Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12865 - 04/08/04 07:44 PM Re: need advice
harp795 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
The NHT SW-3 should be plenty strong to keep up with the other speakers at moderate volumes. I wonder if by positioning the sub somewhere else in the room (i.e. corner) you might gain some output. Perhaps the sub is positioned in a lull.

[This message has been edited by harp795 (edited April 08, 2004).]

#12866 - 04/08/04 11:16 PM Re: need advice
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by harp795:
The NHT SW-3 should be plenty strong to keep up with the other speakers at moderate volumes. I wonder if by positioning the sub somewhere else in the room (i.e. corner) you might gain some output. Perhaps the sub is positioned in a lull.

[This message has been edited by harp795 (edited April 08, 2004).]

if he was having problems with his overall output, yes, the corner would help, but he is having problems only with pro logic loudness, not stereo...

#12867 - 04/09/04 02:36 AM Re: need advice
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I am not sure which version of the VT1's you have. I have NHT VT1.4's which support biamping. If your model does, you may want to consider the following alternative with a 950/7100 combination.

Split the front outs from the 950 and run each split into a separate channel of the 7100. This will give you 2 100 watt channels for the VT1's (again only if they support biamping). This probably won't be as effective as a single 200 wpc amp but it should come reasonably close.

If this works and you like the sound, your done. It also gives you the option if you ever want to go to 6.1 or 7.1 to do so, by adding a separate power amp for the fronts or by adding 2 M200's.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#12868 - 04/09/04 03:11 AM Re: need advice
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
Yes, I can achieve a nice sub output in stereo playing CDs and such, but movies in pro-logic have always lacked low end. As a matter of fact back in 93 when I got this set up, it was with the NHT SW2P 10" sub with the included MA-1 80W amp (and I still have it). I was dissapionted with lows so much that in 95 when the more powerfull SW3P sub came out I purchased it thinking it would solve the problem, but it didn't improve much. I really think it is a reciever sub output problem. Maybe I got a bad reciever and didn't know it all these years.

I stopped by Radio Shack today, and was very lucky to find the last of the close-out analog sound level meters on sale, so I got one per Gonks advise that I'll need one. I put on some music videos, and it turns out my normal comfortable listening level for this material is about 75 or 80dB. I looked up my speaker sensitivity and found that the 4 VT-1's and the VT-1C are all 90dB, recommended power is 15W-120W, and response is 65Hz-21kHz.
Does this mean that I'm using less than 1 watt to acheive my listening level? I also noticed the start of some audible distortion at around 95dB. Why would this happen using a reciever with mains rated at 125W?
My question today is what in the way of dB is required for headroom, so I won't miss anything in the material at my listening level, and how many watts does this translate into? I'm real happy with the old VT-1's sound, small aesthetic profile and the height of these small towers is perfect when couch listening. They make amazingly good sound for little 4.5" drivers, and all I'll ever want for watching movies. I just want to make sure I get what is required to drive them right this time, and I want good damn base at my listening level. I suspect the 7100 will do these speakers right, and the 755 could be costly overkill. Thanks again for all the help!

P.S. I'll be sure to report the difference Outlaw equipment makes for me!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts