Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1182 - 02/08/02 01:45 PM 1050 - more bass management
charlie Offline
Desperado

One more question:

If the LFE on the 1050 is switched off where does the .1 information get routed?

For instance if I have 2 large speakers on L&R with small speakers elsewhere and no LFE, does the LFE data just dribble out onto the floor or will the 1050 be smart enough to route it the fronts?

Charlie

#1183 - 02/08/02 01:52 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I glanced at the manual and couldn't tell for sure (there's a paragraph on sub/sats that mentions disabling the sub, but it doesn't speak specifically of what happens to the .1 channel in that case). Unless Pat knows (1050 beta tester and all...) or someone else has any definite info, you could probably get a quick and expert answer with an e-mail to Outlaw.

------------------
Gonk

#1184 - 02/08/02 04:45 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I also wonder, if you've got full range speakers on the front, and smalls in the rear, and no sub, will it crossover the rears into the fronts? Or is the crossover disabled with no sub? Or are the speakers crossed over and the result thrown away?

#1185 - 02/08/02 05:10 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If your mains are set to large and there's no sub, the mains should receive any information from below the crossover point from any speaker set to small. That's the way I understand it, at least.

------------------
Gonk

#1186 - 02/08/02 10:22 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
libirm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westhampton, NY USA
Good Question Charlie
I have a pair of large front speakers that actually go a bit below the sub I have. To test out how they sound with out the sub I changed the setting suggested to me by Outlaw's support. Cross-over to 60 then 80, no sub. Frankly I was disappointed with the lack of bass. I know my speakers can handle it, but there was not the good bottom I get when the sub is on. I am wondering if there is something amiss with my 1050.
I welcome any suggestions about the settings.
In the mean time I will keep the sub on and set to the setting given me by Outlaw.

[This message has been edited by libirm (edited February 08, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by libirm (edited February 08, 2002).]

#1187 - 02/11/02 12:32 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Charlie,

One way to find out where the .1 goes is to use Avia or VE's test tones (or even any disc that has that THX 'optimization' test tone, I own 4 or 5, I think) with your speaker set-up. There is a discrete .1 signal with no other signal, so if you hear it, then it is re-routed. If you hear the main channels hiss, then a few seconds of silence, I'd suspect the .1 is indeed on the floor under your couch. . .

S.

#1188 - 02/11/02 03:36 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
charlie Offline
Desperado

I ran the Sound and Vision subwoofer level test while switching the 1050 LFE off and on. The .1 does indeed seem to get routed to any 'large' speakers if LFE is off.

Too bad I didn't know that while I was designing the system. It's tough to write a really good manual - the folks writing the manual are usually to familiar with the product to really ask all the questions.

I wonder if any receivers/processors out there have the ability to mix some LFE back into the 6 directional channels. Kinda doubt it.

Oh well - It still sounds fine.

Charlie

#1189 - 02/14/02 07:39 PM Re: 1050 - more bass management
charlie Offline
Desperado

I did a bit more checking and the 1050 isn't QUITE that smart. Here is the scenario:

Front = small
center = small
Surround = large
LFE = off

In this case the system has no LFE output and the bass is pretty much gone. I suspect any bass that was sent to left, right or LFE is never sent to RS,CS,C or LS.

In short the 'bass management' seems to be a matter of shuffling low pass signal between front and LFE. Pretty weak. I have to admit I'm a bit dissapointed.

The 'Bass Managment' section in the manual is a bit misleading in that it strongly implies any speakers marked 'large' get bass routed to them. The actual behavior is a reasonable compromise but should be stated explicitly in the user manual. I downloaded and read the manual before my purchase, and this would have given me pause.

It's STILL a steal at $550 and, well, it still sounds fine. ;-)

Charlie

#1190 - 02/15/02 09:32 AM Re: 1050 - more bass management
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Most people who have full-range surronds will also have full-range fronts. I think turning off the sub simply routes all bass to the mains, since that's where most people would put their full-range speakers. Marking them as small is probably what gets the bass thrown away.

#1191 - 02/17/02 11:44 AM Re: 1050 - more bass management
John Di Lauro Offline
Gunslinger

This has been an interesting thread that has prompted me to do some experimenting. I thought I understood the bass management but now I'm not sure; I think this is another area where the 1050 manual is a little thin on its explanation.

I have no subwoofer. My mains are bookshelves w/ passive radiators which are supposed to be capable to 35 Hz. Using the "Gladiator" battle scene for test material, I played with the large vs. small settings as well as the crossover point.

Setting the speakers to "large" or "small" seemed to make no difference, nor did changing the crossover point. The 1050 manual implies, but does not explicitly state, that the crossover setting is only active when there is a sub connected to the system.

Am I missing something? Maybe the "Gladiator" track doesn't have enough LFE to make an audible difference with my system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts