Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1215 - 02/09/02 01:30 PM What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States, Louisiana
I was just wondering what kind of audio system do the younger people of this board have. When I say younger people I mean anyone 18 and under. Well, I'll start it off by naming what my system is.

Mains: Cerwin Vega E-715's

Center: Cerwin Vega E-76C

Surround: Cerwin Vega E-710's

Subwoofer: Aiwa TSW60

Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS595

CD player: Kenwood CD404

Also I would like to know if you are planing to make any upgrades to your system in the near future. For example I want to upgrade my Aiwa sub soon but as for now I have to worry about getting the E-715's.

Thanx for reading,

Chris

#1216 - 02/09/02 04:41 PM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
..nice set up for your age, I think I had a clock radio...

I think my son runs a couple of old bookcase Bose, very old LARGE box Fishers,
some HK reciever (he bought for about 400)and a JVC VHS, with the playstation for DVD's.

Right now, he's waiting on me to upgrade, because he's spending all his $ on his car & girl!

#1217 - 02/09/02 05:18 PM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Your son is lucky, sometimes I wish I had a girl to spend money on. However I think I will wait until next year when I'm 17 before I start dating. By that time I hope to have my home audio setup completed and have truck fixed up really nice, air bags, ground effects, bed cover, spoiler, you know those kind of things.

Oh yes I usually don't include this when I talk about home audio, but since your son has a PS2 then I have to say I have an XBOX for dvd use.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Thenotsonewguy (edited February 09, 2002).]

#1218 - 02/09/02 06:30 PM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Don’t worry, your time will come, and the grass is ALWAYS greener on the ‘other side’
When you don’t have a girl, looks like the whole world is ‘couples” …not true.
Right now my son’s desperate to finish his yearlong project car, and the GIRL gets in the way, (and he misses his guy friends…not allowed).
She gets in such a snit about his divided time, I have to laugh and apologize to ‘my’ husband when I ask him if I ever acted like that, (he says I didn’t I bet I did!)
You see, my husband & I started dating at 17, (we’re a rare breed), so we had a lot of hard learning over the years.

America is a pretty weird place, so many movies, books telling you one thing or another, but…I swear you’ll find out 20 years from now; its not how ‘many’ girls, or ‘when’ the girl…….the truth is someday,.its all about the ‘ right’ girl.
(most the men I know, gave up looking and trying so hard, tired of searching. And then, as soon as they gave up,.. no rhyme or reason, …boom here she came)

Your smarter than the average Joe Blow, and your right, buy all your toys first! Cause after you got a girl, your too broke for any of that stuff.

My son would prob like a XBOX but he’s too smart to ask, He knows what I went thru to find the PS2 the first Christ. it came out. I bet its cool.

#1219 - 02/09/02 07:38 PM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
youngguns Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nunica, Michigan
hi, im 16 and i have an outlaw 1050 reciver, with all monster and audioquest cables, i have a 20" sony trinitron vega for my television, a $230 sony dvd player, sony tape deck, sony single disc player (early 90's) home made hardwood stand, real cherry wood (perffect replica of sanussound stuff).....................................................................ok here is the only bad part, i have a pair of pioneer front's from the 80's or 90's (they don't sound that bad) an advent center, and soundbite rear speakers. yeah i know the speakers really really suck but i will be soon upgrading to monitor audio silver 5i's for front's and still don't know about the other speakers.

#1220 - 02/10/02 11:39 AM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

If I was you youngguns I would not be to worry about having old speakers. Before I got my Onkyo 595 I was using duel 2channel amps. One was an Onkyo TX-8511 and the other was an old Fisher X-100 integrated tube amp. The Fisher came with a pair of old Magnavox speakers which were at least over 30 years old. But when I hooked up those babies to that Fisher (which is like 40 years old I think) those speakers shook my whole house. At the time I only had a pair of Cerwin Vega E-710's and I could not believe how much more bass those old Magnavox produce while having the same size woofer. But sadly my old X-100 died on me a few months after I got it, no big deal I got it for free from my grandma anyway. I hoped to have it rebuilt one of these days because for being as old as it was it was a very good integrated tube amp. So don't always judge a speaker by how old it is, you might be surprise by how much the new stuff is not that big of an improvement.

Chris

#1221 - 02/10/02 05:13 PM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Also I forgot, I would like to know what some of you older people had when ya were young in terms of audio gear.

#1222 - 02/10/02 06:01 PM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
When I was in my teens, I had a Panasonic shelf system (dual tape deck, digital tuner, turntable) with some Panasonic speakers (little particle-board towers with a single 5" speaker in each) and a Pioneer 6-disc CD changer. Ditched the speakers for generic bookshelf speakers that weren't much better after high school, bought a Pioneer receiver and tape deck after freshman year of college, added a Panasonic S-VHS VCR (still in use) and 19" TV after junior year of college.

------------------
Gonk

#1223 - 02/11/02 10:02 AM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I also had a Panasonic shelf system. No turntable, dual cassette, single disk CD player, digital tuner. Particleboard single-way speakers with 4" drivers. I had it from about the time I started high school (birtday gift from parents) until maybe two months ago, when I replaced it with the 1050, soon-to-be 950/770. QUITE an improvement. :-)

I didn't own a TV until after I graduated from college. And that wasn't really a TV, either; I bought a cheap JVC VCR and used it as a tuner for an old 13" computer monitor. Had the whole mess sitting on the kitchen table. That was replaced, also about two months ago, by a 27" Sony Wega. Also, QUITE an improvement.

For game systems, yeah, I had a 2600 when I was real little, which my parents upgraded to an original Nintendo a few years later. That was the last game system I had until I bought a PS2 about two months ago. That was an UNBELIEVABLE improvement.

Once this round of upgrades is finished, and I get the 950/770, I probably won't upgrade again for quite a many years. I'm the kind of guy who likes to do things all at once.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#1224 - 02/11/02 10:20 AM Re: What kind of system does the younger audio people have?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Matthew's remarks brought some fun memories back. I also owned an Atari 2600, and I didn't own another game console until I picked up a Dreamcast back in December for $50. And there was a year or so in college when I didn't have a TV but I did have a pretty nice VCR (didn't record anymore because the record head was shot, and we had to pull the cover off a couple of times and clean the read heads). One of my roommates had a big JVC stereo system (CD changer, tuner, pre-amp, and amp) and a really old TV that had a speaker problem -- if the TV was on, the speaker constantly spewed static. I loaned him my VCR to use as a cable box (with the audio going out to his pre-amp) and he drove a screwdriver through the TV's speaker until it was silent.

------------------
Gonk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM