Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12524 - 02/04/04 02:07 PM Surge Protection?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I’ve been looking into getting a surge protector and would like some advice. I am looking at the Monster Power HTS-2500 or the Panamax M-5100. Any advice on which one is the better unit would be of great help to me.

Thanks in advance
Lasher

#12525 - 02/04/04 02:31 PM Re: Surge Protection?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've been using a Panamax 5100 for almost two years, and it's worked very well for me.

One thing that's been discussed here on a couple of occasions is the fact that many surge protectors (including both the Monster and the Panamax) use MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors), which degrade over time. When talk of MOVs comes up, one brand usually that gets mentioned is Brick Wall , which doesn't use MOVs.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12526 - 02/12/04 12:52 PM Re: Surge Protection?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i have monster stuff (seeing as i got it at a huge discount), and have been happy with it. i am by no means saying that they are absolutely hands down the best, but they have been around a long time probably because they have a little idea of what they are doing. if two products with same features and same price were made by monster and brand x, i would buy the monster every time. i do not think they have the best cables for the price though, but power they are pretty good.

#12527 - 02/13/04 11:02 AM Re: Surge Protection?
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
There's an interesting product line from:

www.pricewheeler.com

that is a surge protector/conditioner w/o MOV's. I'm actually surprised I don't see more discussion of this because MOV's are, apparently "sacrificial" after a certain amount of surges. Does anyone have a comment on the "Brick Wall" products they sell?

Jay

#12528 - 02/13/04 12:43 PM Re: Surge Protection?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a real world problem(I.E. one of these models or any model for that matter)fail during a storm or power surge? The Monster Power has a $100,000.00 connected equipment warranty but has anyone here ever had to use it? Has anyone ever read about someone using it? I'd like to know if they really stand behind the warranty. It seems like surge damage is a very rare thing even for people without protection. Any thoughts?

Lasher

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts