Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11581 - 07/13/03 05:20 PM What magazines do you all read?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I currently read Sound&Vision, Audio Video Interiors, and Home Theater magazines.

Any others that you heartily recommend? I'm all ears, err eyes

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11582 - 07/13/03 05:29 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Oh, Playboy, Cherry, Hustler, Maxim, Low Rider, FHM......all the usual male sexist pig kind of stuff

#11583 - 07/13/03 05:50 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Soundhound must hide those when I go over to his place....

I used to read audio mags but find them all tedious and/or pretentious in one way or another.

The only magazine I read without fail these days is "Psychotronic Video."

#11584 - 07/13/03 09:12 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
I like SGTHT, but I take everything I read in these magazines with a huge dose of salt. In many cases, the writers and editors are no more educated on the subject than I (if that!) and some of their conclusions I find highly questionable.

However, it's a source of information I might not otherwise have. For instance, while I try to go to CES every year, I certainly don't have the time or energy to experiment with every new product that comes out the door!

Jeff

#11585 - 07/13/03 09:44 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Soundhound,

You actually READ those mags? I just look at the pix. Yeah, some of the interviews: "I just love people and want to save the ...".

I read Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. I especially like Stereophile because they do the measurement thing as well as tell how the piece of equipment sounds. The Absolute Sound can be soooooo arrogant at times. I find it very educational and interesting to correlate the measurements and the perception of how the equipment sounds. But some of the prices of equipment. Sometimes I just laugh and say: "are you for real?"

At work, I read all sorts of magazines (that I get free subscriptions to) about electronics, computers, physics and other raunchy and exciting stuff that makes my naughty parts tingle.

Occasionally, I'll look at a car magazine to see what is new and exciting (part of the reason I look at the stereo mags) and undoubtedly beyond what I can afford.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited July 14, 2003).]

#11586 - 07/13/03 10:31 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I've been getting "Car and Driver" for the last 16 years. I like the sense of humor the writers have.

All of the major recording mags that offer free subscriptions to pros I have access to. They mainly come across as advertisements but occasionaly you can find some good commentary and some good technical ideas.

I also subscribe to "Tape Op." It's really pretty cool feeling compared to the others. Somewhat more down to earth although the majority of the reviews turn out to be positive...

#11587 - 07/13/03 10:53 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Maybe I should have asked... "what audio video magazines do you like?"

Thanks to the Hound for his list...he is a true ass

I dont put stock in any of them really but even with all the info we have at our fingertips with the the www.. it's still fun to get a mag in the mailbox

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11588 - 07/14/03 02:11 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
I had cut my audio video down to one, Listener, and then it folded. I now get Sound and Vision and Stereophile, only becouse they are cheap, about a buck a copy when subscribing. I was getting the Audiophile Voice as they picked up Listeners subscription list, a very nice thing to do, and the quality is there but not a lot of substinance. At $30 a year for 6 issues I am still debating although I have enjoyed the free ones. The others are worth the buck an issue for at least keeping you up on some of the newer things and also for the music reviews (although I have disagreed with most of those lately). Limited to the house as I am I need something to at least point me in the right direction. Listener was that mag for me.

#11589 - 07/14/03 09:17 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Sound & Vision, and Handloader.
Richard

#11590 - 07/14/03 11:11 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

While I hope they don't quote me in some cheesy self-boasting ad, I've got to say that Sound & Vision has by far the best editorial content - in all departments. Useful, understandable, and definitely not from Mars. They could use better quality photos and paper stock however. I frequently consult current and especially back issues (going back to their predecessor days as Stereo Review) when making purchasing decisions. While I don't always agree with their opinions regarding movie and album reviews, they are well-written. A must buy.

Home Theatre has great paper and superb photos. But on the editorial / content side they're definitely not from this planet. I would never buy a product based on any of their reviews - which seem based far too much on unsubstantiatable (is this a word?) opinion and voodoo. Their "lab results" are pitiful. My cocker spaniel could do a better job of reviewing movies. On the positive side they have toned down the arrogant reader putdowns considerably compared to a few years ago. (And a flurry of anti-Canadian opinion a few years ago kinda pissed me off a bit as well.) Nevertheless it's a should buy - because of the print quality / photos.

Stereophile Guide to Home THeatre strikes a pretty good balance between fact and fiction (err...opinion) in their reviews and editorial content. Good quality paper and photos. I have used at least one of their reviews in a major buy decision. A should buy.

Widescreen Review has some very good reviews and technical insight. But it's an unattractive publication that you would never leave in open view on your coffee table. A nice to buy.

Stereophile. What planet is that again? Buy it only if you have a phaser pointed at your head.

All those other specialty stereo / home theatre mags: I can't name them all but I have scanned just about all of them from time to time in my local big-box bookstore. Never saw enough redeeming qualities or content to ever buy one.

Too bad Hi Fidelity, and Audio and AudioScene Canada are no longer around. Especially the latter. Most Americans probably never came across it, but AudioScene Canada had some absolutely incredible regular contributors, including Dr. Floyd Toole (when he was with Canada's National Research Council) and Ian G. Masters (now handling the readers' Q&A section in Sound & Vision).

Just my opinion based on over 30 years of heavy reading / subscribing.

Jeff Mackwood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts