Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12596 - 02/17/04 05:07 PM Re: Opinions for a new DVD player
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
maybe i was unclear, you can get a high quality dvd for a low price and then when hd-dvd comes out and you want to buy one, you havent lost much. THEN that new hd-dvd will last you 5 years. price and longetivity dont go hand in hand.

#12597 - 02/17/04 05:51 PM Re: Opinions for a new DVD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If the plan is to get a player now that would tide you over for a year or two until you could get an HD-DVD player, that would be good advice. But how many early adopters who bought DVD players in spring or summer of 1997 were still using that same player a year and a half or two years ago? If HD-DVD does launch in 2005, it will be similar to the DVD launch. The first model year of any product like HD-DVD is going to have teething problems that will make an upgrade worthwhile after a couple years, and most of the buyers in that model year are early adopters who are most likely to turn around and upgrade when a newer model fixes those early quirks a year or two down the road.

How about this advice for someone whose budget allows for a player in the $1000 range? Shop around, demo some players (as Oil Can wisely suggested earlier), and include a few less expensive models in your search (like Denon's 2200, Pioneer's 563, or Yamaha's S1500 whenever it shows up). If a universal player isn't necessary, there are also a number of good progressive scan players in the $500. If you think you'll want to upgrade to HD-DVD early, then it may make sense to seriously consider the less expensive ones and set some of that budget aside as seed for a future HD-DVD upgrade. If you think you'll wait for HD-DVD to get on its feet a bit and for the library of movies to start to grow, then decide which player would make you, your listening/viewing preferences, and your pocketbook happiest today. Maybe it'll end up being the 2900 for $1000, or the Denon 910 (without DVD-A or SACD) for $300, or maybe it'll be the Pioneer 563 for $180.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12598 - 03/22/04 02:43 PM Re: Opinions for a new DVD player
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I'm hoping to be able to demo Yamaha's upcoming universal DVD player (the DVD-S1500) this spring -- it is supposed to retail for $400 or so when it comes out around March, supports DVD-A and SACD, has Faroudja DCDi for progressive scan, and is supposed to be CUE-free. If my local Yamaha dealer is cooperative, I'll probably A/B between it and Denon's 2200 (perhaps even using Sherbourn's 950 clone as pre/pro if they have a demo unit handy, since they handle all three lines).

Is testing the new Yamaha DVD-S1500 still in the cards for you this spring, Gonk?

#12599 - 03/23/04 07:23 AM Re: Opinions for a new DVD player
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sfw:
Is testing the new Yamaha DVD-S1500 still in the cards for you this spring, Gonk?

Gonk,

If/when you do this checkout, please let me know. I'm currently running a JVC XV-SA75 for DVD-Audio and a Sony SCD-CE775 for SACD in my listening system. The JVC is having problems with more and more DVD's lately. I'm seriously considering a new combined unit to replace these two.

Also, while I have your attention ... did you ever get the two email replies I've sent you over the past couple of months?

Later,

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#12600 - 03/23/04 07:49 AM Re: Opinions for a new DVD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
RE: the Yamaha S1500 -- Still planning to check it out when the local shop gets some in. I'm giving them until the first or second week of April before I quiz them about it again, since I've only recently started seeing signs of S1500's listed at some online retailers (J&R World now has them in their system, but only for in-store pickup).

Pat -- Just checked my old mail, and I have one from January and one from early March. Sorry about being a bit quiet on the e-mail side, but with the last big deadline at work arriving this Friday evening there's hope that I can stop and catch my breath soon.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts