Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17 >
Topic Options
#12994 - 05/17/04 09:22 PM Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Quote:
NEW PRODUCT PREVIEWS

Along with the latest version of the RR 2150, we will be previewing two major
new products and two additions to our line of cables during the Home
Entertainment Show. We don’t want to tip our hats on this until the Show opens,
but here are some hints:

· The first new product is a prototype of a new model in the category that gave
us our start. Its combination of specifications and price will create a unique
package that will set a new benchmark for high performance.

· Recognizing that the digital television transition is finally picking up
steam, and with the knowledge that DVI and/or HDMI connectivity is part of all
the new digital video displays, satellite receivers, cable set-tops and HDTV
off-air tuners, we will announce two additions to our line of high value cable
and interconnect products. One will be DVI-D to DVI-D interconnects in a variety
of lengths and with the quality and value that Outlaw’s cable products have come
to represent. The other are DVI-D to HDMI interconnects that allow you to bridge
source products and displays that have one of the two digital interconnects, but
not both.

· The second major product is one that we’re keeping completely under wraps
until the show opens with only one hint. This model is related to some of the
items previewed above. While it will not be available until the end of this year
we felt it was time to give everyone a peek at an important “work in progress.”

So who's guessing what? First one has got to be an amp. Wonder what it'll have. Could balanced lines be an option? :drool: I have no idea how much power or how many channels. It's specs have got to be through the roof for them to say it like that.

DVI cables? Don't you need a DVI connection? Could the other big item be a new, highly anticipated pre-pro? I think they would have worded the hint differently if it was a receiver, could be wrong though.

#12995 - 05/17/04 10:24 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I was thinking the same about the first item: amp. Maybe a two-channel amp?

The DVI-D cable is intriguing -- I just tracked down one for my new TV, and there aren't many reasonably-priced ones available. There are a slew of absurdly overpriced ones, but only a few sanely priced.

The real big tease is clearly the last one. Very curious. Whatever gunslingers happen to make it past the show should drop into the forum and let us know what they find out, maybe even grab a couple pictures.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#12996 - 05/17/04 11:14 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

The DVI cable is what had me thinking Pre/Pro. The letter says item 3 is related to 1 & 2. I don't know if they'd put a connection like that on a receiver unless they are following the market trend of the mainstream brands. And that would most likely be a pretty high end receiver if the went that route. It just seems more fitting to a pre/pro following Outlaw's tradition of value. Unless that connection is a LOT cheaper than we have been led to believe. How is the availability of DVI now compared to say a year ago?

As for the (supposed) amp, I imagine that they tried to do something with the size and weight at least. That seemed to be a pretty universal critique of their other big ones. Two-channel? Maybe. I really don't know where to go, except to grab a towel and wipe up the drool.

#12997 - 05/17/04 11:29 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jeff Aguilar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
I think the first item is going to be a new receiver. Especially since they have discontinued the 1050.

I was thinking that the other one that is due out by the end of the year may be a dvd player. Who knows. If it is, I suspect it will be of the same quality as the rest of thier products. Which of course, is VERY good and affordable.

Jeff Aguilar

#12998 - 05/17/04 11:39 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
They did say you would get a chance to hear a full Outlaw system. So my guess would be speakers...............now that would be sweeeeet

Lasher

#12999 - 05/18/04 12:54 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I'm in the receiver camp. Its the one thing missing from their line up right now. Although I am sure I will be happy with whatever it is, but heres wishing for a dvd player or the next pre/pro.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited May 18, 2004).]

#13000 - 05/18/04 01:08 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
patmunn Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

My guess is product #3 is going to be some kind of video switch. It would be cool if it interfaced with Outlaw's pre/pro or reciever so you could upgrade just the video switching/conversion without having to upgrade your whole system. They could make one that was component only, DVI only, or one with a mixture of imputs.

#13001 - 05/18/04 09:04 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Andrew jc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Worcester,MA
I think it's a given that a replacement for the 1050 is near. It will be interesting what it will be and when can we get it! Just a wag but I'm guessing it will have DVI or HDMI switching. I'm basing this on the new video cables they are selling. Or at the least the new product is some sort of video switching device. Why sell DVI or HDMI cables if none of your products use it? I hope the Outlaws provide plenty of info at the NY show. I have had the 1050 since it first came out. I'm looking at the Panny SR-XA70 but I'm more than happy to wait and see what the new receiver will offer.

[This message has been edited by Andrew jc (edited May 18, 2004).]

#13002 - 05/18/04 11:36 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
From information rationed to me, I would say the first item has to be a receiver. 7.1 channel with a very rich feature set to set it apart from the competition(like the 1050 did). Cost would be similar to the original price of the 1050, slightly higher of course, but not to infringe on their seperates pricing.

#13003 - 05/18/04 12:44 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

IIRC, this (the 750) was Outlaw's first product, not the 1050.

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited May 18, 2004).]

#13004 - 05/18/04 12:54 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Hmmmm....I know a new receiver is coming. Maybe it's the 2nd item then

#13005 - 05/18/04 01:01 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Try the third (second MAJOR item though). Second item is a DVI cable.

#13006 - 05/18/04 01:48 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

That's what I meant! 2nd MAJOR product, once removed from a distant cousin of the 1050

#13007 - 05/18/04 02:18 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
I am guess (hope) there will be a 1050 replacement. A new pre/pro would be cool also. If I get a pair of free tickets I may be able to post some photos ASAP. If they have a hotspot in the show perhaps I can do it live. Did anyone hear from them about the tickets. I am guessing that since I didn't I will not be getting any.

#13008 - 05/18/04 02:27 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

I would hope that one of the Outlaws would bring their own digital camera and make those pic's available for download here on the site. How bout it Scott your the moderator here? Bring your loyal customers back some pic's to drool over

Lasher

#13009 - 05/18/04 02:33 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by desperado:
I am guess (hope) there will be a 1050 replacement. A new pre/pro would be cool also. If I get a pair of free tickets I may be able to post some photos ASAP. If they have a hotspot in the show perhaps I can do it live. Did anyone hear from them about the tickets. I am guessing that since I didn't I will not be getting any.

I already heard back that I didn't get the tickets. That would leave me to believe that you weren't one of the lucky ones...

#13010 - 05/18/04 02:38 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Yeah, I want to say the last one is a new receiver, but it's the first one that is throwing me off. The first one has to be an amp. I keep thinking that they'd make a more competitive pre/pro to go with it. Otherwise I don't know if the new amp would be all that great of an idea. We'll have to see what the amp has though.

I also just thought that maybe it is a new receiver and it shares amplifier technology with the new amp they seem to be releasing. The receiver would more than likely have more basic features (or not as many advanced ones depending on how you lok at it) than the pre/pro and therefore be ready for market sooner, especially with them not having the 1050 anymore. The receiver seems like a huge market for them that they would really be missing out on.

#13011 - 05/18/04 03:01 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

My best guess is still that (1) the first new product almost has to be an amp of some sort, (2) the 1050's replacement has to be high on their priority list, meaning it has to be in there somewhere, and (3) while a successor for the 950 is sure to be in development, the hints make me think they're leaving it under wraps a while longer. I've always assumed that we'll see a new receiver before we see a new pre/pro because it only makes sense for them to have started working on at least the groundwork for a 1050 replacement before a 950 replacement -- which means it's likely to show up first.

The amp could be a digital switching amp (perhaps developed both for a new receiver and for a standalone package) or a high power two-channel amp to finish out their line-up. As for the tie-in between the second major product (presumably a receiver) and the other new goodies, it could be that the receiver's amp modules are related to the new amp. It could also be something particularly unexpected, like a receiver with DVI switching. If it weren't for the need to replace the 1050 in their line-up, I'd assume that the second major product could be a universal DVD player with upscaling and DVI output (wouldn't that be interesting) -- but the only way I see for that to work would be if the first new product is a receiver, and like JT I'm more or less convinced it's an amp.

Or I could be way off on all of these and they're going to unveil a wall plaque of the original Outlaw logo (the one that adorned the front of the good ol' Model 750's) and a fluorescent light that doubles as a backlight for HD displays (edit: like these lights ) as well as an art light for the logo plaque...

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited May 18, 2004).]

#13012 - 05/18/04 03:19 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:

Or I could be way off on all of these and they're going to unveil a wall plaque of the original Outlaw logo (the one that adorned the front of the good ol' Model 750's) and a fluorescent light that doubles as a backlight for HD displays (edit: like these lights ) as well as an art light for the logo plaque...

Sweet! I'll take one.

#13013 - 05/18/04 04:23 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

7.1 Ch. receiver, very feature-rich, sleek new industrial design. Probably NOT digital amp technology as I would think they would want to come out with a separate one first. Analog-direct bass-management? I think they will leave that up to the ICBM for now. HD component video switching? Could be. Web accessibility?

#13014 - 05/18/04 05:51 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I think it will be some type of integrated 2 channel amp, all analog.

#13015 - 05/18/04 05:56 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Keta Offline
Desperado

Maybe soundhound talked them into some tubes!!

[This message has been edited by Keta (edited May 18, 2004).]

#13016 - 05/19/04 10:40 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, going a bit off-topic; what field of Engineering do you work in? I have been in mechanical design for 20 years now ! Kinda wish I'd gone for that piece of paper seeing the gap in the scale of pay and opportunity there is between designers and Engineers IMO!

#13017 - 05/19/04 11:18 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

My degree and PE license are in mechanical engineering. My main focus is HVAC design for commercial buildings, although I also do some fire protection and I can muddle through plumbing when necessary. It's interesting and varied work, but certainly not the most lucrative avenue for an engineer, so I know what you mean about the pay scale. We're a small shop, so I also do my own CAD drafting. When I was coming through college, I interned here in the summers and did plenty of drafting for other designers, both mechanical and electrical. I've even gone so far as to dabble in some 3D drafting in AutoCAD to help lay out particularly nasty mechanical rooms.

------------------

#13018 - 05/19/04 02:38 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Ahhh....3D! Haven't worked with that since '98 - Pro-E to be exact. I enjoyed 3D immensely, but haven't been able to get back to it since leaving that job for greener pastures I currently use Autocad 2004. The 3D packages out today sure would have come in handy at my previous job - HVAC for industrial applications(air turnover,make-up,de-stratophication units)!
Those sheet metal enclosures, some as large as UPS trucks, can be a bear to get the flat pattern laid out correctly using 2D

#13019 - 05/19/04 05:14 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Or I could be way off on all of these and they're going to unveil a wall plaque of the original Outlaw logo ...

oh? you mean like these that I suggested back in December of '02 ...

nothing ever came of my idea, but i'd still love to see one or both of these offered so that i could include them over my theater like these:

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

[This message has been edited by psklenar (edited May 19, 2004).]

#13020 - 05/19/04 11:03 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
you could put them right over Mickey! lol. ANY new product is exciting.

#13021 - 05/21/04 06:29 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
ryker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Someone on hometheaterforum, said one of the new products was a 7.1 receiver due end of the year priced around 1k. Black with silver accents. That's all I've heard so far.

#13022 - 05/21/04 09:55 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Interestinger and interestinger... That sounds like our 1050 replacement. Why do I think there may be more details on it that we haven't heard yet? And of course there's still one other product announcement out there (which I'm assuming is an amp, or perhaps a wall plaque for Grumpy's Lair).

------------------

#13023 - 05/21/04 01:39 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Just got back from the show. They announced the RR-2150, the 1070 which is a replacement for the 1050 and a new 7 channel amp. They said they will be release at the end of the year and made it clear that this means at the VERY end of the year. I have some photos of the 1070 and the RR-2150 if they came out on my digital camera. When I can post them I will try. The 1070 has DVI switching and a very simplified look on the front panel. The speaker connections look like a nice upgrade from the 1050's plastic connections. Unfortunately they didn't have any specs on the new stuff on display. Their demo was all based on the LFM-1.

#13024 - 05/21/04 01:46 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Sweet.

#13025 - 05/21/04 01:47 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

I look forward to the pics. If you need a place to host them, I can offer some space.

DVI switching? That's certainly a new twist. I'll be curious to see if it is showing up elsewhere in the market by year's end -- if the 1070 isn't the first available with it, it will be very close to it. Good year to add it, since DVI is starting to show up on DVD players and cable/satellite boxes in some decent numbers. Any info on the seven-channel amp (since it would be the third in their line-up, assuming the 770 and 7100 are staying in production)?

------------------

#13026 - 05/21/04 01:57 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
ryker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It seems that they will be one of the first with the dvi switching. Unfortunately I don't have a single item with a dvi output and probably won't for several years. I wonder if it will upconvert s-video and composite to component also. That would be more useful to me.

#13027 - 05/21/04 01:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

when was the 1050 discontinued?

#13028 - 05/21/04 02:00 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

They sold the last units of the 1050's final production run last fall some time.

------------------

#13029 - 05/21/04 02:01 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Sounds great. I love the idea of DVI switching. Now the waiting game begins...

One question is the 2150 scheduled to be released at the end of the year also?

#13030 - 05/21/04 02:12 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

oh, so only one year between the two models. i guess that is not so bad. strange to discontinue a model without a replacement for it though. the sales must have just totally trailed off (availability of the 950 i guess). maybe this is why you see some companies not making pre/pros and receivers. outlaw has both, but seems to be cycling receiver and then pre/pro as to not hurt the others sales, but still give a newer highly anticipated product. at the prices that they sell their stuff, it is hard not to get seperates when you can do so for less than a lot of top receivers.

#13031 - 05/21/04 02:25 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
cburbs Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: de pere
7 channel amp? well they have the 7*100 and 7*200 what will this be a monster 7*300-500.

The 1070...if the price is near $1,000 will it be able to compete with the others in its price range?
All these receivers with auto calibration and people swear by it.....

time will only tell now where are the pictures?

#13032 - 05/21/04 03:10 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

I have to admit I didn't pay enough attention to the 7 channel amp. I work 1 block from the show so I was dropping by during lunch. They said the RR-2150 would be out late in the year but not specific. They were more specific that the 1070 would not be ready until the very end of the year as in Dec 31 midnight. No mention of price other than under 1K.

Thanks for the hosting offer Gonk. I have a site I just need to get home (8pm EST) and unload them from my camera. I am guessing someone else will post before I can. I have very low res shots anyway take with a Sony Clie. I have one 2mp shot of the back of the 1070 which may come out OK.

#13033 - 05/21/04 03:16 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the info Desperado. I love having something to look forward to.

I wonder if the new 7 channel amp is just an updated design or if they decided to do something like 150 watts. If they are doing more than 200, hold on to your cowboy hats Outlaws.

#13034 - 05/21/04 03:54 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

How much does it weigh?

#13035 - 05/21/04 03:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

I just got done searching the web and I can't find any pic's from the show at all. Anyone else have any luck?

Lasher

#13036 - 05/21/04 04:28 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

I almost got the photos posted but I hit a dead end.

I emailed them from my clie to my website but I can't telnet to my website. I really need to install a ftp or telnet client on my clie.

Gonk...I can forward them to you if you have access to your site now.

BTW: Harmony remote has some great deals at the show. The SST-659 for $100 and the newer SST-688 for $140. The SST-768 is $135 as well. These are great deals if you are going to the show.

------------------
Desperado - 1050 Owner - Reviews - Harmony SST-659 Remote

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited May 21, 2004).]

#13037 - 05/21/04 04:54 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Fire away - gonk "at" prillaman "dot" net - I'll get them uploaded and post a link here.

------------------

#13038 - 05/21/04 04:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk YOU DA MAN!!!

#13039 - 05/21/04 05:10 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Thanks Gonk and congratulations on 3000 posts!

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited May 21, 2004).]

#13040 - 05/21/04 05:41 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Photo's sent to gonk...

#13041 - 05/21/04 05:52 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

OK, kids, here's a fitting 3001st post (thanks for spotting that, JedM):

Outlaw HE2004 show pictures , courtesy of desperado.

I strongly recommend checking out model1070-rear2.jpg , as it gives a clear view of the 1070's inputs and outputs. Summary? Three component video inputs (plus one output), two DVI inputs (plus one output), an RS232 input, 6-channel analog input with analog bass management switch (including what appear to be three positions, which suggests that the 950's "double bass" condition can be defeated entirely on the 1070), three audio inputs (one with an output), four video inputs (one with an output), three coaxial digital inputs, three optical digital inputs, one each optical and coaxial digital outputs, IR in and out, and a 12V trigger.

------------------

#13042 - 05/21/04 05:57 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

A question for desperado: from this picture , it looks like the 1070 has a headphone jack and perhaps even a front A/V input. Am I reading that right?

------------------

#13043 - 05/21/04 06:00 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

I don't think anyone will be saying "ugly" anymore........lol. They both look sweet

#13044 - 05/21/04 06:08 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Looks great Outlaw. That 2 meg rear shot is nice. 3 component and 2 dvi; that should take care of pretty much everyone for a while.

The 2150 also looks much improved IMO. All around nice work.

#13045 - 05/21/04 06:10 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Is that 3 settings for Bass Management or are my eyes decieving me?

Lasher

#13046 - 05/21/04 06:13 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

That's the way I'm reading it, Lasher.

------------------

#13047 - 05/21/04 06:15 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

The bottom one looks like it says digital.

#13048 - 05/21/04 06:29 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

The middle one appears to say bypass.
Quote:
(thanks for spotting that, JedM
No problem Gonk. It was kinda weird that I noticed. I was reading the post that you were playing referee and for some reason I just wondered how high your post count was so I clicked on your profile and saw you were sitting on a milestone. I promise I didn't have a countdown going.

#13049 - 05/21/04 06:30 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Any chance it supports i-link for digital audio? Or does it only have an analog interface, for SACD's and DVD-A's?

#13050 - 05/21/04 06:35 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

I forgot to also ask about the back plate: Does it look like it's sourced from Eastech? Does it say made in Malaysia on the back?

#13051 - 05/21/04 06:43 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

I don't see an IEEE 1394 input on the back, so I'd assume they're staying with analog for DVD-Audio and SACD.

I like the optical ports they are using - Panasonic's had them for a while. Keeps the optics protected without requiring you to have a little box of those optical port covers around. Also, those are some pretty stout looking binding posts. I'll be curious to see what the next newsletter says about it.

------------------

#13052 - 05/21/04 06:49 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Yes, it does say made in Malaysia on the back. My guess would be eastech.

#13053 - 05/21/04 06:50 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
ryker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I hope we don't have to wait to long to get some actual specs and features on the 1070.

#13054 - 05/21/04 06:50 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Shucks, Gonk! I was hoping Outlaw would have the very first budget receiver on the market with a digital interface for DVD-Audio and SACD.

#13055 - 05/21/04 07:03 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Thanks Jed M! You have better eyes than I!
Quote:

They said they will be release at the end of the year and made it clear that this means at the VERY end of the year.

Or based on past predictions, perhaps a little afterwards?

#13056 - 05/21/04 07:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by George A:
I just came from the HEexpo 2004 in New York and saw the Outlaw room. The three new items they unveiled where: 1) I believe the replacement for the 1050 - an av receiver with 75wpc,, 7.1, and has a DVI switcher built-in. Price was quoted as being less than $1000. 2) A 300wpc X 7 channel amp with balanced inputs. 3) A 2 channel amp specifically designed for audio.

From here

amp with balanced inputs.

Who called that one?

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited May 21, 2004).]

#13057 - 05/21/04 08:46 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
A question for desperado: from this picture , it looks like the 1070 has a headphone jack and perhaps even a front A/V input. Am I reading that right?

I sure looks like a headphone jack but I am afraid I didn't pay attention to it. I wish I took a high res photo of the front. Sorry I didn't do a better job. It was hard to take these shots because they didn't allow much time to see the new equipment. It was in a room that they were doing demos in. They had the door closed unless you were inside for the demo. I guess we need to hear from others that attended the show.

#13058 - 05/21/04 10:40 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Either way, desperado, you got some good stuff for us. I suspect we'll see a newsletter with at least a few more details next week.

------------------

#13059 - 05/22/04 02:47 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
What do you suppose you do with an RS-232 serial connection on the 1070?

#13060 - 05/22/04 05:27 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
... amp with balanced inputs.

Who called that one?

good call JT!

Two questions for the master prognosticator...

1) Would you think that a seven channel balanced amp would be a foreshadow of a seven channel balanced pre-pro in Outlaw's future?

2) Would the new Outlaw two channel amp also include balanced inputs?

ATI amps have balanced inputs, and I believe they are built at the same facility as Outlaw's amps. For those who have audio gear that use balanced I/O, the inclusion of pre-amps and amps with balanced connections would be very welcome.

#13061 - 05/22/04 12:35 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by AGAssarsson:
good call JT!
Two questions for the master prognosticator...
1) Would you think that a seven channel balanced amp would be a foreshadow of a seven channel balanced pre-pro in Outlaw's future?

yes, i would bet on it.

#13062 - 05/22/04 12:36 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Me too.

#13063 - 05/22/04 02:02 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by sfw:
What do you suppose you do with an RS-232 serial connection on the 1070?

Most likely scenario is firmware updates (such as the DTS-ES fix that the 950 got with a chip swap-out).

------------------

#13064 - 05/22/04 06:47 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
fireman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Trois-Rivičres, Québec, Canada
I have been looking at buying a receiver for a while now. For some reason, I never quite found what I was looking for. Either the receivers having the features I wanted were too expensive or those I could buy sounded awful or didn't have what I was looking for.

Then I remembered about Outlaw Audio. I signed in on this forum just in time to get a copy of Soundhound's organ CDs. Then I heard about the new stuff the Outlaws would show at the HE Expo in New York. Unless the published specs for the 1070 are way off or the price is way over a grand, that's what I'm gonna get when it becomes available.

I never intended to spend that much money on a receiver because I always felt that an important part of the price went to the middle man. Living in Canada, I can also attest that the price of receivers here are at least 25-30% higher than in the USA even after factoring in the exchange rate !!! Since buying from the USA was out of the question because the US warranties are not valid in Canada, that would have left me with an over priced receiver.

Having read a whole bunch of posts about Outlaw products in this forum, I now know that this is a good and trusty company. I've never been so eager to see the end of a year. :-)

I can't wait to see the published specs and then order this baby. Boy oh boy, it's gonna be a long 6 months.

#13065 - 05/22/04 11:02 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Just got home from NYC (went down yesterday morning, got home this evening). Here are some pictures from the Outlaw Audio demo room .

I'm tired. Will answer questions tomorrow.

pat----

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#13066 - 05/22/04 11:35 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Great Pic's Thanks for posting them Pat Did not see the 2ch amp though? Was there one there?

Lasher

[This message has been edited by Lasher (edited May 22, 2004).]

#13067 - 05/23/04 12:42 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Is the 1070 blue?

In this picture from Gonk it looks blue: http://www.prillaman.net/outlaw_he2004/model1070-front.jpg

But in this picture from Pat it looks black: http://www.sklenar.info/images/outlaw/m_PICT0631.jpg

#13068 - 05/23/04 09:22 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Lasher,

Nope, I didn't see a two channel amp. Sorry.

Will,

The 1070 is matte black, just like all of the non-"RR" units.

pat----

#13069 - 05/23/04 10:44 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

With regards to the color, don't forget we are looking at protype models, not the final production piece.

#13070 - 05/23/04 12:04 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Color's hard to judge since lighting is going to have a big effect (speaking as the son of a metalsmith with a bachelor's in photography). The color on pat's pics looks to be more accurate.

The front inputs on the 1070 are interesting - I thought that's what I was seeing on desperado's pics. Dolby Headphone, Pro Logic IIx, DTS-ES, DTS-96/24 are all listed... Pretty comprehensive collection.

------------------

#13071 - 05/23/04 01:29 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
bobc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: westbury,ny,usa
the new amp is 300watts per channel and has 2 plugs which need a dedicated 15 amp line each

#13072 - 05/23/04 01:47 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

i'm not sure about the plugs and switches, but when i asked if it (the 790) would work on a single dedicated 20A outlet, the answer was yes.

pat----

#13073 - 05/23/04 03:33 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the new pics Pat. They really bring out the colors. The sculptured look of the RR2150 is really artistic. I don't know if it would match my decor, but I give them a lot of credit for doing something outside the box. The 1070 looks improved too. I thought the buttons may have been green from the first pics. That is something I could easily blend into my home.

Regardless of what the rack's specifications are, would anybody else besides me be extremely apprehensive about double stacking two amps on their top shelf? Makes me nervous just looking at it, but I did gain a new level of respect for their racks.

#13074 - 05/23/04 04:37 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Gonk,

Quote:

The color on pat's pics looks to be more accurate.

Based on your pictures, the 1070 looks blue. But you're saying that's not as accurate as Pat's pictures which shows the 1070 as being, really, black. If so, the wonders of photography never cease to amaze!

#13075 - 05/23/04 06:21 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Will, trust me that metal can often photograph inaccurately. I've got a picture somewhere of a fine silver plaque that looks green (fitting for this forum ) because of nearby grass. Looking at desperado's pics and Pat's pics, it is clear that the overall color balance in Pat's shots is closer to true.

I'm surprised no one else has made mention of the absence of green power buttons...

------------------

#13076 - 05/23/04 06:32 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Quote:
...I'm surprised no one else has made mention of the absence of green power buttons...

I did in NYC & eyes just rolled.

btw, I wrote and asked about the RS232 (believe it or not, I didn't notice that until I was working on the photos last night) and Peter wrote back this morning to say that it IS for upgrade purposes.

pat----

#13077 - 05/23/04 06:43 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Its funny you say that Gonk. After I got done writing my opinion of the 2150 and 1070 in my last post, I wrote that I liked the look of the new amp without the green power button, but then I decided to erase it right before I posted because I didn't want to go down that road again.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited May 23, 2004).]

#13078 - 05/23/04 08:03 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I went to the show on Friday and could have spent a lot more time. So much to wander around and see/hear. However as this is the home of Outlaw, I wanted to add only a couple of things to what has already been reported. The feature was the LFM and it completely blew me away (and many others I heard talking through the halls as well). Really an amazing sub and even more so for the price.

The 2150 completely caught my attention (and the part of me that really wants stuff) It is truly something to see. I can assume the sound will be there as well. It stands out in a field of plain vanilla looking components. It would be a great beginning to a seperate 2 channel system. Also, as for the queries about color, I am remebering the non silver details as blue on the 2150.

Finally, there were only three or four rooms that had lines waiting to get inside. No matter when my travels brought me back by the Outlaw room, the line was always there. In a show packed with possible stops, this made me feel great about Outlaw.
As Peter told me when I stopped to say how much I loved the components (he had asked who in the room were owners and three of us all had 950/770), "Tell your friends about us we're only a small company".
Yeah I said but you're growing in all the right ways.

Great company, knowledgable community of Outlaws and a pleasure to be a part of.

#13079 - 05/23/04 11:57 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Does Peter still run another larger audio company, besides Outlaw?

#13080 - 05/24/04 09:07 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Does Peter still run another larger audio company, besides Outlaw?

I don't know but the speakers used in the room were Vifas, not ATs.

#13081 - 05/24/04 09:22 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

I'm 99.99% sure that he is still in charge of Atlantic Technologies as well.

As for the Vifa's ... they're not available in North America at this time. They did sound pretty nice. But as another poster wrote (I think it was on this forum), the real goal of the demo's they were running was to show off the LFM-1.

pat----

#13082 - 05/24/04 10:26 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Andrew jc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Worcester,MA
Pat thanks for posting the pictures of the 1070. It should be an interesting 6 months around here. Anyone know why Outlaw is being hammered in the other forums?

#13083 - 05/24/04 10:43 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

To be honest, damned if I know. Ever since they released the original Model 1050 over four years ago they've tended to attract a very polarized response ...

There are some people who are appalled that a company would cut out the local a/v retailer - During the beta and release of the Model 950, there was at least one rep from a competitor who sold only via the retail channel who was bad mouthing the Outlaws to no end. Of course, he did so under an pseudonym, but he was recognized by the Outlaws.

There are some who, for some unknown reason, have had a personality clash with the Outlaws. There are some who refuse to accept the Outlaws as the designers of their own equipment and believe them to be nothing more than re-badge artists. There are some who have spent a lot more than what Outlaw charges for their equipment who can't accept that someone else could produce a product that sounds as good, or nearly so, for so much less than they paid. etc etc etc.

pat----

#13084 - 05/24/04 02:43 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

I know what you mean about the Outlaw Bashers. I started the thread over at AVS because I believed they would want to see the pic's. Instead of getting feedback the bashers came out in force(and they go out of their way to get there first). It really is sad to think that new comers to that forum will get such a bad impression of Outlaw.

Lasher

#13085 - 05/24/04 03:38 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

The dark side can have a strong influence over the weak-minded! Lol! Seriously, if people want to spend there money on what they feel fits there needs, aint nothin' gonna stop'em! I deal with this regularly at my part time gig with Home Depot. People will ask my opinion about what products to use for a specific job and there will always be a percentage who will do it the cheap/get it done for as little as possible route. It is SCARY the ideas some people have about how to do things. That being said, if I could swing a 1070, those rounded edges would match my Ascend 170's to a tee!

#13086 - 05/24/04 04:13 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

The thread I started at HTF has gone pretty well but relatively unnoticed. I was impressed that it brought Razvan out of the woodwork. That guy never ceases to amaze me.

As far as why Outlaw has a negative feel on other forums, I'm not real sure. I can say that Outlaw does seem to have pretty fierce loyalty that can be taken to a fault. I think some Outlaws take criticism of the products personally, when its obviously not. The same devoted following has plagued Rocket speakers on AVS also. Why anybody would read AVS unless they are looking for a projector is beyond me. A bunch of fanboys fighting all day, not to mention its run like a frickin prison. But that's off topic.

Personally I can't wait to find out more about this receiver (1070). I really like the looks.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited May 24, 2004).]

#13087 - 05/24/04 11:54 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Mono Man Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Princeton, NJ
The Outlaws reached out to masses at the Home Entertainment Show. The tempest in the A/V forums seemed to matter little as erstwhile Peter relentlessly belted out the words "quality and value" to all those who would brave the lines to see and hear the Outlaw sound and vision, hour after hour, day after day. I don't know where they get the juice to do it.
They almost made the walls fall down. (As matter of fact in one of Peters rare moments of repose, he leaned over and almost knocked the scaffolding that supported their projector down. Scott, ever the watchdog discreetly screamed "PETER!!!")

Good show. Good product. I proudly tip my new Outlaw cap to them and look forward to
their bountiful future.

PS: Arica9 TKR

#13088 - 05/26/04 08:48 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
polonius Offline
Gunslinger

I'm guessing it'll be priced around $700 to be competitive with the $1000 MSRP gang [H/K AVR630, Denon 3805, Onkyo TXNR801, Marantz SR-7400, Yamaha RXV-2400 & NAD T753]. While I'm at it I'll also predict a sweet deal if packaged with the LFM-1, say $1149.

#13089 - 05/26/04 09:02 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jed M:
The thread I started at HTF has gone pretty well but relatively unnoticed. I was impressed that it brought Razvan out of the woodwork. That guy never ceases to amaze me. ...

wow! i went and looked at that old thread you found and linked to it ... i guess i'd tried to forget about how nasty some of the exchanges had gotten back then. on the other hand ... i'm actually sort of impressed at my writing ... looking back on my words so many years later, either i write/present far better than i think i do, or someone else wrote all that stuff with my name on it!

pat----

[This message has been edited by psklenar (edited May 26, 2004).]

#13090 - 05/26/04 01:42 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
I've enjoyed seeing the pictures and reading the thoughts and responses in this forum by all who post here. I'm trying to get a handle on the new Outlaw gear to be offered, but one thing has me puzzled. Where is the "official" info from Outlaw? I know that these products are not yet finalized, but come on, give us some high quality photos and some detailed info. We understand that specifications are subject to change before production starts, but it certainly would be nice to have more detail. How about it?
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#13091 - 05/26/04 02:19 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

They did that when the 950 was due to be released and got hammered for it. The original release date was pushed back and many eager consumers took offense. The Outlaws have learned a hard lesson on giving out too much early info. Let's just give'em the benefit of the doubt!

#13092 - 05/26/04 02:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

The sad thing is they only got really hammered by 3 or 4 people. Reading that thread Pat is referring to makes me shake my head at the immaturity of the people who just couldn't wait. If I would have replied I know I wouldn't have been able to keep my composure like Pat did.

I think Outlaw could release more information as long as they don't hint at release dates like they did during the 950 debacle. Just tell us, "its coming and if you can't wait there are other products on the market." As much as I love Outlaw, in all fairness they did do a good job in their newsletters of trying to persuade you to not buy anything else and just wait because the 950 was just around the corner. That I believe was the heart of most peoples beef with Outlaw. If they just cut that out of the mix I don't see how giving us info is harmful.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited May 26, 2004).]

#13093 - 05/26/04 03:10 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

We will probably see a newsletter at some point summarizing what they were showing (model number, basic features). As cadboy has said, however, Outlaw will in all likelihood leave this information intentionally general to avoid the feeding frenzy of interest (and subsequent product bashing) that will result. Once they have some pre-production or beta production units in hand and feel that they're down to final tweaking and maunfacturing ramp-up, they'll start offering more details.

------------------

#13094 - 05/26/04 03:13 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Quote:
The sad thing is they only got really hammered by 3 or 4 people. ...

Jed,

actually, at the time, there were closer to a dozen folks on several forums (5 that i can recall) who seemed to have made it their life's ambition to slap down any positive comments about Outlaw.

Quote:
... Reading that thread Pat is referring to makes me shake my head at the immaturity of the people who just couldn't wait. ...

and that was one of the more civil threads! there were at least two whole threads that i can recall that were actually deleted. one on each of the two "big" forums.

Quote:
... If I would have replied I know I wouldn't have been able to keep my composure like Pat did.

i'm not so sure i kept it all that well all the time back then ... a lot of the attacks were quite personal. but i tried. thanks for noticing. maybe i did better than i thought i had.

pat----

#13095 - 05/26/04 03:51 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Maybe I'm wrong, but the ability for anyone to post anonymously has got to be the number one reason why some threads / posts are less than civil.

Personally, and again this is just my opinion, I feel that the courage of your convictions should be backed-up by the courage to use your real name. Anyone who posts in an uncivilized manner using anything but, is simply a coward.

Jeff Mackwood

#13096 - 05/26/04 04:52 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
musiciseverything Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
"I feel that the courage of your convictions should be backed-up by the courage to use your real name. Anyone who posts in an uncivilized manner using anything but, is simply a coward."

Jeff, amen to that. I believe that there is too much money at stake in the retail world of audio and when companies like Outlaw bypass the retail, the retail folks feel threatened. In this case, the quality of the product is not the issue, just the money.

Tom G

[This message has been edited by musiciseverything (edited May 26, 2004).]

#13097 - 05/26/04 07:20 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by psklenar:

As for the Vifa's ... they're not available in North America at this time.

Well, they are, kind of. You can get kit speakers from Madisound that use Vifa drivers. I did and I like them a lot.

#13098 - 05/26/04 07:21 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
(Duplicate post)

[This message has been edited by Spiker (edited May 26, 2004).]

#13099 - 05/26/04 08:06 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
Maybe I'm wrong, but the ability for anyone to post anonymously has got to be the number one reason why some threads / posts are less than civil.

Personally, and again this is just my opinion, I feel that the courage of your convictions should be backed-up by the courage to use your real name. Anyone who posts in an uncivilized manner using anything but, is simply a coward.

Jeff Mackwood

Are you speaking of audio people? I mean like the Outlaws such as Scott or other manufacturers, or everybody? I like being somewhat anonymous and let some people know more as I get to know them better. I used to post here under my real name, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. I switched and felt much better. Anyone remember the other one?

#13100 - 05/26/04 08:56 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Anyone remember the other one?
Keyser Soze?

#13101 - 05/27/04 12:22 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

JT,

I was very careful in my choice of words.

I respect that people wish to remain anonymous. However I don't respect when they hide behind it while behaving in a disrespectful manner.

As I have posted previously, I'm all for good healthy debate and disagreement - anonymous or otherwise. But if someone feels so strongly about a point that they must resort to hurling insults to try to make it, unless they shed their cloak of anonymity while doing so, I would consider them a coward to their convictions.

That's how I feel in my daily life - and I see no reason why I should feel any different when I'm in a forum such as this.

But I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone who simply wants to remain anonymous.

Jeff Mackwood

#13102 - 05/27/04 01:50 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i am interested to see if the outlaws put multiroom in the 1070 seeing as they asked us to help product plan. the results from that were mixed i guess, with a slight unforunate edge to dont have it... does anyone know?

#13103 - 05/27/04 01:52 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone remember the other one?
Keyser Soze?

that is a very good movie, especially the first time you see it. made me start to like kevin spacey.

#13104 - 05/27/04 01:55 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
As I have posted previously, I'm all for good healthy debate and disagreement - anonymous or otherwise. But if someone feels so strongly about a point that they must resort to hurling insults to try to make it, unless they shed their cloak of anonymity while doing so, I would consider them a coward to their convictions.
Jeff Mackwood

how would one shed their cloak of anonymity? by typing their name at the end of their posts? posting their address, telephone number, and social security number?

ill start.

this message has been posted by curious george, aka curegeorg, anyone needing to contact me can feel free to do so at ph: 911.
lol

#13105 - 05/27/04 01:59 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

heres my new more revealing signature....

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13106 - 05/27/04 07:35 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
JT,

I was very careful in my choice of words.

I respect that people wish to remain anonymous. However I don't respect when they hide behind it while behaving in a disrespectful manner.

That's how I feel in my daily life - and I see no reason why I should feel any different when I'm in a forum such as this.

But I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone who simply wants to remain anonymous.

Jeff Mackwood

Exactly. I too can't stand the cowards who throw nasty insults around because they think they can't be seen.

#13107 - 05/27/04 08:00 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

an interesting debate you two are having. i say interesting because one of the two forums where things got the most out of hand (both during the 1050 beta & release and later during the 950 beta & release) is a forum that requires a "real" name.

pat----

#13108 - 05/27/04 08:35 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Was that on this forum? I don't remember that. I wasn't here for the 1050 beta & release, but I was here for the 950. Was that just for the beta testers or for everyone involved in the discussions?

#13109 - 05/27/04 08:50 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

JT,

no, the worst of the "attack threads" were primarily over on the two largest AV forums, one of which requires a "real name" for your screen name.

pat----

#13110 - 05/27/04 09:38 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i am interested to see if the outlaws put multiroom in the 1070 seeing as they asked us to help product plan. the results from that were mixed i guess, with a slight unforunate edge to dont have it... does anyone know?

Judging from the pictures of the rear panel, I would guess that they decided not to include it.

------------------

#13111 - 05/27/04 10:28 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
how would one shed their cloak of anonymity?...

The point that Jeff is making is quite true -- the ability to hide behind a keyboard and modem brings out the worst in a lot of people. Even when they use their real names (as is the case on HTF), people can use the facelessness of the internet to say things and act in a manner that would not happen face to face.

------------------

#13112 - 05/27/04 11:24 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

well i think that is part of the fun, yes i would be a little more polite in person, however i woudl still be thinking what i am saying. and just word it a little more nicely. everyone should appreciate honesty.

#13113 - 05/27/04 11:37 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

But that's not (specifically) the issue that Jeff was originally addressing, although it could be applied to that as well. Jeff was talking about numerous threads and individuals, primarily on other forums, who used the Internet as a platform for rudeness and obnoxiousness of a very accelerated degree.

Speaking for myself, I speak (type) the same online as I would face to face -- the only difference is that I answer to "Jim" in person rather than "gonk". That's not to say that there's anything wrong with being a bit more open and vocal online than in person, just my personal style.

------------------

#13114 - 05/27/04 01:21 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Yeah, he's referring to people who feel they can get away with acting so rude precisely because it is anonymous.

#13115 - 05/27/04 02:01 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

yeah that does suck.

#13116 - 05/27/04 02:09 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Or even worse, they could really be that big of jerks in real life and that is why they spend so much time ridiculing us as their captive audience since nobody in real life wants anything to do with them. I agree that most are hiding behind being anonymous and are actually mild mannered offline, but there are a handful I can't help but think thats just really the way they are; ignorant and lacking social graces.

#13117 - 05/27/04 04:57 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

It looks like the 1070 will not have AC convenience outlets either

#13118 - 05/28/04 01:27 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
lotus_j Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside
To get this thread back on track...

The 1070 appears to have EVERYTHING you could want in a receiver EXCEPT for I-Link and a 2nd zone.

It doesn't have a lot of amp power, but seeing as how they have a very NAD-like approach to things it makes sense.

A 2nd zone can be nice, but most people DON'T use it. If they saved money without it, then bless them.

Hopefully they used some Burr-Browns and all that and I'll buy this receiver fast.

#13119 - 05/28/04 01:53 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

What about the AC outlets

#13120 - 05/28/04 02:22 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Use a trigger and a power strip.

#13121 - 05/28/04 02:54 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Lotus_j makes a good point - it does look pretty comprehensive. The power rating is not exactly eye-popping compared to some other receivers in the price range, but two thoughts come to mind:

The 1050's amp section was widely considered to be very conservatively rated at 65W/channel (suggesting that the 1070 will also offer a lot of "oomph" for that same 65W). Also, the little info card sitting on top of the 1070 at the show (which Pat was kind enough to photograph ) said "ALL channels driven," which is unusual for a receiver amp. If they've really got a receiver capable of providing 65W to all seven channels at the same time, that suggests good things in general for the 1070's amp section.

------------------

#13122 - 05/28/04 03:01 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
What about the AC outlets

Quote:
Use a trigger and a power strip.

It's probably just as well to omit unswitched AC outlets -- there's enough clutter on the back of a modern surround sound processor or receiver without needlessly tying even more stuff to it -- but some people really like the switched outlet. A switched outlet on a receiver would not be wise for use with an amp (which wants as uncluttered a path for power as possible), but could be used to turn a CD player on and off rather conveniently. JT's suggestion of a power strip and the trigger output may seem a bit flip, but it is a useful alternative. In fact, I've found much greater flexibility in using the trigger output and a Panamax MAX5100 than I could with switched AC outlets on the back of a receiver -- and that solution does prevent anyone from unknowingly hooking an amp to the receiver's switched outlet. (Note: I don't know if that was Outlaw's reasoning for omitting a switched outlet, but it is a line of reasoning that would explain the decision.)

------------------

#13123 - 05/28/04 03:05 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Probably by early next year budget receivers with I-link will be sold. I know Sony Yamaha and Pioneer have it on higher priced receivers now. Maybe Eastech is working on i-link? Maybe the list of features of the 1070 aren't set in stone?

#13124 - 05/28/04 03:42 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Not that it makes a huge difference, but didn't someone say that the 1070 will have 75 watts/channel instead of 65 like the 1050 had? I think I'm using the AC outlets on my current receiver, but I don't think they're really necessary. There will almost always be a power strip right there anyway as the TV, DVD & CD players (etc) will also be there as well. My components that (may be) are plugged into the receiver need to be turned on anyway, so what's the point? Granted, not every unit will behave like that.

#13125 - 05/28/04 05:31 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
lotus_j Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside
gonk- That is why I mentioned Outlaw's very NAD-like stance on power wattage. NAD has been famous for having receivers with low watt ratings be able to get good sound out of power hungry speakers. I've never read a review of a NAD receiver or amp where the writer complained about the power available.

I'd rather have 65 NAD Watts vs. most others 100 watts. I put Outlaw in the same category. I'd much rather have 65 Outlaw watts than 100 sony, pioneer, etc. watts.

While it might not have I-link, it may have much better DACs than the rest of the bunch. Digital decoding, etc. isn't all that important to me. The quality of the DAC and how good the power is. Those are important.

Plus someone help me out here. I-Link is a modified fire-wire developed to carry digital audio of either DVD-A or SACD correct. I've heard that I-Link can only send out 2 channel information, and it doesnt send out multi-channel. Is this correct?

If it is, then I don't really see the need for it.

JT- I said 65 Watts because the blurb on the 1070 model at the show said "65 watts."

[This message has been edited by lotus_j (edited May 28, 2004).]

#13126 - 05/28/04 05:59 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

As you may know, Outlaw can trace some of its roots back to NAD (at least one Outlaw used to work for them), so the similarity comes as no surprise.

I-Link is one of several (too many) different names for the same thing: IEEE-1394. Firewire is another, more common name for it. From what I understand, 1394 was accepted as the digital audio interface to be used with high resolution digital audio such as that used on DVD-Audio and SACD. It was intended for use with multichannel audio, so it should carry a full six-channel digital signal. The acceptance of 1394 as the interface is several years old, but the encryption used across 1394 was not included in that acceptance. It took longer to hash that out, leading to a few proprietary approaches (most notably be Denon and Pioneer). That obstacle is only now falling away.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited May 28, 2004).]

#13127 - 05/28/04 09:24 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
I was at the HE show in NY.
The new amplifier is 7 channel @ 300 watts per channel.

Keep in mind the standard home circuit is 15 Amp 120V, so it can provide 1800 watts max (on a good day). 7 channel @ 300 watts is 2100 watts, plus power dissipated in the unit. So the std 15 Amp home circuit won't do! (yeah, I have a degree in Elec Engr)

Outlaws said they had not yet decided on how to supply power - two wires / plugs or one?

#13128 - 05/28/04 10:43 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by dengor:
... Outlaws said they had not yet decided on how to supply power - two wires / plugs or one?

Picture of back of Model 790

pat----

#13129 - 05/28/04 11:48 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Oooohhh. Balanced connections. It's still a prototype, right? They might change it. 6 months is a long time. Do I see dual 1800 watt power supplies on that thing? One on each side.

#13130 - 05/28/04 11:49 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Keta Offline
Desperado

I find it odd that some of the small print on the amp is in French. The warning label says AVIS which I believe is "Advice" and on the right side is Voir le Cahier D' Instruction which I think is "The Schedule of Instruction". Probably means check the Owners manual. Why would this demo unit have residual French writing. Some of the French Canadians should be able to translate a bit better than me. Maybe the units will be made in Canada helping some of the Gunslingers up there with duties.

#13131 - 05/29/04 03:25 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
I-Link is one of several (too many) different names for the same thing: IEEE-1394 ... From what I understand, 1394 was accepted as the digital audio interface to be used with high resolution digital audio such as that used on DVD-Audio and SACD. It was intended for use with multi-channel audio, so it should carry a full six-channel digital signal. The acceptance of 1394 as the interface is several years old, but the encryption used across 1394 was not included in that acceptance. It took longer to hash that out, leading to a few proprietary approaches (most notably be Denon and Pioneer). That obstacle is only now falling away.

That obstacle is only now falling away!!!
Gonk!
Is there a chance that in the not too distant future, 1394 (firewire) connections will be the standard between all multi-channel players and pre-amps? I thought that it would eventually happen, but the copyright police would be dragged kicking and ... someday...

Why would anyone buy an expensive player today, if they knew that a non-proprietary format (firewire) was on the horizon? Or a pre-amp without firewire inputs for that matter?

curious...
Allan

#13132 - 05/29/04 05:04 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Most CD and DVD players have analog and digital connections. The digital connections are coax and/or optical. Either can transmit the stereo CDs, DTS CDs, DTS DVDs, Dolby Digital DVDs, etc. Although there's an anlog connection, it's not used much, except for stereo CDs. Analog normally isn't used for DTS DVDs or Dolby Digital DVDs.

The first digital standard connection for DVD-A and SACD transmission is 5C/DTCP with 1394, commonly referred to as i.link audio. There will be other standard digital connections that handle DVD-A and SACD, later, like HDMI presumably. But DVD-A and SACD on HDMI is not implemented yet in any chipset and probably won't be in any product sold for well over a year. Even after it first comes out in a product, it may be years before it's in a critical mass of products. The first i.link audio (5C/DTCP with 1394) chips were out years ago. The first products with i.link were sold over 18 months ago. As of a few months ago, only about three major brands sold products with i.link. But two or three more major brands plan to introduce i.link products in the next few months. Currently no budget receiver supports i.link audio.

Needless to say 2 channel analog will continue to be around and supported. So will digital optical and digital coax for stereo CDs, DD DVDs, DTS DVDs etc. Similarly, 6 channel analog will continue to be supported for DVD-A and SACD, and co-exist with i.link audio (5C/DTCP with 1394). Likewise i.link audio should co-exist with HDMI v2 if and when HDMI appears. They should all co-exist like with video, where s-video and component and composite video coexist.

The 5C/DTCP standard allows protected transmission of copy-protected material. Five companies, Hitachi, Intel, Matsushita, Sony and Toshiba prepared the "5C" Digital Transmission Content Protection "DTCP" specification. DTCP is a cryptographic protocol for protecting audio/video content from being copied over digital buses like 1394.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 30, 2004).]

#13133 - 05/29/04 12:26 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

New newsletter:

Quote:
Specifically, it is important to clear the air with regards to one important
issue about all three of the new electronics products previewed in New York.
Each of these items is a unique product based on concepts conceptualized and
developed by the Outlaws.

The software design for the two receivers and the hardware topology and
component selection for all three new products were created and specified by the
Outlaws. The actual systems design and integration is being done by engineers
and consultants under our direct supervision. These are TOTALLY NEW platforms
that will NOT be available from any other brand or through any other
distribution channel. Finally, as you can see from the photos on some of the
forums, the industrial design is also all new, and like the systems design it is
ours, and ours ALONE.

Please remember that all of the products previewed during the Home Entertainment
Show are scheduled for production towards the end of the year, and at this point
we have not announced any firm delivery dates or final pricing.

· The RR 2150 Receiver was on display in close to final form, as promised
in the recent Newsletter. This will likely be the very first of the new products
to arrive, and thanks to its combination of contemporary electronics and
stunning “retro” industrial design; it will be a must-have for all serious music
lovers.

· Expanding our amplifier offerings, the Model 790 Power Amplifier will
capitalize on unique and innovative circuit topology to deliver 300 watts per
channel with all seven channels driven. Designed for those who want the ultimate
in power and performance, the Model 790 will also feature balanced inputs.

· Also as noted in the Newsletter, we will have both DVI-D to DVI-D and
DVI-D to HDMI cables available by Labor Day.

Finally, the Newsletter’s hint that our big announcement is related to the DVI
cables was the first preview of our Model 1070 Receiver. Scheduled to ship
before the end of the year, it will offer all the latest surround modes
(including Dolby ProLogic IIx, Dolby Virtual Surround and Dolby Headphone).

Among it’s many features will be:
· High quality video cross-conversion so that only one component video
connection is needed between the Model 1070 and your video display
· RS-232 connectivity for bi-directional control of the receiver by a
computer or keypad system as well as full upgrade capability for both the
software library and the unit’s operating system
· A total of eight digital inputs (four coax/four optical)
· Three assignable, high-bandwidth component video inputs
· A 7 x 65 watt amplifier with the power and performance made famous by
our first receiver, the legendary Model 1050
· AND FINALLY, in keeping with the Model 1050’s tradition of firsts, the
Model 1070 will include a two input DVI switcher for your HDTV and
high-resolution video input sources: The first affordable receiver with such
circuitry

As announced at the show the price of the receiver is expected to be “under
$1000”. Of course, the exact price and how much “under $1,000” will be
determined as we get a bit closer to production at the end of the year.

#13134 - 05/29/04 12:27 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Keta,

The French notices etc are pretty standard practice if you intend to sell anything in North America - since they are required in Canada. It saves the hassle and cost of having to produce different ones for US and Canadian sales - although it does result in a slightly higher up front cost.

The translation is basicaly "Notice - See the Owner's Manual."

I would be very surprised if Outlaw sourced the manufacture from more than one location - and even more surprised if they sourced it in Canada. Somewhere in the Far East might be a good bet.

If they were made in the US, there would likely be no duties to be paid in Canada - under the FTA. PST and GST (taxes) apply regardless. The real killer are the brokerage fees associated with UPS Ground shipments. These could be avoided if Outlaw had a Canadian distribution and repair centre. Although there might have to be a relatively small cost per unit to cover the bulk shipment costs to the distribution centre, its operation etc. - although (again) that would likely be offset by much higher sales volume (ie. profits). But I've stood on this soap box many times already - and Outlaw has made no public moves to make this happen..

Jeff Mackwood

#13135 - 05/29/04 03:23 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i dont know why you guys are so concerned with ilink/firewire, its not the end all.

as far as power ratings go, yes a lot of companies rate one channel driven playing a test tone, but others rate all channels driven playing simulated music. the outlaws and nad are not the only ones to do so, you see this in a lot of higher end receivers. not pioneer, panasonic, sony, etc. though

------------------

#13136 - 05/29/04 08:01 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

I don't quite understand it either. Maybe it's because we seem to be so close to having a standard digital interface for DVD-Audio and SACD?

#13137 - 05/29/04 10:27 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
I don't quite understand it either. Maybe it's because we seem to be so close to having a standard digital interface for DVD-Audio and SACD?

im taking this as sarcasm... whats so wrong with analog outs?

#13138 - 05/29/04 10:53 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
im taking this as sarcasm...

I do understand where that statement is coming from. Don't.

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited May 29, 2004).]

#13139 - 05/29/04 10:57 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Nothing - except that any processing would then have to be done in the analogue domain OR the signal would need to be re-converted to digital. Which would then beg the question: why not keep it digital to start with?

We have analogue connections for DVD-A and SACD not because the hardware to play them could not have been first introduced with fully compatible digital connections, but because the powers-to-be are terrified of letting us have access to nice, clean, pure - and potentially copyable digital signals. Better technology will always appear to them as a threat - rather than the opportunity that it really is.

And personally, I have a problem with any power-to-be who tries to keep me in the stone age - relatively speaking.

Jeff Mackwood

#13140 - 05/30/04 12:50 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i did not realize that dvd-a and sacd got processed further after it was read off of the disc and output as analog. i thought it was decoded by the player, output as analog (bypass everything in processor as far as decoding) and amplified to the speakers. however, i do not have any multichannel audio so i could be wrong... i do see the advantages of a digital connection to the processor where better dacs could then more efficiently process the sound, however if the dvd player had good enough ones to start with the notion is moot. eventually it will turn into analog anyway, and i dont see how it matters where it is decoded as long as it is done so at a high level of quality.

as gonk has pointed out before with one cable carrying all the information (video and audio in his example), it is going to suck for people who do not want the audio and video to go to the same place...

the one advantage i see with one cable connecting rather than 6 is that it would cost less to buy that one cable...

------------------

#13141 - 05/30/04 03:16 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Many DVD players can decode Dolby Digital or DTS into 5.1 analog signals today. But most people use the one digital connection for DTS and DD movies instead of the 6 analog cables. Likewise, when there's a digital connection for DVD-A and SACD, most people use it. It's more convenient to decode in the receiver. Also, there's no 6 analog cables.
Quote:

With one cable carrying all the information (video and audio in his example), it is going to suck for people who do not want the audio and video to go to the same place

I.link is mostly audio not video. But future versions of HDMI (maybe version 2?) should carry audio and video.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 30, 2004).]

#13142 - 05/30/04 09:06 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

If the output unit still has other types of output connections then it may be possible to get around the one cable sending the signal. I would suck to have to buy another cable, but at least it's only two cables now instead of 7. I'm sure the new cable will cost quite a bit, but will it really be as much as the 6 or 7 others? I hope not.

#13143 - 05/30/04 10:52 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
i did not realize that dvd-a and sacd got processed further after it was read off of the disc and output as analog.
The further processing need not be anything as elaborate as surround processing but something as simple as time alignment and bass management, which would most people would prefer to do in the digital domain (since the source is digital to begin with).

Best,
Sanjay

#13144 - 05/30/04 11:39 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

The idea is to keep the digital data digital until after the processing is complete. Of course if you were forced to convert to analog, you could do some bass management processing with the Outlaw ICBM. But it's considered preferable to do bass management and in the digital domain, where possible. Ditto with time alignment. Yes some DVD players can do this in the digital domain before converting the signal to analog. But since bass management and time alignment processing is probably already done in your receiver or pre/pro anyway for DTS and Dolby Pro Logic, it's more convenient to it for DVD-A and SACD there using the same settings and calibration procedures. Or you could set up and calibrate using the DVD player as well. The DVD player may not have all the bass managemnent and time alignment features your pre/pro or receiver has.
Quote:

JT Clark asks
I'm sure the new cable will cost quite a bit, but will it really be as much as the 6 or 7 others? I hope not.

The price of just the one 1394 cable for i.link is often less than the cost of just one of the (better) analog interconnect cables.

#13145 - 05/30/04 11:42 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

that is what i thought, good dvd players can process the signal to the most of its potential before sending it out as analog. it is cheaper to keep upgrading dvd players than processors, so you could do so (upgrade) more often utilizing better and better dacs in the future... i guess it is easier to calibrate you processor only to maximize its potential, but surely it cannot be too difficult to do so also for your dvd player.

on my denon 910, i actually like the fact that it has minimal options (granted its not sacd or dvda with more options needed), but on my old pioneer elite there were hundreds of settings that always nagged at my mind as to which way was best.... typically i would prefer the most options possible as it allows the most control, but i have come to the conclusion that if someone else can do something for me and it is as good as i could do it myself, then why waste all my time and energy trying to do it for myself... i have better/more enjoyable things in my life than to contemplate whether to turn mosquito noise reduction on or off, and if my gamma levels are just quite perfect for each movie i watch... etc.

------------------

#13146 - 05/31/04 02:41 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Tony S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montclair, NJ , Essex
Quote:
i dont know why you guys are so concerned with ilink/firewire, its not the end all.

My uncle once said to me, "What you don't know could fill a book." So, on my free time, I am reading here to learn about audio equipment.

Like I said before, I am no expert on this stuff, but I have to agree with the other guys that this digital connection makes alot of sense for the DVD/A and SACD disks. No mater what you call it, this digital link is simple. And it keeps the signal digital until it can be processed like all the other digital formats from movies and such things that an A/V Processor would need to handle. All the adjustments done in one place, digitally, and then finally converted to analog signals, just once. You could have great DAC's do this in one place. Really simple, like you seem to like it. Multi-channel digital signals all processed and adjusted digitally in the same place, the same way. So simple that you can just forget about it.

I was just thinking, have you ever been to a party, and you went into the kitchen, and then everyone just moves into the living room? And when you walk in there, they all moved back into the kitchen? Some times people at the party just don't understand whats going on. So you keep on moving from one room to another, but it doesn't seem to help. It is like that sometimes. It is important to know when the party is over.

[This message has been edited by Tony S (edited May 31, 2004).]

#13147 - 06/01/04 12:41 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i have no idea what you are talking about.

------------------

#13148 - 06/01/04 12:34 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Xen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carlsbad, CA, USA
Here's hoping the 1070 is a look into the future towards the 950 replacement.

Bring on the 970!

#13149 - 06/05/04 07:12 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

#13150 - 06/06/04 03:07 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

In the link, it says the 1070 has:

> 7x65 Watts, Analog and Digital bass management

I'm pretty sure the digital bass management has multiple frequencies. But did the Outlaws say if the analog bass management is fixed (at 80 hz) or at multiple frequencies?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 06, 2004).]

#13151 - 06/06/04 11:20 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

We don't know yet, and with more than six months until the release date it may be a while until we get specifics. The pictures of the rear panel show a three-position toggle switch near the six-channel analog input, so I'm guessing it to be an 80Hz crossover similar to the 950's with the added option of no bass management at all.

------------------

#13152 - 06/06/04 11:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Hey Gonk,

I know it's early still, but from what the Outlaws have said about the 1070, does it look like the 950 pre/pro has anything that the pre/pro section in the newer 1070 won't?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 07, 2004).]

#13153 - 06/07/04 07:46 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Aside from the second zone audio, I don't know. I'd guess that the 1070 will have a stereo bypass mode, although there hasn't been any specific mention of that as far as I recall. We'll have to wait and see.

------------------

#13154 - 09/21/04 04:02 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Any recent news on the 1070?

#13155 - 09/29/04 01:55 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by desperado:
Photo's sent to gonk...
The 1070 looks great, but your photography sucks!

#13156 - 11/09/04 08:05 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Posted by desperado on May 21, 2004:
Just got back from the show. They announced the RR-2150, the 1070 which is a replacement for the 1050 and a new 7 channel amp. They said they will be release at the end of the year and made it clear that this means at the VERY end of the year. I have some photos of the 1070 and the RR-2150 if they came out on my digital camera. When I can post them I will try. The 1070 has DVI switching and a very simplified look on the front panel.
What's the updated expected release date for the 1070? Is it being beta tested yet by anyone? Thanks!

Will

#13157 - 11/09/04 10:11 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
rmeredit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Parker, Colorado, USA
GAWD!!!!!!!! I wish. No updates as of yet. But, I think we are suppose to hear something SOON...

#13158 - 11/10/04 08:02 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Since the San Francisco HE show was cancelled, Outlaw didn't get a chance last weekend to make any announcements. Scott's post in the announcements forum suggests that they will be releasing a newsletter in the near future to pass along any new information. Watch your inbox (and probably the announcements forum) for the newsletter. Beta testing will likely happen without any official announcement, so you won't know it's going on (unless you are part of the test group).

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts