Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12855 - 04/07/04 05:47 PM need advice
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
My current HT equipment is 10yrs old, and I’m looking to upgrade, and reviews of up to date equipment has led me to Outlaw as good value for the money. My budget only allows some upgrades, not new everything! My old pioneer pro-logic receiver is what has to be replaced. I’m running NHT speakers all the way around, and the sub is a SW-3 with matching SA-3 amp. This sub has always performed well in stereo (hooked up to the sub out), but in pro-logic mode I have to turn the volume up to uncomfortable levels to get a sub output signal strong enough to hear some good sub frequencies. The receiver is only rated 125 watts into the two main channels, the center and surrounds are much less. (I know its crappy and has always distorted above half volume) The power output of this receiver is not even close to the sub amps 250Watts, yet the receiver powered speakers can drown out the sub when the sub amp is cranked way up. I’ve done what I can to adjust the levels provided on the receiver down on the other speakers (no sub level adjustment), but still the problem exists. I Have no desire to go past a good 5.1 system, and don’t need a seven channel amp, but I’m worried if I go with the 950-755 combo the 200 watt power output of the 755 will really drown out my sub. I’m not shooting for louder; I want good low frequency to go with the rest at comfortable movie listening levels. Would the 7100 be a better choice, even though I have no need for the extra 2 channels, maybe the lower power output would blend better for my needs, and my VT-1’s are only rated to 125watts. I know I sound pretty ignorant about this stuff to you people in the know, but I still need the advice before I buy!

#12856 - 04/07/04 06:13 PM Re: need advice
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 755's 200W/channel power rating will translate into clean output from the speakers (instead of the distortion you've experienced, which is likely due to the receiver's amp clipping) rather than into sheer volume. It would be no more prone to drowning out the sub than a 7100 would, especially once you calibrate your speaker levels with a sound meter (which I definitely recommend doing). I suspect that at least part of the problem you are running into with weak sub output on movies is due to the nature of Pro Logic decoding offering the sub only so much information to work with. Dolby Digital and DTS are a significant change from Pro Logic -- the .1 LFE track may offer the bass you have been expecting.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#12857 - 04/07/04 08:43 PM Re: need advice
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I second Gonk's thoughts on your subwoofer response.

I'm chiming in here only to add that I also run NHT's all the way around and get very good performance with my 950. (I have Aragon and Carver amps and an SVS subwoofer with Samson amp.) I get plenty of low-end response -- more than the neighbors probably want, actually.

#12858 - 04/07/04 10:33 PM Re: need advice
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I agree. System is Outlaw 950/770, all speakers NHT including subs and also SA-2 and SA-3 amps.

#12859 - 04/07/04 10:53 PM Re: need advice
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
100watts of good power would probably be enough for you considering your statements. the 7100 is quite a bit less $$ than the other two so maybe saving that extra $$ would allow some other kind of upgrade in the nearer future. 200watts is nice, but not many people crank it up that loud. 100watts from a quality amp will seem like 400 from your old one, its like night and day from a good amp to a mediocre/poor one. good luck with the purchase.

#12860 - 04/08/04 10:17 AM Re: need advice
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
The fact that you have great sound in the stereo mode but poor sound in DPL would seem to indicate that a leap forward of 10 years or so in processing will help a great deal. Also, many 5.1 receivers of that era, while perhaps providing 125 watts per channel in stereo, provided less than 5x100 watts when in a surround mode. Going to a genuine 100 or 200 clean watts per channel should give you a marked improvement ... and put a smile on your face when you start listening.

Regarding the 100 vs. 200 watt choice:

I went the 200 watts per channel route because my speakers are a few dB below average as far as sensitivity/efficiency is concerned. Otherwise I think the 7100 would have been a great choice for me. The difference between the two power levels is about 3 dB. I know that the last three sentences may be of little help in deciding. I have just a few more

If you want the extra headroom or have a bit of watt-lust as I do, go for 200 watts per channel. But if, after all the reviews, opinions, and research have been weighed, you still feel that the 7100 is a consideration, also consider this: the shipping on the 7100 is less than on the 755 or 770. If you buy a 950/7100 combo, treat the 7100 with care so as not to harm the amp or its packaging, and decide within 30 days that you want an additional 3 dB from a different Outlaw amplifier, you could trade up to the more expensive combo by returning the 7100 and paying the difference in price. Your only extra expenditure beyond buying the 200 watts per channel at first, if you are a customer in the continental U.S., would be the cost of shipping the 7100 back. And if you have a problem or need help, I don’t know of a place that has better customer care than Outlaw.

One other thought, then I’ll quit. Having seven channels in the amplifier gives you future options at lower cost – either to add a stereo zone elsewhere, or experiment with 7.1 using an old and/or borrowed set of speakers. Having these options at a lower cost with the 950/7100 combo is a temptation that's hard to pass up.

Now could someone find a way to make all future choices easier and keep me happy?

#12861 - 04/08/04 11:10 AM Re: need advice
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
my thought on not thinking about future decisions is to give up on it all now. inevitably someone is going to make something better than you have regardless of when you get it. all those damn people who come up with new ideas need to be shot. j/k, that is a part of the fun of audio imo, the fact that there is always something else to pursue. it doesnt always have to cost a lot of money for that next fix, but undoubtedly it does cost more and more as things become "nicer and nicer".

#12862 - 04/08/04 12:21 PM Re: need advice
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Not true, Curegeorge. If you are after enjoying listening to music and watching video, you can enjoy what you have without perseverating on what's the latest/greatest.
As a musician, I've learned to "play through" a bad piano and still make music. In the same way, I can listen to an old 78 and hear the music that's there scratches and all. We're never going to get "reality" in our HT. Even the state of the art is only an approximation of the absolute sound or the perfect vision so enjoy today and don't worry about what's gonna be tomorrow!
(End of philosophical diatribe!)

Jay

#12863 - 04/08/04 05:12 PM Re: need advice
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
Thanks, I value the feedback immensely! As you can see I’m looking for answers, so that my next purchase will not only decode true 5.1, but also fix what I don’t like now. Why does my Pioneer CD player and S-VHS player, play much louder at the same volume knob level than the digital cable box, or x-box etc... It seems some things send a stronger signal to the receiver, which in turn sends a stronger signal to the sub amp through the sub out, thus giving me better lows. There are no gain controls on any of this stuff, it just is. Are there common gain output standards on equipment, and a problem with my current receiver, or is this normal. Will a new 950 cure this? The stuff that sends a weaker signal sounds strained and less dynamic than say the CD player. What is up with this phenomenon, will new outlaw stuff fix this? Thanks again for the help!

#12864 - 04/08/04 06:02 PM Re: need advice
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
One thing to be aware of: the output levels for DVD are lower than those used for CD's and video tapes. This is not the fault of the DVD player, disc, or receiver. CD's and video tapes have traditionally be mastered a little louder than the ideal level, but DVD's returned to that ideal to provide more dynamic range. That is likely what you are hearing.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts