Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12754 - 03/23/04 08:32 PM Shelf strong enough for equipment
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
I need to replaced my entertainment system because my new TV came with a stand.

I need two things and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

1) Shelf for center speaker
2) Rack for Outlaw 1050, deep CD changer )21 inches), and MiniDisc Player.

I was wondering if I could find a nice shelf that could be strong enough to hold everything. That would really improve my living space. If not then I need a strong shelf for the center speaker (B&W HTM2) and a small rack for the three items.

#12755 - 03/24/04 02:21 PM Re: Shelf strong enough for equipment
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
so what you are looking for is a rack for you gear and a place to put your center channel integrated into one piece of furniture to put beside your tv? having a center channel beside your tv kind of defeats the idea of "center". typically a center channel would go on top of, below, mounted on the wall behind, etc. a tv so that the dialog gets tied to the picture. they do make stands that can hold your center channel and equipment in the correct place, but since you said that you got a stand with the tv, i presume that is not the route you wanted to go. i am not for spending all kinds of money on a rack/stand unless it is integral for the decor and is pricey because it is a nice piece of furniture. equipment racks are overpriced and usually ugly, what i have now is a techcraft one that i got that matches my tv cabinet color. i would have to say that techcraft has good customer service because when i moved a while ago, i broke the tempered tinted glass front to the unit and just by calling them, they sent me a whole glass assembly for no cost (FROM CANADA EVEN!). i had had the unit for 2 years or so, but they didnt have any problem once i got to a lady that was not speaking french :-).

#12756 - 03/25/04 02:35 PM Re: Shelf strong enough for equipment
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Actually I have two options.
1) Place center speaker on a shelf over the TV. (Should be easy to find a shelf just for the speaker) and have the equipment rack seperate.
2) Place a large shelf OVER my TV and continuing down the wall so I can plance my Center Speaker on the shelf centered over the TV and then place my equipment on the remaining portion of the shelf.

Because of space issues I prefer option 2 since it will allow me to use the extra floor space for my Sub, speakers and perhaps a little room to walk around in. The problem is finding a strong enough shelf to support up to 100 lbs of equipment. 1050 (50lbs), Center speaker (20-30lbs) and the components (10-20 lbs).

I suspect I will have to use the small shelf/rack combo or custom build the shelf myself.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts