Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#11364 - 05/18/03 12:08 PM Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
opieie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tulsa, OK.
Hello, I am about to buy a new or used AV processor and have narrowed it down to the Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1 or Outlaw 950, I would like some feedback from all of you on these three products, my usage will be 80% movies and 20% music, please let me know what you guys think. Prices for the Krell and the Lexicon are almost the same and the Outlaw is about $650.00 less than the others, 5.1 vs. 7.1 is not a big factor for me just the absolute best in sound quaility, the one thing that concerns me about the Krell is that I am by nature a tweaker which you can't do much with the Krell which I could live without if the sound quality was there, also ease of use is very important for my wife, my problem is that I have no way to audition any of these in my home with the exception of the Outlaw via there 30 day trial so I need feedback from people who actually own these products. Thank You for your help.

#11365 - 05/18/03 09:56 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by opieie:
Hello, I am about to buy a new or used AV processor and have narrowed it down to the Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1 or Outlaw 950, I would like some feedback from all of you on these three products, my usage will be 80% movies and 20% music, please let me know what you guys think. Prices for the Krell and the Lexicon are almost the same and the Outlaw is about $650.00 less than the others, 5.1 vs. 7.1 is not a big factor for me just the absolute best in sound quaility, the one thing that concerns me about the Krell is that I am by nature a tweaker which you can't do much with the Krell which I could live without if the sound quality was there, also ease of use is very important for my wife, my problem is that I have no way to audition any of these in my home with the exception of the Outlaw via there 30 day trial so I need feedback from people who actually own these products. Thank You for your help.

Shoot. I just typed a long post that got nuked. Drat drat drat.

In summary: Lexicon MC-1 is absolutely the best pick of the bunch provided that you don't need a 5.1 input for SACD or DVD-A.

I haven't used the Outlaw, but judging by the quality of other Outlaw gear I've used, I imagine it's quite a nice piece. Not as good as the MC-1, perhaps, but pretty darn good just the same.

As for the Krell, avoid like the plague. From what I've read about it, it's a piece of junk that delivers worse performance than a $100 Sony receiver, and sells on name recognition alone. (A lot like Bose.)

Check out the following review: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Processors/Krell/KrellHomeTheater.php

Jeff

#11366 - 05/18/03 10:03 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Here's a quote from the above article:

Quote:

To sum up, the Home Theater Standard II is not my cup of tea. It's lovely to look at, but that beauty is skin deep. The technology on offer and the way it is implemented fall short of that offered by a moderate receiver. The bugs and the lack of features make it impossible for me to recommend it. The Theater Amplifier Standard on the other hand, is in a different league. Although it is very expensive, it is a class above many of its most prominent rivals and it can provide a level of performance that is nothing short of exemplary.

#11367 - 05/19/03 02:27 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
everything that lexicon makes is exceptional. the problem i see is that most everyone says that dvd-a/sacd multi-channel audio isn't important to them...until they hear it. even the least trained ears i've shown the difference to (DSOTM CD vs SACD, for example) are wowed.

with the 950 you get all formats. most important of which, to me, are dvd-a/sacd multi-channel. you even get analog bass management for these formats, built-in, that works. plug-and-play hi-res multi-channel audio of exceptional quality, along with all digital formats, at THE price with 5 years warranty.

the 950 is simply hard to argue against. i think the lex MC-12B is the best pre-pro available today, but it's 10X the price. the MC-1 just doesn't have the capabilities that are required to do multi-channel right, IMO.

try the 950. try dvd-a and/or sacd. you'll never look back.

#11368 - 05/19/03 02:43 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

everything that lexicon makes is exceptional. the problem i see is that most everyone says that dvd-a/sacd multi-channel audio isn't important to them...until they hear it. even the least trained ears i've shown the difference to (DSOTM CD vs SACD, for example) are wowed.

with the 950 you get all formats. most important of which, to me, are dvd-a/sacd multi-channel. you even get analog bass management for these formats, built-in, that works. plug-and-play hi-res multi-channel audio of exceptional quality, along with all digital formats, at THE price with 5 years warranty.

the 950 is simply hard to argue against. i think the lex MC-12B is the best pre-pro available today, but it's 10X the price. the MC-1 just doesn't have the capabilities that are required to do multi-channel right, IMO.

try the 950. try dvd-a and/or sacd. you'll never look back.

I agree with BossOBass that you should give DVD-A and SACD a try. Personally, I've tried it and haven't been overwhelmed, but then again, I own a Lexicon processor (the MC-12) so any improvements over 2 channels of sound directed to 7 speakers through Logic 7 is probably minimal.

However, you should make up your own mind. The MC-1 is an absolutely top-notch performer in almost every single aspect of performance ... except that one of DVD-A/SACD. So the question is, is SACD or DVD-A going to be more important to you than the sonic improvement of the MC-1?

Only you can answer this question. But I recommend that you listen to both before making a decision.

Another point to consider is that the 950 is a current model, whereas Lexicon has announced that there will be no more upgrades for the MC-1. That means that should a new surround format become available, you have no upgrade path with the MC-1. I don't know if you do with the 950, but it's worth looking into.

Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either product. Just don't get the Krell!

Jeff

#11369 - 05/19/03 03:09 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Personally, I've tried it and haven't been overwhelmed, but then again, I own a Lexicon processor (the MC-12) so any improvements over 2 channels of sound directed to 7 speakers through Logic 7 is probably minimal.

This issue is very disc specific. There are a bunch of "multi-channel" discs out there that are no more than 2 channel mixes that have been "transformed" into surround mixes using Logic 7 or another process. There are, however, many other discs out there that were recorded and/or mixed to multi-channel surround sound. To say that you don't need one because you have the other means you're missing out.

If you're going to venture into a sound system investment that takes into account surround sound formats, leaving out SACD and/or DVD-Audio is a mistake. If you're building a system based on two-channel performance, then, by all means, listen and find the processor that gives you the best stereo reproduction for your money.

You say you're a "tweaker." If that's the case, I would go for the processor that features all the most current options. Otherwise, you'll be forever wishing you could try out the "next best thing."

#11370 - 05/19/03 05:08 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Well hang on a second. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the Lexicon is "the next best thing" to the Outlaw. On the contrary, without even having heard the 950, I have no doubt that the Lexicon leaves it in its dust. The Lexicon would be my top pick for sound quality, if for no other reason than its amazing Logic 7 -- a surround processing algorithm that's considered by most to be the best at any price point.

The lack of a DVD-A/SACD 5.1 inputs is a significant handicap ... but only if DVD-A and SACD interests you. Opieie hasn't said whether this is a priority or not.

If it isn't, I'd recommend the MC-1 hands-down. It handles every single surround format worth mentioning, has extremely high-quality DACs and ADCs, and Logic 7 is truly a wonder to listen to. When I owned my MC-1, I almost never listened to anything other than Logic 7.

The Outlaw gives you component video switching, 5.1 inputs for DVD-A and SACD, and is a veritable tweaker's paradise in terms of the number of tuneable parameters.

I don't doubt that the 950's a great piece; everything I've seen of Outlaw's product line has impressed me. However, I think they're simply in two different weight classes.

Jeff

#11371 - 05/19/03 06:02 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Sorry for not stating that clearer. I also have never heard the Lexicon, or the 950 for that matter, but I would be pretty sure the Lexicon would have the better overall sound quality. I'm also pretty sure that the Outlaw sounds great for its price range. I just feel that for someone who is building a current system, factoring out direct inputs, which are what would be used with SACD or DVD-Audio, is not a smart move. That one choice really handicaps the preamp. The ability to bypass processing is a big factor when considering preamps, at least in my experience.

With the "next best thing," I meant the different surround formats that opieie would want to try out. Sorry again for any confusion.

#11372 - 05/19/03 08:21 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Sorry for not stating that clearer. I also have never heard the Lexicon, or the 950 for that matter, but I would be pretty sure the Lexicon would have the better overall sound quality. I'm also pretty sure that the Outlaw sounds great for its price range. I just feel that for someone who is building a current system, factoring out direct inputs, which are what would be used with SACD or DVD-Audio, is not a smart move. That one choice really handicaps the preamp. The ability to bypass processing is a big factor when considering preamps, at least in my experience.

With the "next best thing," I meant the different surround formats that opieie would want to try out. Sorry again for any confusion.

Jason,

Not a problem. I agree that the lack of a 5.1 input is a big limitation on the MC-1. In fact, I suspect that's one of the main things that drove the arrival of the MC-12 (and then later, the MC-8).

I also agree that opieie should factor that in when he makes his decision. If DVD-A or SACD is important to him, then his decision is pretty much made. The 950's the way to go, and I'd be willing to bet a toe (well, maybe not) that the Outlaw will serve him well. I've always been a big advocate of Outlaw gear, even before I bought any.

Outlaw excels at the "bang-for-the-buck" approach, whereas Lexicon excels at the "bang-at-any-price" approach. The fact that I use an Outlaw Model 770 amplifier with my Lexicon MC-12 surround processor should tell you how much I respect both manufacturers.

Jeff

#11373 - 05/19/03 10:55 PM Re: Krell HTS, Lexicon MC-1, Outlaw 950
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
actually...lex excels at pro sound reverb. it's simply the best. they brought that dsp know-how to the consumer division (logic-7 and bass enhance, for ex.). i'm not a fan of matrixed stereo or psychoacoustic tricks. they pale to a good dsd multi-channel disc (try spyro gyra's 'in modern times').

the MC-12 is the best, IMO, because of it's unrivaled I/O configuration.

the MC-1 lacks this advantage. dvd-a/sacd is the future of audio. i personally prefer sacd. re-mixed, 30 year old analog tapes (such as DSOTM) are not my cup-o-tea. i like dsd multi-channel recordings. nothing like them. they are relatively few, but this is just the beginning...more (MANY more) are on the way.

as far as an MC-1 leaving my setup 'in the dust'...well...bring one over...we'll see. you use logic-7, i'll use sacd multi-channel. i seriously doubt i'll be eating any dust.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts