Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11917 - 09/22/03 06:45 PM "Loudness" compensation
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
For the older Outlaws, do you remember when receivers had a "loudness" button or dial for low level listening. I can't remember the name for it, but there is name for the way human hearing is effected by low volume music, (can't detect the highs and lows so well). Hence the reason for the loudness compensation, it boosts the treble and bass at low listening. So why has it disappeared? We have dolby digital compression for desired listening levels, so why not Loudness compensation for music? Just curious why it went by the wayside.

#11918 - 09/22/03 08:44 PM Re: "Loudness" compensation
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Who listens at low levels nowadays?

Know any feature films whose soundtracks cry out for "nice, soft, and gentle?"

I went to see Springsteen a few months ago. My ears hurt for days after that.

There's a restaurant in (Old) Montreal called Mod-A-Vie. It has a great three piece combo jazz band. You can sit at a table 10 feet away and still carry on an intimate conversation with your guests. Gotta be the last place in the world like it. (Best rack of lamb in the world as well!)

'Nuff said

Jeff Mackwood

#11919 - 09/22/03 10:32 PM Re: "Loudness" compensation
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
My Elite receiver has a Loudness and a "midnight" mode.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11920 - 09/22/03 10:49 PM Re: "Loudness" compensation
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I imagine that like actual tone controls (with real knobs), this feature is fading away. Most people probably never grasped the theory behind loudness compensation anyway.

#11921 - 09/22/03 11:08 PM Re: "Loudness" compensation
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm hanging on to my old B&O system from 1975. It has a Loudness button that works great.

I use it in my computer room with the XM Radio. And it has the added benefit that Soundhound thinks that the receiver looks like a bunch of slide rules.

#11922 - 09/22/03 11:29 PM Re: "Loudness" compensation
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Ah Ha!! Just for kicks, how many of you out there have actually used a slide rule??

#11923 - 09/23/03 01:52 AM Re: "Loudness" compensation
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
Guilty as charged. For 2 years I was in Chemical Engineering before changing majors. Long story. But I used one many, many times. Only Computer at school was the main one and you had to book times to run programs for my COBOL class. Of couse I am as my title says, an Old (fill in the blanks)

#11924 - 09/23/03 04:01 AM Re: "Loudness" compensation
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Just as CAD has taken the pencils out of the designer's hands, the use of calculators has diminished many peoples understanding of simple concepts that are fundamental to sound and it's reproduction.

Proportional methods of analysis such as Logarithmic Scale and the slide rule give us a direct physical experience which helps us in our fundamental understanding of both pitch and volume... frequency and sound pressure.

The same can be applied to other waveforms such as light energy and frequency (color)... I would prefer that all students learn the miracles of the slide rule (adding exponents of common bases) in algebra class like most of us codgers did in high school. Teach a class with a prism, a guitar and a slide rule, and the world would be a better place.

I can't help feeling old when I try to explain to young University students or recent grads about how 'the chip' has both improved our lives, and also made for a less enlightened and enriched understanding of our world.

Then I just push this button over here... and anyone in the world with access to a computer can read what one person (in still blacked out city of Washington, DC) mused about late one night, just to stay connected...

Wooooooooooo... what greater meaning would there be to those who had a tube and relay CPU. It is not such a far fetched thought as it first might seem.

[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited September 23, 2003).]

#11925 - 09/23/03 09:05 AM Re: "Loudness" compensation
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
I too would like to see a Loudness button - to increase the high treble and low bass at low to medium listening levels. My last 2 processors / receivers had it, and when listening to CDs through the Home Theatre it makes a favorable improvement.

#11926 - 09/23/03 09:36 AM Re: "Loudness" compensation
jgambino Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: worcester,MA
You're making me feel old this morning! I've still have my slide rule and an old Luxman intergrated amp with loudness control and various other switches no longer found on equipment.

[This message has been edited by jgambino (edited September 23, 2003).]
Kef Reference 203 R/L, Reference 202c center, Kef Q15 surrounds,Kef Q100 rear surrounds, Velodyne VLF-1012 sub, Krell Showcase pre/pro, Krell 2250 Amplifier, Lexicon CX-5 amplifier, Sanyo Z5 projector, Oppo BD-83SE Blu-Ray player, Luxman PD121 turntable, PS Audio GCPH phono preamp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts