Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12000 - 10/22/03 11:36 AM 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I know others have run into this problem, and wondered what everyone uses under these circumstances. I have a DVD Player w/ 5.1 outputs, and a SACD Player w/ 5.1 outputs.....and the 950 only has one set of inputs.....just go for three of the Radio Shack 2 way A/V Selector Switches # 15-1952 ???
Any more elegant solutions that don't cost hundreds of dollars???
I know there are some clever, resourceful Outlaws out there, and I am asking for some other ideas........
If some are using the Radio Shack switcher, does it work effectively? Without degrading sound too much, or too much of a hassle??
Just wondering...........
Guess I need lots more cables........

#12001 - 10/22/03 12:42 PM Re: 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I was just talking to a friend in Dallas about this last week (he's contemplating a 950/7100 and already has a DVD-Audio player). It's a pretty common problem, since a single 5.1 analog input is something of a standard for receivers and pre/pros. Probably the two most common "elegant" solutions are the Sony TA-P9000ES (a multi-channel analog preamp with several 5.1 inputs) and a rudimentary 6-channel two-input switchbox sold here (site's not working for me at the moment, I'm afraid). The Sony runs around $400 on the used market, while the other is around $250. Both include remotes (it may be optional on the switchbox). A lot of people have elected to use two or three Radio Shack A/V switches (the composite video path can be used for audio switching if you want, eliminating one switch). It's reportedly very transparent, although I haven't heard such a setup myself.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12002 - 10/22/03 03:02 PM Re: 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Please refer to and add to this thread:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000180.html

I would believe there is a nice market currently for a device like this...

#12003 - 10/22/03 03:33 PM Re: 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
- How did I forget about that thread? Adding a link for the Zektor to the Saloon Links now...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12004 - 10/23/03 10:11 AM Re: 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Jason and Gonk,
I saw that thread and would buy something like that in a heartbeat...........a great idea...
The Zektor Switcher is almost perfect, but at $499.00 it should do alot more.....
A little out of my budget range.....really cool unit though.............
now, maybe for $100-$200 I would think about it..........
I never thought to use the composite video plug for an audio signal.....that will really work alright??? That would be great.....(would only need 2 A/V Selectors instead of 3....) Sure wish the Outlaws would make something like this, and combine with their ICBM like you suggested....
gonna keep looking, but probably end up at Radio Shack.......
oh, well...............

#12005 - 10/23/03 03:14 PM Re: 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by daddy_guy:
A little out of my budget range.....really cool unit though.............
now, maybe for $100-$200 I would think about it..........

That's about the range I had in mind also.

I also agree that the current crop of switchers seem to be priced pretty high. Almost seems like a marketing type gimick. Since they're going to be used for "high resolution" audio they need a high price also...

#12006 - 10/24/03 12:06 AM Re: 2 - SETS OF 5.1 OUTPUTS/ONLY ONE 5.1 INPUT
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

It is so true.......we are asking for a simple switcher........nice, simple, clean signal.....that's all......so far, the best price on a piece not made by Radio Shack is in the $300 range...and up...way up.....
kinda ridiculous....a simple switcher.....Wish Outlaw could help and post a simple solution for this problem....if there is such a thing....I have had pretty good and really bad experiences with Radio Shack stuff. You just never know with them. If I could find something just a little better...I can't believe there isn't a good market for such an item...where are these things???
Oh well, guess I'll see you at Radio Shack!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM