Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11633 - 07/25/03 09:43 AM New headphones?
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

I'm looking for headphones to replace my trusty Sony MDR-5V's (I think). The covering on the foam jut started to fall off. It's a sticky mess and since they must be over 10 years old, I decided it's time for an upgrade.
I mainly use them for all kinds of music when our puppy and my wife have to sleep at night.
I could go as far as $150, maybe $200, and would like a good pair that has warm sound and are comfortable to wear. I like the idea of cordless, but I have never listened to a pair and don't know what the sound quality is like.
Does anyone have some suggestions?

#11634 - 07/25/03 04:14 PM Re: New headphones?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Here's the best piece of advice to start with: read the packaging before you buy. If it says "Made in China" don't buy! A surprising number of name brands now source their stuff, especially "accessories" like headphones, from China. It's all crap.

Having said that, my next piece of advice is that you really don't need to spend a whack of money to get something very good. I've owned everything from Koss, to Senheiser, to AKG. All of their best models - back in the good old days. Still use a pair of AKG 240s when doing home recording.

However a couple of years ago I wanted something that would work with everything from my home components, to my computer (Sony Vaio with built in DVD - when on the road), to just about any airline's in-flight entertainment system (using an adapter plug that fell into my briefcase years ago from a Canadian Airlines flight). It had to be light, fit easily in a computer soft case, and have excellent sound as well. It needed to fit comfortably for at least a couple of hours AND provide enough external sound isolation to be able to comfortably drown out the screaming toddler in row 16! I happened by a run-of-the-mill mass-market sound place in Vancouver and auditionned a half-dozen or so. The only one that met (or was judged likely to meet) all of the criteria was a set of Denon AH-D210's. They were less than $100Cdn at the time. I still use them often and am very happy with them.

I'm sure there's lots of "high end" stuff out there - and some pro models. Your call if you think it's worth it or not. If I were you I'd draw up your own list of requirements and then go out and audition a bunch of them. Make sure that you plug them into numerous pieces and types of gear since with headphones it's pretty easy to get some impedance mismatches that will really screw things up. (You may not be able to get much volume. You may get way too much. You may overload the headphone amp. Etc.) You'd hate to get them home and find out that they don't work with that one piece of gear that you were really hoping to use them with!

Good luck.

Jeff Mackwood

#11635 - 07/25/03 04:52 PM Re: New headphones?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I'm very happy with a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones. I still believe they may be the best bargain in audio under $100. Their only downfall, or advantage depending on how you look at it, is that they are open backed headphones so you hear everything else in the room also. But if you're in a quiet room, they sound amazing for their price. Most hi-fi stores who carry Grado will let you try them out...

#11636 - 07/25/03 05:21 PM Re: New headphones?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Another vote for the Grados - mine get a bit uncomfortable after extended listening however.

#11637 - 07/25/03 06:40 PM Re: New headphones?
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
I have two pairs of headphones; Sennheiser HD 600s, and Grado SR 80s. I use a Headroom Little headphone amp with them. I always like the sound of the Grado's, but when I heard the Sennheiser's, with the Little amp I was sold on that combination. I am getting a Headroom Air Head amp for the Grado's which I will bring to the office.

#11638 - 07/28/03 05:08 PM Re: New headphones?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
If you haven't purchased yet I can highly recommend Sennheiser HD-580 headhpones. They started my obsesion with audio equipment which lead me to purchase my outlaw 1050. They are open so they don't block sound from the room and you will hear noise in the room if it exists. However, they sound GREAT ! They are like the 600's but a little cheaper since they are made of plastic instead of metal. I got mine for $160 from Amazon. Sennheiser makes cordless also but I don't have any experience with them. Their website has a lot of info.

#11639 - 07/31/03 12:50 AM Re: New headphones?
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
There is some good headphone information available on Headroon's web site. They are having a sale on some of there outstanding products right now. Give them a look. AT www.headphone.com/

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts