Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#117 - 06/26/01 12:59 PM Is 3 digital inputs enough?
tom morgan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas,NV,USA
Is three digital inputs enough for you 1050 users? I am considering buying a 1050, what is the #1 feature/spec you would add to your 1050 if you could add anything? TIA
tom

#118 - 06/26/01 01:27 PM Re: Is 3 digital inputs enough?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Three digital inputs can work, but it depends on what you are using. I'd like to have had a second coax digital input, but I don't really need it. It depends largely on what components you will be using. Currently, I have a digital cable box that has a coax output that I'm not using (going analog through the VCR to the 1050), a DVD player with coax and optical outputs (using the coax), and a CD changer with an optical out (not used -- it's a Yamaha CDC-775, and I found I liked the Yamaha DAC better than the 1050's for CD playback). My previous CD changer was a Harman/Kardon with coax out, and I used the coax out from it to the 1050 (I preferred the 1050's DAC to the HK's DAC) and optical for the DVD. I'll probably add a Playstation2 at some point, which has optical out. All that to say, "check out your sources." Three digital inputs can be a bit sparse if you have a lot of stuff going into the 1050.

What would I add to the 1050? DTS-ES would be great (as would DPL II, of course -- maybe there will be a 1070 with these added, after the 950 is done). A little more room around the speaker binding posts? (This is true of any receiver, though, and only bothered me when I was biwiring my new speakers. Once I get a 750, I won't care anymore.)

There are some things that I don't mind not being included: component video input/output (on a receiver in the 1050's bracket, routing component video through the receiver is sort of silly IMHO), on-screen displays (the 1050 is designed to be easily operated without an OSD, and it gives you the option of bypassing the receiver entirely with your video signal if you want), S-video/composite switching (all of my inputs are S-video, but if you have both S-video and composite video inputs, be aware that the 1050 can't output S-video inputs to composite or vice-versa). The last of those might pose a problem for some people with S-video inputs on their TV's and only composite video on their VCR's (S-VHS is pretty rare), but it can be worked around pretty easily.

#119 - 06/26/01 02:52 PM Re: Is 3 digital inputs enough?
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Good question. I hope a lot of people post their opinions. I am using an external amp in a fairly standard system component wise, just for reference.

The digital input concern you mention is a valid thought. I have devices with only coax digital outputs and therefore have to run one of them with analog only. There are converters (cyclops, audio authority, etc) that can convert a coax to optical signal, but I have never researched this further and don't know if it is a good method or not. I suspect it is fine, but cannot say for sure. Approximate price seemed to be around $30-$80 or so each. There are also selector/converter boxes out there that will allow 4 optical and 4 coax to autoselect, so it becomes almost unlimited at that point, conversion wise. I think they start around $130. For me, I have been OK using analog outs for my digital cable, as I don't subscribe to any channels which output multi-channel digital anyway. I agree with Gonk, there are good alternatives when choosing equipment most of the time.

I personally would have preferred something more robust as far as triggering goes. The trigger included is not compatible with my Monster power conditioner, so instead of triggering my amp through the 1050, I trigger off of my cable box, meaning my cable box is on even when I'm listening to CD's. I know I could make a triggering circuit to up the voltage, but have been too lazy to do so.

I would say, especially considering the recent price reduction, I would consider the 1050 well worth the money for anybody except the ultra-high end consumer. Anybody who works for a living can really appreciate the 1050 in almost all respects.

S.

#120 - 06/26/01 11:29 PM Re: Is 3 digital inputs enough?
tmorgan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
Thanks for the replies.
I have a coax out on my digital cable box(SA Explorer 2000). I use this to get DD on the 38 premium channels ( only Showtime ch. 240 is 5.1, but the others and the ppv channels all sound better in DD ). I have a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD that has only coax digital out. I guess my worries are covered for $130. Do any of you use the 4 coax and 4 opto in to one coax and one opto out device? Or do any of you know any more about it?

#121 - 06/27/01 12:26 AM Re: Is 3 digital inputs enough?
Kevin Coleman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita Kansas U.S.A.
I think three is plenty. Especially if you consider they make optical and coaxial digital switchers now that work automatically that you can add on.

Kevin C.

#122 - 06/27/01 07:23 AM Re: Is 3 digital inputs enough?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Three are fine for me for the foreseeable future. Currently my "digital out" components consist of a DVD player with both a COAX and TOS-Link out and an LD player with TOS-Link out. So I still have one free for Digital Cable or Satallite if I ever go either of those routes, and I can't imagine going with both. Heck, I can't imagine being able to afford both!

I have no interest in an MD player and my SVHS VCR doesn't support digital audio out. While I can't see myself buying one unless my VCR died, as far as a I know, units like the Replay or Tivo don't have digital audio out either.

Hth,

------------------
pat----

home: psklenar@home.com ... office: psklenar@uhc.com

no home page yet, so ...
Entertainment Center ---==*==--- DVD Collection

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts