Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12723 - 03/23/04 09:41 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
DVI stands for "D"igital "V"ideo "I"nterface and provides a digital link between your digital, hi-def cable signal and your digital TV. In other words, from what I understand, you lose a Digital-to-Analog conversion step using this connection, thus giving you a better picture.

The "H"igh "D"efinition "C"opy "P"rotection allows you to receive encrypted broadcasts from providers who believe you're going to copy their hi-def signal otherwise. The thinking is that if you're watching a hi-def transmission of a movie, you won't be able to copy that to a disc and produce a DVD that's higher quality than the regular release. It's sort of related to why there isn't a standard digital connection for DVD-A and SACD.

The second Q&A on this page from the Secrets website answers a very similiar question much better than I can:

http://128.121.62.219/qa/qa2003/qa375.html

#12724 - 03/23/04 10:16 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Thanks again Jason. Interesting link.

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited March 23, 2004).]

#12725 - 03/24/04 12:01 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
smaller format widescreen tvs would be lcd projection and dlp around 42 inches. you can also get sony widescreen crt tvs in 30 in or 34 in. the sony crts are the best picture quality though their durability is suspect. i would NOT BUY a 4:3 tv or a non hd tv in your price range. dlp and lcd projection are more than you wanted to spend, so you should look at sony's lineup, keeping in mind that this years hi-scan was last years xbr for a lot less $$, though they actually did make some improvements on the new xbrs that i really like. one of them is whati would buy if i needed a little tv (well little compared to my current tv).

#12726 - 03/24/04 12:05 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

enhanced mode is a little better because no lines of resolution are wasted on the black bars, instead you get all the resolution on the actual picture.

#12727 - 03/24/04 12:06 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

keep in mind though that a 27in in widescreen will be A LOT SMALLER THAN A NORMAL 27 in. so much so you will hate it.

#12728 - 03/24/04 12:29 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
keep in mind though that a 27in in widescreen will be A LOT SMALLER THAN A NORMAL 27 in. so much so you will hate it.

Not sure I agree with the conclusion here.

I just replaced a 26" 4:3 with a 26" 16:9 and more than happy with the size. I haven't gotten a photo of my new set up on my web site yet, but will try to do so this evening. I'll post an update here when it's up. I'll take the picture from the same location I took the one on the site now (of the 26" Toshiba on the chest of drawers) for ease of comparison.

Just my two cents,

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#12729 - 03/24/04 02:10 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

if you read my statement correctly, i said a 27in (tv) "IN" widescreen will have a much smaller picture than the 27 inches diagonally. our poster here was thinking about buying a 4:3 hd tv that was 27in, so i was merely pointing out to him that when watching widescreen sources his picture will in fact be much smaller on his traditional 4:3 (not widescreen) tv. i agree that 27in on a widescreen hd tv may be suitable, but that is not what i was talking about or what he was thinking about buying.

#12730 - 03/24/04 03:51 PM Re: Need a new TV on a low budget
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
if you read my statement correctly, i said a 27in (tv) "IN" widescreen will have a much smaller picture than the 27 inches diagonally. ...

oops. okay, i admit it ... i completely zoned out over the double "in" in your post - "... 27in in ...". i guess my brain farted.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts