Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#13144 - 05/30/04 11:39 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
The idea is to keep the digital data digital until after the processing is complete. Of course if you were forced to convert to analog, you could do some bass management processing with the Outlaw ICBM. But it's considered preferable to do bass management and in the digital domain, where possible. Ditto with time alignment. Yes some DVD players can do this in the digital domain before converting the signal to analog. But since bass management and time alignment processing is probably already done in your receiver or pre/pro anyway for DTS and Dolby Pro Logic, it's more convenient to it for DVD-A and SACD there using the same settings and calibration procedures. Or you could set up and calibrate using the DVD player as well. The DVD player may not have all the bass managemnent and time alignment features your pre/pro or receiver has.
Quote:

JT Clark asks
I'm sure the new cable will cost quite a bit, but will it really be as much as the 6 or 7 others? I hope not.

The price of just the one 1394 cable for i.link is often less than the cost of just one of the (better) analog interconnect cables.

#13145 - 05/30/04 11:42 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
that is what i thought, good dvd players can process the signal to the most of its potential before sending it out as analog. it is cheaper to keep upgrading dvd players than processors, so you could do so (upgrade) more often utilizing better and better dacs in the future... i guess it is easier to calibrate you processor only to maximize its potential, but surely it cannot be too difficult to do so also for your dvd player.

on my denon 910, i actually like the fact that it has minimal options (granted its not sacd or dvda with more options needed), but on my old pioneer elite there were hundreds of settings that always nagged at my mind as to which way was best.... typically i would prefer the most options possible as it allows the most control, but i have come to the conclusion that if someone else can do something for me and it is as good as i could do it myself, then why waste all my time and energy trying to do it for myself... i have better/more enjoyable things in my life than to contemplate whether to turn mosquito noise reduction on or off, and if my gamma levels are just quite perfect for each movie i watch... etc.

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13146 - 05/31/04 02:41 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Tony S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montclair, NJ , Essex
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i dont know why you guys are so concerned with ilink/firewire, its not the end all.

My uncle once said to me, "What you don't know could fill a book." So, on my free time, I am reading here to learn about audio equipment.

Like I said before, I am no expert on this stuff, but I have to agree with the other guys that this digital connection makes alot of sense for the DVD/A and SACD disks. No mater what you call it, this digital link is simple. And it keeps the signal digital until it can be processed like all the other digital formats from movies and such things that an A/V Processor would need to handle. All the adjustments done in one place, digitally, and then finally converted to analog signals, just once. You could have great DAC's do this in one place. Really simple, like you seem to like it. Multi-channel digital signals all processed and adjusted digitally in the same place, the same way. So simple that you can just forget about it.

I was just thinking, have you ever been to a party, and you went into the kitchen, and then everyone just moves into the living room? And when you walk in there, they all moved back into the kitchen? Some times people at the party just don't understand whats going on. So you keep on moving from one room to another, but it doesn't seem to help. It is like that sometimes. It is important to know when the party is over.

[This message has been edited by Tony S (edited May 31, 2004).]

#13147 - 06/01/04 12:41 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i have no idea what you are talking about.

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13148 - 06/01/04 12:34 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Xen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carlsbad, CA, USA
Here's hoping the 1070 is a look into the future towards the 950 replacement.

Bring on the 970!

#13149 - 06/05/04 07:12 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State

#13150 - 06/06/04 03:07 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

In the link, it says the 1070 has:

> 7x65 Watts, Analog and Digital bass management

I'm pretty sure the digital bass management has multiple frequencies. But did the Outlaws say if the analog bass management is fixed (at 80 hz) or at multiple frequencies?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 06, 2004).]

#13151 - 06/06/04 11:20 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
We don't know yet, and with more than six months until the release date it may be a while until we get specifics. The pictures of the rear panel show a three-position toggle switch near the six-channel analog input, so I'm guessing it to be an 80Hz crossover similar to the 950's with the added option of no bass management at all.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13152 - 06/06/04 11:58 PM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
Will Offline
Desperado

Hey Gonk,

I know it's early still, but from what the Outlaws have said about the 1070, does it look like the 950 pre/pro has anything that the pre/pro section in the newer 1070 won't?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 07, 2004).]

#13153 - 06/07/04 07:46 AM Re: Outlaw HE Expo Newsletter (partial)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Aside from the second zone audio, I don't know. I'd guess that the 1070 will have a stereo bypass mode, although there hasn't been any specific mention of that as far as I recall. We'll have to wait and see.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM