Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11961 - 10/18/03 08:45 AM I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I am really loving my new 950/755 combo, and my new DVD player, the Denon DVD3800. I am just beginning to get into some DVD-Audio, and am loving it (some multi channel music sounds incredible...)....now I want to hear some SACD's.....and I guess I need another player...( love my 3800 too much to consider chucking it and starting over.....it is a beautiful player I got at a bargain price....)since it doesn't seem likely that we will be seeing releases done in both formats...it seems to be either/or....
I am also not able to spend alot...for various reasons....tax time, etc.....
Any ideas on a pretty good, but not really expensive SACD player?? Looking at the SONY DVP-NS755V PLAYER...it is in my budget....any other ideas??? Also, what would I do about having two 5.1 outputs with only one 5.1 input?? Radio Shack??? What parts would you use to make something like that work???

#11962 - 10/18/03 05:52 PM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I use the Sony DVP-NS500V and it works great for me. I got it for under $200 new. Unfortunately, it's not made anymore. But if you find a used one...

The Sony is a good deal for SACD playback. Don't forget, there are some SACD/CD only players out there for around $200. If you already have DVD taken care of, there are some other options.

People have used the Radio Shack switch boxes to good effect. You need three stereo switchers for that option.

My idea for Outlaw on this matter is in the "New Product Suggestion" saloon. See the thread on the multi-channel ICBM.

I just heard a great demo of SACD technology at the Audio Engineering Society convention in NYC. Sennheiser and Neumann recorded the Basie Big Band in multi-channel DSD. Playback was from a Genex hard disk recorder going through Meitner DACs and a Meitner Switchmann box. Speakers were Avalon monitors powered by a BAT amp. Let me just say that I've never heard a trumpet sound that "live" on playback. Amazing image also..

Well, hope all this helps. Good luck!

#11963 - 10/18/03 06:21 PM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Yep, I figured I would need three switchers...that kinda sucks....your idea is a good one, and quite valid. Those things would sell!! A really good thread.....Zektors MAS3 is a little out of my budget range.....(thank you, Radio Shack)
A cool piece of equipment though...
I figured Sony would have an edge with SACD....for obvious reasons.....might try the NS755....$229..00 at Crutchfield, $199.00 at Stereo Advantage...
now, if Outlaw would make that switcher/ICBM I would have it made.....
just gotta try SACD, because if it is anything like DVD-Audio, I AM HOOKED!!!!
What a sucker I am!!!!
I am hoping there are other "suckers" out there too.....
gonna keep diggin' and lookin' into it....

WHY ALWAYS TWO FORMATS??? IS IT SOME RULE OR SOMETHING????????

#11964 - 10/18/03 06:32 PM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I just bought the Pioneer DV-563 for $180 so I could enjoy both SACD and DVD-A. What I like about this player is it automatically detects whether the sound should be sent out through the 5.1 analog or the digital out. I'm not sure if its a big deal to others, but my Toshiba DVD-A player made me have to go into the menu everytime to change the audio out. It does have bass management as well but since I am an 950 owner I don't need it.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited October 18, 2003).]

#11965 - 10/18/03 07:10 PM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

I am looking into the Pioneer Player too.....a really good price!!!!
.......gotta look for some reviews ...I'll check into it.....

#11966 - 10/19/03 12:29 PM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
It may not matter for your listening pleasure, but that Pioneer player downconverts DSD to PCM on playback. It probably still sounds pretty good but it isn't the true SACD experience.

A note on the above comment: One of the facets of DSD over PCM that I like is that with DSD, I can listen to the whole album without getting what I like to call, "the digital headache." Basically, long term digital listening gives me this nice dull headache. I usually contribute it to the fact my brain has to do some work to complete the waveform from all those little samples. With analog, oh yeah!, and DSD, I don't seem to be affected by this side effect. This is the reason that I don't like the concept of downconverting DSD to PCM. Oh well, just my .02 cents...

I would bet the Sony sounds a lot better with SACD than that Pioneer. Also, I would bet that your Denon sounds better with DVD-Audio. IMHO, if you already have DVD-Audio, I would go for the dedicated SACD player.

Why two formats? Competition

#11967 - 10/20/03 12:47 AM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
Don't know your price range, but there's 3 Denons on the market at this point that are universal players (DVD-audio w/SACD no downconversion of SACD). The DVD-2200 ($525 new on ebay), the DVD-2900 ($899 new on ebay or etronics.com) and the DVD-5900 ($3000 on etronics.com). There seems to be no discernable difference between the 2200 and the 2900 other than the 2900 is 7lbs heavier. I've emailed several retailers and even Denon concerning the difference.,Denon has not seen fit to reply, but the retailers say there is no functional difference other than the weight. The reviews for the 2900 have been astounding, whereas the 2200 is too new to have any reviews.

#11968 - 10/20/03 01:15 AM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Jason, The Pioneer only downconverts DSD to LPCM only if you are using the bass management. For those of us who own a 950 or ICBM and don't need BM it goes from DSD to Analog directly, just like your Sony. I'm not sure about your bet, but I have been very pleased with the DVD-A and SACD sound quality.

#11969 - 10/20/03 10:35 AM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Jed M:
Jason, The Pioneer only downconverts DSD to LPCM only if you are using the bass management.

Jed: I had not heard this before anywhere. Did you discover this online or is this information only available in the literature that comes with the unit? Having output available without downconverting would be a great solution for many of us.

#11970 - 10/20/03 01:21 PM Re: I WANT TO LISTEN TO SACD...NEED A PLAYER!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

BBFTB, its hard to say really, and I may be wrong, but here (along with some posts scattered here and there) is where I got my info, about half way down the page. http://slottweak.com/DV_563A/563review.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts