Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12771 - 03/25/04 03:14 PM TiVo Questions
zmarke Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am thinking of getting one since my VCR just died and thought this group would know the answers to my questions. I have CableTV without a converter box which is connected via that thick white coax to my TV. My DVD is connected to the s-video input and I have a second input for the VCR which can be s-video or composite.

What is the best way to connect my incoming CableTV line and the TiVo to my TV?
(this answer may depend on some of the following questions)

Can you record one program while watching another one at the same time?

While recording one program (i.e. Law & Order) can you watch Survivor and if you get interrupted would you be able to continue recording Law & Order but "pause" Survivor (which would record it) so you do not miss any of it?

Can you record a program to the TiVo and watch a pre-recorded program from the TiVo at the same time?

Now for the most important question...
I have an Outlaw 950 in my near future so how would the TiVo hookup work with it and my TV?

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by zmarke (edited March 25, 2004).]

#12772 - 03/25/04 04:58 PM Re: TiVo Questions
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vienna, va usa
Cable to Tivo to 950 to TV. How you connect audio and video will depend on the kind of Tivo and TV you have. Take 950 out if you don't have one yet. If you are setting up 5.1 speakers with 950, you need Dolby DD capable Tivo to hear cable movies that are in 5.1. Watching and recording things at the same time can be done if you have digital cable that has multiple lines. I have Direct Tivo with dual dish that allows me to record while watching something live, or watch recorded show while recording someting else.

#12773 - 03/25/04 08:38 PM Re: TiVo Questions
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I don't own Tivo but here's my guess for connections:

Cable to Tivo to TV for video (S-Video sounds good)

Tivo to 950 for audio (Digital ouput if available)

That's it!

#12774 - 03/26/04 01:54 AM Re: TiVo Questions
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
First, I have to confess. TiVo is the most used consumer electronics device I have EVER purchased. And I've owned a lot of them!

Good info above on the hookup. To answer your other questions (all with a standalone TiVo):

You can record one program while watching another one at the same time, however, you'll need to use the tuner in the TiVo for the recording and the tuner in your TV for the live programming. (Although, you'll find yourself RARELY watching live TV -- except perhaps for the news -- once you get a TiVo.)

With the standalone TiVo, you can only pause the program that is being recorded. The DirecTV with TiVo (which I have) has two tuners so you CAN record one show and pause another one that you're watching.

You can watch a prerecorded TiVo program while you record another program with TiVo. This is what you end up doing most of the time when you have TiVo.

#12775 - 03/26/04 08:23 AM Re: TiVo Questions
zmarke Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Now I really NEED one!

I just cannot wait until I can move out of NYC in the next few months and into a house and build a really nice HT around the 950. At least my TiVo will be a part of it.

Thanks for all the great answers to all of my questions.

#12776 - 03/26/04 02:23 PM Re: TiVo Questions
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
...I just got on the waiting list for a HD Tivo ... it won't be here until May but that's fine

At first it took me a while to convince my wife that we needed a TiVo but now she's excited that she'll be able to have her own when the new one shows up

#12777 - 03/27/04 01:28 AM Re: TiVo Questions
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
zmarke:

When you get out of the city, if you consider going to DirecTV instead of cable, I HIGHLY recommend the DirecTiVo. It is absolutely the BEST implementation of the TiVo/PVR concept.

#12778 - 03/27/04 09:30 AM Re: TiVo Questions
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
you should check out the tivo website. Their FAQ is quite complete and answers many of your questions plus many more you may not have thought of.

------------------
Desperado - 1050 Owner - Reviews - Harmony SST-659 Remote"

#12779 - 03/27/04 04:01 PM Re: TiVo Questions
zmarke Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by boblinds:
zmarke:

When you get out of the city, if you consider going to DirecTV instead of cable, I HIGHLY recommend the DirecTiVo. It is absolutely the BEST implementation of the TiVo/PVR concept.

My wife and I have agreed...as soon as we leave the city for the burbs, she gets a new kitchen and I get to build a "sweet" HT (around a 950 of course). We have stayed in NYC just becasue I was born in Manhattan and so far have refused to leave. Since neither of us has 15-20 million burning a hole in our pockets, the dream of having a 3 full-floor apartment over-looking Central Park is on hold for now. A nice colonial in Westchester would be nice and probaby more in our short term plans.

Thanks again for all of the answers!

[This message has been edited by zmarke (edited March 27, 2004).]

#12780 - 04/01/04 01:45 PM Re: TiVo Questions
BrettCottel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ceres, CA USA
Hey Unferth, Just wondering where you got on the list for an HD tivo box & how much? Looks like that will be the way to go if May is the target date. Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Unferth:
...I just got on the waiting list for a HD Tivo ... it won't be here until May but that's fine

At first it took me a while to convince my wife that we needed a TiVo but now she's excited that she'll be able to have her own when the new one shows up

------------------
;-)
Klipschorn front R
Klipsch Belle front left
Kilpsch Cornwall II's rear
Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds
Outlaw LFM-1
64" Samsung Plasma 8500
Amazon off air receiver
MX 850 Remote
Zappiti NAS RIP
Zappiti pro 4K HDR

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM