Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#12469 - 03/09/04 12:45 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
>>>Series surge reactor current limiter.....<<<

This is quoted from the product info on the web page, and if it is what it seems to be, it is not what you want to feed a power amp with, marketing notwithstanding.

In an application where relatively unrestricted peak currents are needed as in a power amplifier, you don't want anything except a circuit breaker in series with the AC line. House circuit breakers can pass peak currents above their current rating for a short period of time before the heat generated by the current causes the breaker to trip.

With low level devices which do not consume high currents, this limitation does not really matter.

#12470 - 03/09/04 01:53 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Hound, what product does that pertain too, and where did you get that from?

Oh I see it now. I believe thats just to insure that too much current doesnt get to the equipment. It also goes on to say.....

"This unit is specifically designed to handle high current devices such as large amplifiers and subwoofers as well as other "power hungry" devices one might have in their audio/video systems. With a massive reactor that will not be stressed or constrict, this unit is overkill for most high current applications."

I understand what you said about the unrestricted peak currents, but I find the Brickwall adds to my system, instead of taking away.

My Cinenova Grande` 5 pulls a ton from the circuit, as does my Bryston. I've tried it with and without the Brickwalls in the mix. When the brickwall was added, the sound became more natural sounding. I tried the same material at reference level, and obviously you'd need a meter to test the current limitations, but theres no way I'm taking the Brickwalls out of the mix.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#12471 - 03/09/04 02:15 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Having nothing in series with the AC line is the only way to have current capability only restricted by the house circuit brakers, wiring, and the capacity of the power pole step down transformer.

Anything else will restrict current to some degree - there is no possible way it can be otherwise. Energy cannot be created from nothing, only lost.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited March 09, 2004).]

#12472 - 03/13/04 08:26 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

A sufficeintlly sized isolation type transformer (inductor) will act like a air pressure tank. Transient draws of current will be satisfied, and, the advantage of not dropping voltage as violently on the primary side (where your other equiptment is) when your amp draws peak current. If you have thin wire from the fuse box, poor connections in your outlets, and resistive breakers, a large isolation type tranformer will give you huge gains in stability of the voltage in the primaries and secondaries (before and after the unit). However, if the transformer used is too small, it will limit the peak current the amp can draw, making performance worse than no isolation at (except in the case of REALLY bad house wiring). USE a MOV at the primary, no possible loss of current and only microvolt drop, except when voltage spikes beyond safe range specified (150 vac)
Bottom line, I use RF noise suppression, and servo driven variable transformer on the low level devices, and isolation with MOV on amps. Safe and happy...

#12473 - 03/13/04 09:18 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Yes, but the inductor would have to be impractically huge to satisfy any sustained current demands in the real world. Richard Grey's "power station" uses this technique, but the current it stores is miniscule compared to what a power amp needs to meet the demands of heavy and sustained bass. The storage time for an inductor is exceedingly short compared to the length of time a power amplifier needs peak current to replenish it's storage capacitors. A CD like my organ demo with 16Hz bass that lasts for seconds at a stretch would suck the power from such an inductor in milliseconds.

Ferro resonant power transformers are another method to regulate AC voltage, but these have the disadvantage of very high distortion of the AC waveform and high acoustic noise. Unnecessary distortion on the AC line is something that is best avoided at all costs since the distortion harmonics can creep into the audio circuits of associated equipment.

The best insurance is to simply buy a power amplifier that uses very large storage/filter capacitors and a power transformer that has the current cabability to keep them charged. DC is easy to store with capacitors and batteries - AC is next to impossible to store in any practical quantity.

Dedicated 20 amp outlets with good house wiring is a must for high current demands.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited March 13, 2004).]

#12474 - 03/14/04 03:01 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
The loads on my Cinenova and Bryston, are not as great as normal, because in every location, all 7 speakers have built in powered subs(DefTech), and running on Large. Unless something has changed, then this alone will put great relief on the current draw the amp would normally pull.

I know one thing, theres no way I am removing the Brickwall units from my system.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts