Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11616 - 07/16/03 11:24 PM Re: What gave you your 'appetite for audio excellence?'
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Unferth:
Trivia about the obscure trivia:

Soundhound, how do you know that?

There was an article in Mix magazine a couple months ago about the recording of that album. They have a "classic tracks" article in each issue that offers facinating information on how some of the early recordings were made.

And there is the issue about my, I mean, THE baby

#11617 - 07/17/03 12:14 AM Re: What gave you your 'appetite for audio excellence?'
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
for such detail …more than you ever wanted to know !?

After that trip down memory lane, -I’m going to have to go dig that out at my parents and spin it. I remember HATING trumpets for awhile, (I guess he played it a lot) I don’t think I liked that album at all. I also remember “telling’ on him to my mother.
“MOMMY do you see what Picture Daddy has!” I was not even allowed to be in the same room as a James Bond flic, My parents bless them for trying were some of the last holdout residents of “Pleasantville”.

She ages well doesn’t she! had not seen that pic in years!

#11618 - 07/17/03 01:11 AM Re: What gave you your 'appetite for audio excellence?'
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
When I was growing up at home we also had the Whipped Cream & Other Delights album. I really liked that album and the music too. I always loved music, it could take me away, bring on many emotions, could listen to it while doing other things. It's just a great gift. My uncle had a terrific stereo system but he never knew its potential, or his wife wouldn't let him. But I was intrigued by it. However I could never afford much so I "settled" for a small Panasonic tuner/phono combo. And then it hit me at my first year in college, Pioneer had a travelling demo show at the campus. I was so taken by it that I went out and purchased a 15 watt/ch stereo receiver and Advent skrs. Two months later I purchased a Technic direct drive turntable and that's when this bug got me and never let go. I stayed up all night just listening to my albums, hearing things I never knew were in the recordings. I fell in love with this electronic stuff and to this day, 27 years later, I just can't get enough.

#11619 - 07/17/03 11:23 AM Re: What gave you your 'appetite for audio excellence?'
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
Born in '53.....50 yrs. of rockin..........
amazing! My parents loved their music (Sinatra,Louis Prima/Keely Smith,Big Bands...)....that's my earliest recollections of "listening" to music..... on their huge, old, amazingly retro hi-fi (RCA, I think)....I remember being facinated with the warm glow of the tubes, and the cool look and sound of the "Hi-Fi" system, the mysterious stuff that made it sound so good....I was hooked! I had an older sister who loved Motown and the "British invasion" of the mid 60's. By my early teens I was given the old Hi-Fi, and it was a start. Soon enough I was modifying - took out the amp, the big old speakers,....and that was the beginning. Soon after got some kind of cool looking Kenwood separates in late 60's, added (modified) to the existing old RCA hand me downs, and was truly rockin'!!! When I could afford more, early 70's, bought S.A.E. separates (anyone remember...parametric eq, nice amps)and have never looked back since.....
still got the bug, only not quite as bad.
I personally loved the Herb Alpert record, and even the music inside the cover too... have loved all kinds of music considering my early musical influences...
I did love that old 50's Hi-Fi though....

#11620 - 07/17/03 09:55 PM Re: What gave you your 'appetite for audio excellence?'
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
for such detail …more than you ever wanted to know !?

Actually, SSL, being the type of inter-personal person that I am with the right kind of people, the details are just right.

I remember that my father started with an H H Scott arm and turntable, a Heathkit 25 watt mono amplifier, and a Heathkit 4-way loudspeaker: 15" in a rear-loaded and vented, corner placed, Klipsch designed cabinet; 8" low/mid-range; 2x6"(?) horn upper/mid-range; and a small circular horn tweeter. My grandfather, being an electical engineer for Union Switch and Signal (railroad equipment), was the inspiration for a non-musical LP of train sounds. A recording of the 1812 overture featured not only the symphony, but a description of how the cannon fire was recorded: multiple microphones and various distances in the attempt to capture both the sharp blast near the cannon and the more distant rumblings. Several examples of the methods tried were played back. Finally the 'tried and true, Mercury single microphone method' was determined to be the best at a distance of about 150? feet. (Seem familiar, SH?) I found the dynamics reproduced by the Heathkit equipment very, very enjoyable.

Later, to begin his foray into stereo, after some experience in mono LP's, he chose reel-to-reel 1/4" tape as his media. A "Webcor" stereo tape recorder, I think it was. I soon learned to handle the tapes carefully and enjoyed the remarkable sound of E. Power Biggs classical pipe organ being played back through that 4-way room shaker. He also had recordings of Henry Mancini's Ebb Tide, Joan Baez, Peter-Paul-and-Mary, Victory at Sea, and on and on. If I am not mistaken, I listened to Herb Alpert also!

My appetite for well reproduced sound was whetted and enhanced ... I will likely still have it throughout all my years, even if I become senile! And, in a nod to SSL's post, I wonder which will last longer even in senility ... an appetite for audio or for sex?

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited July 17, 2003).]

#11621 - 07/19/03 02:07 AM Re: What gave you your 'appetite for audio excellence?'
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts