Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11848 - 08/30/03 04:32 PM Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I am looking for a a crossover that I can put between my LFE output on my reciever and my amp that I use to power my passive subwoofer. Any ideas?

Thanks
Lasher

#11849 - 09/01/03 12:39 AM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
There are Passive Xovers that you can get from partsexpress.com and they are RCA female to RCA male, meant to be put inline. But be warned, using them in the wrong direction will affect the output of your mains, so use them properly. They are made by Harrison.

#11850 - 09/01/03 03:17 AM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

I checked out the site and saw the crossovers you were talking about. What I'm looking for is a electronic crossover with a nob like what is on a powered sub. A phase switch would be nice also Any other idea's??? Thanks for the Help!! I should have been more detailed the first time. If you can think of somthing else Please Help

Thanks
Lasher

#11851 - 09/01/03 01:51 PM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

There are active crossovers by companies like pyramid, but most of the cheaper ones are designed for use in cars. If you want one for your home, it will cost you some $$'s. I tried both the active from Pyramid and these Harrison Passives and I just went with the passives because the active did not give me enough headroom and it introduced too much noise. It only cost $20, but now I know. You probably could use an ICBM in this instance to get what you want. But if you had to spend this much, then you might as well buy an entire amp unit for your passive sub that has the controls built in.

#11852 - 09/01/03 03:21 PM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the info!! I kind of figured the same thing. What I have is a JBL psw-d112 that I bought for $45.00 (eBay) with a blown amp. From all the reviews I read these were great sounding subs but they were know for amps blowing up in less than a year. I figured for 45 bucks I could power it myself. I guess I'll just end up springing for a new (non JBL) plate amp from parts express. Have you ever heard anything about these parts express amps (ie:good or bad)or know of other places that sell plate amps? Any info would help me out alot

Thanks Again
Lasher

#11853 - 09/01/03 10:37 PM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

If you have an amp, try the cheapest alternative first, go with the passive filters and just pick the one you want to Xover at. The Harrison knock offs didn't cost that much if I recall. But, if you are wanting to go plate amp, then the ones from parts express are the same ones used in many speaker systems, they just OEM them direct to help the DIY crowd. Sometimes they have them on sale and you can get a good deal of power for the $$'s you spend. I recommend partsexpress because I have been using them for 10+ years and they have always taken good care of me.

#11854 - 09/01/03 11:46 PM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I have the 150 watt Parts Express subwoofer amp. Works perfectly with my passive sub. Only issue is that my auto switch failed, I think, so now it doesn't turn off. Oh well...

#11855 - 09/02/03 04:08 PM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the help guys!! This subwoofer came with a 250watt Plate amp. Do you think going with a 350watt Parts express would be too much for the 12" JBL? I don't want to overpower but I don't want to underpower either I'm not sure if the JBL is 8ohm or 4ohm so it's hard to decide what to go with. Any Imput?

Thanks Again
Lasher

#11856 - 09/02/03 04:16 PM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

If it were me, I would overpower the speakers rating with the amp I get, like I did with my outlaw 200W per 150W speaker. You will end up with better clarity for your amplification across the range of the speaker.

#11857 - 09/13/03 12:06 AM Re: Crossover for Passive Subwoofer?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Well I found another amp at a great price so I bought it. I can't seem to find any info on it though. It is made by Homni Enterprises model# S200ETH. Anyone ever heard of it or them?? I found a company that use to sell them but not any more. Any information would help

Thanks Again
Lasher

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts