Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12757 - 03/24/04 11:48 AM Have any extra snake oil to share?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I know that there are differences among us as to what is snake oil and what is good medicine, but I thought it would be entertaining to find out what web sites people have found that present seemingly outrageous claims for various products.

For example, a claim that by using certain cables, “There’ll be a half octave more bass.” In such a case, I’m not knocking the cables themselves. I don’t know, they may be great cables. I just think that the claim is merely a sales ploy good for buyers who desperately want to believe it. If I have a system with response currently down to 24, 20 or 16Hz, by replacing my cables I’m suddenly going to have response down to 17, 14 or 11 Hz? Put the quote above in a Google search and you’ll be able to find out which web site made that claim for their product. This site has additional creative writing I haven't mentioned here.

Reviewers of products can be just as overly generous with their words, so let’s not leave them out of our sights.

Hmmm. When dubious claims are made by a source, doesn’t that cast doubt on even truthful things that are said by that same source?

In any case, let’s see what kind of smiles we can share.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited March 24, 2004).]

#12758 - 03/24/04 01:07 PM Re: Have any extra snake oil to share?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I would smile if it weren't so tragic. A lot of people get duped out of a lot of money by these scumbags.

#12759 - 03/24/04 01:59 PM Re: Have any extra snake oil to share?
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Well, as a long-time subscriber to The Absolute Sound I've read/seen a lot of incredible nonsense. "Enid Lumley" whoever he/she was pursued this stuff. OTOH, some of the "tweaks" do make a difference i.e. unplugging and replugging all cables once in a while does make sense. How 'bout suspending your cables 2-3" off your synthetic fibre carpet to improve the sound with little tripods. That's a classic IMHO! BTW, I'm not immune to the silliness: I'm the proud owner of a Magic Brick to absorb stray electromagnetic forces. Oy! Caveat emptor!

Jay

#12760 - 03/24/04 08:03 PM Re: Have any extra snake oil to share?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:
Hmmm. When dubious claims are made by a source, doesn’t that cast doubt on even truthful things that are said by that same source?

Good point buck.
Not just consumer products but in daily news as well. Too many people too often just soak up whatever they hear without questioning the source it comes from. In the case with electronic gadgets, cables and …etc., one who gets duped is the buyer. It is unfortunate but not as unfortunate as those who believe everything some politicians or media spit out everyday without thoughts and cast their votes based on it. That in turn can interfere with the lives of many.

#12761 - 03/25/04 07:10 AM Re: Have any extra snake oil to share?
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
Good point buck.
Not just consumer products but in daily news as well. Too many people too often just soak up whatever they hear without questioning the source it comes from. In the case with electronic gadgets, cables and …etc., one who gets duped is the buyer. It is unfortunate but not as unfortunate as those who believe everything some politicians or media spit out everyday without thoughts and cast their votes based on it. That in turn can interfere with the lives of many.

Witness the recent "news reports" sent to the news departments of tv stations around the country by the government, "reporting" on the new Medicare changes (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart had a hilarious piece on this).

------------------
The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. But what IS the Question?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts