Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12366 - 01/18/04 06:25 PM What's Causing this Noise?
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I've got an "interesting" intermittent noise that predominates in the right, front speaker of my 5.1 system. Often, it isn't there but suddenly, without any reason, it'll begin or end. It's a high, buzzing noise like what you'd expect to be generated from a fluorescent fixture. If I insert some sort of power conditioner in the system will that filter out this extra-musical interference?

Some info that may be pertinent: If I leave the powered monitors on but turn off the 950 and Pioneer 45A, the noise is still present. It isn't the hardware, I believe. It's the power supply, IMO.

Anyone have a clue? If I do need a power conditioner, what should that piece have to solve the problem?

Jay

#12367 - 01/18/04 06:35 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
You are probably picking up EMI noise from a dimmer, refridgerator or something like that. I use TrippLite "Isobar" power line filters. They are among the best there is, and since they are basically aimed at professional/industrial users, they do not have the "hype tax" of inflated price.

http://www.tripplite.com

#12368 - 03/16/04 07:58 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Anybody know if tube amps are more prone to buzzing than solid-state? More often (than solid-state amp) reviewers mention how silent it is while on pause as part of their evaluation. Also, are the causes likely be the same as solid-state amp buzzing?

Thanks.

#12369 - 03/16/04 09:04 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Tubes would be more succeptable to picking up airborne RFI and EMI because the working impedances of the internal circuitry is very high in relation to that in a solid state component. Therefore, you should take more care in power line filtering and location of tube based equipment.

#12370 - 03/18/04 01:36 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound:

Thanks for the feedback. But any filtering restricts power requirement for amps during demanding situations as discussed in “Line Conditioners…” thread. How would one deal with this?

#12371 - 03/18/04 02:20 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Because of the much higher power supply voltages used in tube amps, the storage capacity of power supply energy (measured in joules) is much higher than any solid state amp. Therefore tube amps will have much more power supply storage headroom than a solid state one. This overcomes the AC power issue.

A solid state amp would have to have an impractically high amount of capacitance in the power supply to match the effective storage of a tube amp.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited March 18, 2004).]

#12372 - 03/19/04 09:54 AM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vienna, va usa
Would you power a 100W class AB tube amp and a SS amp 300W-400W (4 ohms) through one Isobar line conditioner on a dedicated 20 amp line or run them separately on separate line conditioners on 2 separate but balanced 20 amp outlets. If it's the latter, I will have to go and buy yet another thing.........

#12373 - 03/19/04 02:19 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

You could plug both into the Isobar, although I only use a surge protector on my solid state amp (which powers my subs).

#12374 - 03/25/04 07:38 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

I don’t know soundhound. It did more to it then for it when plugged it into filtered power outlet.

I finally got a pair of mono-block s.e.t. tube amps and first plugged them into outlets with surge protection only. It sounded good but noticed a faint buzz during pause from about 2 feet away. I wouldn’t call it a problem because it isn’t audible from my listening position but I thought I should try a different set up to see if the power I’m getting isn’t all that clean. So I plugged them into my Panamax’s filtered outlets and I’ve learned two things from this. One, I do not have dirty power problem or even if I do, it wasn’t the cause of buzzing. Two, filtered power does hider the performance of tube amp because it sounded like they just got a shot of tranquilizer. When I plugged them back into non-filtered outlet, the sound came alive again.

From what I read soundhound, you have your tube amps plugged into filtered power outlets and you don’t have problems like mine? If so, I’m confused.

#12375 - 03/25/04 07:48 PM Re: What's Causing this Noise?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

My power amps are only plugged into a surge protector at the present time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts