Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11591 - 07/15/03 10:31 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
alfredo mora Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corona CA
S&Vision,DVDetc,live sound,mix,Sound&video contractor,remix,etc. By subscribing
Everything else I read at Border's

#11592 - 07/15/03 06:30 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#11593 - 07/15/03 09:04 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Charlton:
Does anyone remember Ralph Hodges? He wrote a monthly column called "The High End". He, sadly, died of cancer in, I believe, 1989. His column was the one I always looked foward to, and the one I will always miss reading.
I remember "The High End". It was the very first thing I read in each issue, even though it was on the very last page of the magazine.

After Hodges died, Corey Greenberg took over the column (which retained its name) for a short while before moving on to bigger and better.

Best,
Sanjay

#11594 - 07/16/03 01:15 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I also subscribe to S&V. It's not the same magazine though. I used to love the HIGH END, especially when Corey used his tongue 'n cheek comments, (I actually would laugh out loud). The cartoons! The magazine just isn't funny anymore. I loved it when it was Stereo Review, oh well - progress. If it wasn't for S&V I would never be an Outlaw. The biggest thing I like about this magazine is their focus on the average hi fi person with limited funds.

#11595 - 07/16/03 05:02 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
audvid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
I find it interesting that no one mentioned The Perfect Vision. I subscribe to TPV, Stereophile, SGTHT, and S&R. I let the Stereophile drop because I didn't have much need for reviews of $70K TT and the like. I also use to subscribe to HomeTheater but let it drop too. It seemed like it lacked substance. Just glossy pictures. Sort of like Playboy does HT.

Of the magazines I subscribe to I like TPV the best. There's a good mix of equipment across the price spectrum. The articles are well written and, most of all, they like Outlaw equipment (just kidding).

One of the problems I have with all the mags are the "less than controlled" use of adjectives and superlatives when describing equipment. If two AVR's are superb, execellent, transparent, etc but one is 5 times as expensive as the other does 'excellent' have a different definition? Is it 5 times as superb. A little editorial and descriptive control on their part would be appreciated.

#11596 - 07/18/03 04:00 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
S&V and HT. I will echo comments above that HT is not so great nowadays. I used to enjoy B.Butterworth, but he is long gone. S&V is good for the average or casual HT fan. I still like D.Ranada's articles.

[This message has been edited by Slee_Stack (edited July 18, 2003).]

#11597 - 07/23/03 10:45 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Dr.Spike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Oh, Playboy, Cherry, Hustler, Maxim, Low Rider, FHM......all the usual male sexist pig kind of stuff

You mean there is more than just the great pix in those? I knew I was missing something… Ack.. I get to distracted with the pix… who can read… LOL

#11598 - 07/25/03 02:23 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA, USA
I am addicted to my audiophile mags. Stereophile, Absolute Sound, SGHT, Perfect Vision, and Sound and Vision. For HT I really use all of the above-and follow up by listening in High end shops. What I have found is simple. Listen before you buy!(I love 30 day in home). I really did like my Monitor Silver 5i's better than Vandersteen (2CE), Martin Logan (arius), after listening to them all at home. It is what you hear that is important-not what someone else hears. For me it's the music. I do read white papers and manuals for fun also-I am nerdy, and enjoy a lot of input on this subject. John

[This message has been edited by jmartin (edited July 25, 2003).]

#11599 - 07/30/03 12:00 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

My foray into stereo mags started back in the early 70’s when I was in high school. The school library stocked Stereo Review and it was then that I first read articles from Julian Hirsch, whose articles taught me a lot about stereo equipment. I currently subscribe to S&V, HT and SGTHT. Of the 3 I like S&V the best, because it gives the best “in the lab” info and David Ranada carries on in the tradition of Mr. Hirsch. I browse TAS and Stereophile at the bookstore, but they tend to cover stuff that is way too much $$$ for my budget.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts