Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#12114 - 01/14/04 12:59 PM Re: DLP vs. LCD vs. CRT
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Junk!? Really? Wow, that thing is $7K! That's $100/inch for crap eh? I know bigger isn't always better, especially with projectors, it just magnifies the flaws, but it is still hard to swallow that it would be that bad. Could you elaborate beyond "unspectacular"?

------------------
Tekdredger

#12115 - 01/15/04 02:01 AM Re: DLP vs. LCD vs. CRT
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Cool your heels. Intel is working a flat display superior to what is out there today at 1/3 the cost. Due out end of the year.

http://www.intel.com/design/celect/technology/lcos/index.htm?iid=HPAGE+low_prod_040113&

#12116 - 01/15/04 11:53 AM Re: DLP vs. LCD vs. CRT
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
A word of extreme caution on the press reports about Intel. What they are developing is a series of Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) chips that will be used by a variety of companies to develop "light engines" that form the core of front or rear screen projectors. Those companies (currently five are involved) will, in turn, either put the engines in sets with their own branding, product the sets but offer them as OEM products to other brands, or sell the engines to companies that add their own value-add in the form of proprietary processing to build an RPTV.

Contrary to some reports, Intel is NOT developing a "flat panel" display in the form of somethign such as a PDP or large-screen LCD.

Also, their goal is to price the "light engine" at a level similar to current DLP engines within a year or so, but there is no mention of product pricing, as that is up to the end manufacturer, not Intel.

One of my fellow doggies saw two different developers' versions of the Intel chips in prototype sets in their very early stage at the CES last week, and the report is that while they look good and hold promise, there is still work to be done. Look for the chips to appear in products about this time next year.

But what do I know, I'm only a dog.

"ARF ARF" says Iggy!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts