Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11464 - 05/19/03 11:16 PM Pro-Audio Sound Cards
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
Any one use one of these? I have a new computer and plan to use a pro-audio sound card. I like the digital out on this one..

http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/sonicaTheatre_page1.php

#11465 - 05/20/03 10:21 AM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I use the original Sonica with my G4. It's output only and the sound it puts out is pretty nice. The digital out is a nice advantage. The only issue I've had is getting the Dolby Digital out to work properly with their DVD player but I don't think my software is completely up to date. I don't know if I would call it a "pro-audio sound card," but I feel it's a definite improvement over a soundblaster especially if you own a Mac. Hope that helps...

#11466 - 05/20/03 12:33 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Midiman makes some good products (my friend designs for them), and I own some of their stuff, however not their sound cards. The card looks like a good one, however it is not a pro-audio card, but at best a "pro-sumer" one.

If you want a "real" professional card, you should investigate the offerings from Digidesign. The only single card solution they offer is the Audiomedia card, which I have in a "second" system, but it is only two channel. They also make everything up to full blown professional workstations (I have their ProTools "mix" system).

#11467 - 05/20/03 02:41 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Digidesign is certainly the Pro leader in terms of Pro Tools. I would, however, like to hear what Hi-Fi intends to do with his computer before recommending sound cards. I have a feeling that the audiomedia card might be a bit of overkill for his purposes. That said, I would think that the Digi 002 system would be a better intro to Pro Tools for someone who is just building a system.

#11468 - 05/20/03 03:53 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I forgot to mention that the ProTools software is available as a *free* version for PC and mac at their website. It uses the sound card inside the computer, and is good for 8 tracks, and stereo output. It's a good introduction to pro editing software, and will do most anything needed, and the price is right.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited May 20, 2003).]

#11469 - 05/21/03 08:56 AM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I am considering the M-Audio 7.1 Revolution or the Sound Blaster Extigy, the M-Audio is less money, about $99....but the Sound Blaster has inputs for recording about $149

http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/revolution_page1.php

#11470 - 05/21/03 12:26 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I am interested in something like the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for "instrumentation" use. It may be a an affordable way to have a high quality data acquisition board.

I would like to use one as a souce of high quality test signals for testing/setting up audio systems. The 192KHz playback sampling rate is a big plus for me, as is the 96KHz record sampling rate to look at the output of amplifiers, etc.

The Audigy 2 has looked interesting, but anything with the name "Sound Blaster" has, in my book, a handicap in regards to high quality audio.

Too bad the windows version of pro-tools is only available for W98/Me. It looks interesting.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts