Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12459 - 03/06/04 09:12 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
GRCRYSTYK Offline
Gunslinger

JMS,...
Great to hear the Brick Wall made an improvement for you. The whole AC/Surge issue is quite a relevant thing. Not everybody has the same needs, and consiquently, get different results.
I'm interested in the Brick Wall, Zero Surge, units, but have been trying to get a straight answer as to wheather they limit current at all. I have only had one person say a definate no, they don't. The rep from Zero Surge said, They only limit current as much as the breaker in your panel. I think thats a no, and the guy was only being a little too techinical. In other words, anything in the path, has some sort of resistance, however slight it may be.
Has anybody done a check themselves on this. I don't recall where I saw it, but on another thread somewhere, there was discusion about current draw and large amps. One poster had quite a large system. He did a check with an ammeter, running different items, and then at different levels, all the way to the point, he could say,...It was painfully loud, with al the gear running, and the current draw was surprisingly reasonable. Not an overwelming figure at all. It sure put my mind at ease. I'm going to do the same thing with my system, as I just ordered a 770, and will be using all 7 channels sometimes at a pretty house shaking level,...

Not to steel the thread, but does anybody else have any interesting AC info, or experiences. There is so much grey area with this subject, it's interesting to hear real, experiences.
GRCRY,...>>>--->

#12460 - 03/06/04 10:41 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Power line filters will limit current delivery capability to a certain extent because of the series inductor in series with the AC circuit. Power line surge protectors will not limit current in any way because the surge protection element (usually a metal oxide varistor) is in parallel with the AC circuit rather than in series with it.

The overriding concern is the current rating on the unit you are looking at. It should be at least capable of passing 15 amps which is the capacity of the normal circuit breakers in your house.

In general, I avoid using power line filters with power amplifiers that have significant power requirements (basically any multi-channel home theater amplifier) - using only surge protectors. In low level equipment like preamps, DVD players, etc, a combination power line filter and surge protector is the best way to go because these components are most likely to pick up RFI/EMI interferrence which could degrade their sound.

#12461 - 03/06/04 09:37 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
GRCRYSTYK Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound,..
Any insight to the series mode units, like the Brick Wall?
Thanks GRCRY,...>>>--->

#12462 - 03/06/04 10:45 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by GRCRYSTYK:
soundhound,..
Any insight to the series mode units, like the Brick Wall?
Thanks GRCRY,...>>>--->

I am not familiar with these units. Generally, what I said in my original post stands - if there is any passive circuitry in series with the AC line, there will be some loss. This is unavoidable. The loss might be insignificant in a particular application, but there is a loss nontheless. The current rating of the filter will be the telling specification. If it is rated to deliver 15 amps, then that is what it will pass without problems.

#12463 - 03/07/04 07:24 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
GRCRYSTYK,

If you have one of the BPTs, then a 15A brickwall with the single duplex would do nicely. If you have the BPT 2, 2.5 or 3.5, then look at the 20A brickwall. Do I hear a difference with mine? No. Do I feel comfortable with a good surge protector? Absolutely.

My brickwall is plugged into a dedicated circuit and my BPT1 is plugged into the brickwall. All my components, except for my power amps, are plugged into the BPT. The power amps are plugged into the same dedicated 20A circuit.

When I get out of my lazy phase, I'm putting another 20A circuit in and I'll be using a brickwall 20A unit followed by another balanced power transformer. The transformer is a plitron transformer that was offered through the Secrets of Home Theater website. You have to do the wiring yourself. This will be for my Outlaw 755, 2 M200s and 2 subwoofers.

Overkill? probably. It's really not a quest for the holy grail of power. I just like the Do-It-Yourself and this can't hurt.

#12464 - 03/07/04 11:04 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
GRCRYSTYK Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound,..
Your thoughts are exactly what I have been able to filter out of everything listed, posted, and in one way or another comunicated over the years. I supose, unless a person was to open up any given unit, and be able to understand everything they were looking at, would they be able to be completely sure of what effects that peice would have on other gear down stream. Your techinical experience,and willingness to share, is one of the great things about these forums. Thanks for your help.
Dollarbill,...
I have the BP 2.5, and I have been looking to get the 20 amp version of either the Brick Wall, or the Zero Surge. As I recall, for some reason, I don't think Brick Wall listed the single 20 amp unit, but Zero Surge does.
I had the page saved as a favorite for the Secrets transformer you mentioned, untill my hard drive crashed a couple weeks ago. I thought about that myself, but missed out on the bulk order, and ran across a pretty good deal on the BPT. If I knew exactly where, and what to purchase. I don't think the construction of the unit would be very difficult at all,...I had another page saved as well, that outlined what was needed for a DIY transformer. I have forgot the last name, but the guys first name is John. He has quite a few iteresting reads on things related to audio, and electronics.

#12465 - 03/08/04 01:28 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
The Brickwall units do not restrict current. I bought them for 2 reasons, they don't use MOV's, and the do not restrict any current.

They are also the ONLY products out there that passed a certain test, one that didnt need to be done, but they proved they could handle it.

Go to the following link and read it..

http://brickwall.com/nofail.htm

They simply will Not fail, thats peace of mind my friends.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#12466 - 03/08/04 08:39 AM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
I don't remember where I got mine but the following site has the 20A, single duplex unit which should be all you need for the BPT 2.5.

http://www.surgeprotect.com/brickwall.html?source=google-adwords

#12467 - 03/08/04 05:23 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
GRCRYSTYK Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Dollarbill,...
I saved the link to read later. It's quite long. I will check it out,....I had also sent BrickWall a question about the 20 amp single. They sent me a link also. Still not sure why they don't list it on the site,....
>>>--->

#12468 - 03/08/04 11:51 PM Re: Line Conditioners with Outlaws
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Brickwall offers THREE versions that have 2 receptacles for Point of Use.

I'll try to describe them as good as possible..

There are TWO 15amp versions. One is the PW2R15. This is a 15amp version with 15amp guts. The other 15amp version is called the PW2RAUD. It too uses a 15A plug at the end, but has 20A guts to insure it handles bigger loads easier. Those are the models I have, PW2RAUD.

Then there is the the 20A model, obviously has the 20A plug, and only accepts 20A connections. This one is called the PW2R20. This one is excellent as well.

All prices and specs can be found here....

https://trorderonline.thomasregister.com...=yes&origin=olc

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts