of Instruction". Probably means check the Owners manual. Why would this demo unit have residual French writing. Some of the French Canadians should be able to translate a bit better than me. Maybe the units will be made in Canada helping some of the Gunslingers up there with duties.

#13131 - 05/29/04 03:25 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I-Link is one of several (too many) different names for the same thing: IEEE-1394 ... From what I understand, 1394 was accepted as the digital audio interface to be used with high resolution digital audio such as that used on DVD-Audio and SACD. It was intended for use with multi-channel audio, so it should carry a full six-channel digital signal. The acceptance of 1394 as the interface is several years old, but the encryption used across 1394 was not included in that acceptance. It took longer to hash that out, leading to a few proprietary approaches (most notably be Denon and Pioneer). That obstacle is only now falling away.

That obstacle is only now falling away!!!
Gonk!
Is there a chance that in the not too distant future, 1394 (firewire) connections will be the standard between all multi-channel players and pre-amps? I thought that it would eventually happen, but the copyright police would be dragged kicking and ... someday...

Why would anyone buy an expensive player today, if they knew that a non-proprietary format (firewire) was on the horizon? Or a pre-amp without firewire inputs for that matter?

curious...
Allan

#13132 - 05/29/04 05:04 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Most CD and DVD players have analog and digital connections. The digital connections are coax and/or optical. Either can transmit the stereo CDs, DTS CDs, DTS DVDs, Dolby Digital DVDs, etc. Although there's an anlog connection, it's not used much, except for stereo CDs. Analog normally isn't used for DTS DVDs or Dolby Digital DVDs.

The first digital standard connection for DVD-A and SACD transmission is 5C/DTCP with 1394, commonly referred to as i.link audio. There will be other standard digital connections that handle DVD-A and SACD, later, like HDMI presumably. But DVD-A and SACD on HDMI is not implemented yet in any chipset and probably won't be in any product sold for well over a year. Even after it first comes out in a product, it may be years before it's in a critical mass of products. The first i.link audio (5C/DTCP with 1394) chips were out years ago. The first products with i.link were sold over 18 months ago. As of a few months ago, only about three major brands sold products with i.link. But two or three more major brands plan to introduce i.link products in the next few months. Currently no budget receiver supports i.link audio.

Needless to say 2 channel analog will continue to be around and supported. So will digital optical and digital coax for stereo CDs, DD DVDs, DTS DVDs etc. Similarly, 6 channel analog will continue to be supported for DVD-A and SACD, and co-exist with i.link audio (5C/DTCP with 1394). Likewise i.link audio should co-exist with HDMI v2 if and when HDMI appears. They should all co-exist like with video, where s-video and component and composite video coexist.

The 5C/DTCP standard allows protected transmission of copy-protected material. Five companies, Hitachi, Intel, Matsushita, Sony and Toshiba prepared the "5C" Digital Transmission Content Protection "DTCP" specification. DTCP is a cryptographic protocol for protecting audio/video content from being copied over digital buses like 1394.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 30, 2004).]

#13133 - 05/29/04 12:26 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

New newsletter:

Quote:
Specifically, it is important to clear the air with regards to one important
issue about all three of the new electronics products previewed in New York.
Each of these items is a unique product based on concepts conceptualized and
developed by the Outlaws.

The software design for the two receivers and the hardware topology and
component selection for all three new products were created and specified by the
Outlaws. The actual systems design and integration is being done by engineers
and consultants under our direct supervision. These are TOTALLY NEW platforms
that will NOT be available from any other brand or through any other
distribution channel. Finally, as you can see from the photos on some of the
forums, the industrial design is also all new, and like the systems design it is
ours, and ours ALONE.

Please remember that all of the products previewed during the Home Entertainment
Show are scheduled for production towards the end of the year, and at this point
we have not announced any firm delivery dates or final pricing.

· The RR 2150 Receiver was on display in close to final form, as promised
in the recent Newsletter. This will likely be the very first of the new products
to arrive, and thanks to its combination of contemporary electronics and
stunning “retro” industrial design; it will be a must-have for all serious music
lovers.

· Expanding our amplifier offerings, the Model 790 Power Amplifier will
capitalize on unique and innovative circuit topology to deliver 300 watts per
channel with all seven channels driven. Designed for those who want the ultimate
in power and performance, the Model 790 will also feature balanced inputs.

· Also as noted in the Newsletter, we will have both DVI-D to DVI-D and
DVI-D to HDMI cables available by Labor Day.

Finally, the Newsletter’s hint that our big announcement is related to the DVI
cables was the first preview of our Model 1070 Receiver. Scheduled to ship
before the end of the year, it will offer all the latest surround modes
(including Dolby ProLogic IIx, Dolby Virtual Surround and Dolby Headphone).

Among it’s many features will be:
· High quality video cross-conversion so that only one component video
connection is needed between the Model 1070 and your video display
· RS-232 connectivity for bi-directional control of the receiver by a
computer or keypad system as well as full upgrade capability for both the
software library and the unit’s operating system
· A total of eight digital inputs (four coax/four optical)
· Three assignable, high-bandwidth component video inputs
· A 7 x 65 watt amplifier with the power and performance made famous by
our first receiver, the legendary Model 1050
· AND FINALLY, in keeping with the Model 1050’s tradition of firsts, the
Model 1070 will include a two input DVI switcher for your HDTV and
high-resolution video input sources: The first affordable receiver with such
circuitry

As announced at the show the price of the receiver is expected to be “under
$1000”. Of course, the exact price and how much “under $1,000” will be
determined as we get a bit closer to production at the end of the year.

Page 14 of 17 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts