Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12909 - 04/20/04 03:37 PM speakers
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
Are the Ascend CBM-170 speakers any good?

#12910 - 04/20/04 05:11 PM Re: speakers
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I have no personal experience with them but here are some reviews from the web:

www.ecoustics.com/s.php?search=Ascend+CBM-170+

They seem to be mainly positive in nature.

#12911 - 04/21/04 12:15 AM Re: speakers
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I have'em and love'em! They are very neutral and accurate speakers. They definitely benefit by using a quality sub (such as the LFM-1 or HSU subs). There is a forum run by Ascend owners: www.ascendforum.com. The founder of Ascend, David Fabrikant, can be found lurking around there as well. Great bunch of posters, like here. what is not evident by going to the Ascend Acoustics website is some of the new offerings they have......the new 340 center is also available as L/R mains w/matching stands!
Check it out!

#12912 - 04/26/04 08:57 AM Re: speakers
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

In reading the spec sheet on the CBM_170 they brag about using the finest electronic componets in thier large crossover for the speaker. I have always heard a smaller crossover is prefered for more accurate sound. Is this wrong?

#12913 - 04/26/04 09:24 AM Re: speakers
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by e-dogg:
In reading the spec sheet on the CBM_170 they brag about using the finest electronic componets in thier large crossover for the speaker. I have always heard a smaller crossover is prefered for more accurate sound. Is this wrong?

In this case, I don't think "size" matters.

#12914 - 04/26/04 10:04 AM Re: speakers
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

e-dogg, I think that applies when a manufacturer is forced to use cheaper components/simpler x-overs in order to meet a price target. Ascend, like Outlaw, sell direct via the internet thus are able to produce a product comparable to ones selling for twice their price thru conventional b&m retailers. If you read the various professional and owner reviews on the 170's, you will see how consistent they are. I was skeptical as well, but for $300 I figured they would make a great second pair of speakers. When I ran them against my B&W 602's, I was astounded at the sound. I sold the 602's thru a local audio store! Gone are the fatiguing highs of the 602. There is a better midrange and tight(though not deep)bottom end. Imaging is excellent also. www.ascendforum.com check out this forum. you will get good advice.

#12915 - 04/26/04 11:52 AM Re: speakers
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by e-dogg:

Did you mean simpler crossover versus more complex crossover?
If so, I think simpler would be ideal when quality of parts are the same. The best would be no crossover at all (at least the passive ones) but I’ve been told those are rare.

#12916 - 04/26/04 12:07 PM Re: speakers
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Unfortunately the Hi-Fi industry went the direction of the passive crossover network instead of the much superior active one (used with seperate power amps for each driver). There have been a few speakers that use active bi-amping, but these are certainly in the minority.

Passive crossovers, no matter how high the quality of the parts, are wasteful of power and they introduce impedance complexities that effect the quality of the sound by presenting the power amplifier with an excessively complex load.

#12917 - 04/26/04 12:32 PM Re: speakers
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

As with most speakers, there are inherent design tradeoffs. Base your decision on what sounds good to you and at what cost you can justify that sound(in VERY simple terms!). Do your homework, seek other's experiences with the models you are considering. Better yet, See if there are owners of those particular models near enough to you and see if they will agree to an audition!

#12918 - 04/26/04 03:25 PM Re: speakers
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Cadboy has sold me Im going to try a pair of the 170"s all the reviews at audio review were positive also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts