Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11296 - 04/08/03 08:14 PM Re: My Pix
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

I grew up watching the Blacksheep on TV. When I finally saw/heard a Corsair at an airshow I was surprised at how different it sounded. It purred very (relative) quietly, giving no indication that there were 2'000 horses turning the prop. No throaty growl, no low rumble, just a smooth slightly muffled sound of power... nothing like on TV.

#11297 - 04/08/03 08:20 PM Re: My Pix
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I've spent about three years of my life underway(at sea), on aircraft carriers and amphibs(harriers and helos). The sounds the harriers make seems like some of the loudest. EA6B's are pretty loud too. Even several decks down and in spaces inside of other spaces the sound is pretty intense. Believe it or not you get used to it and it rarely even wakes you up when your sleeping. Someone talking nearby is more likely to bother you. On the carriers the sound of the catapult hitting its stops when launching is louder than the jets, when you are down below.

#11298 - 04/08/03 09:43 PM Re: My Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
There's a saying in sound effects circles:

If you're putting sound to a pistol, use the sound of a rifle.

If your putting sound to a rifle, use the sound of a shotgun.

If you're putting sound to a shotgun, use the sound of a cannon!

Realism be damned!

I never got to do an aircraft carrier - I bet that is a real thrill!

#11299 - 04/09/03 12:14 AM Re: My Pix
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I have some pictures of myself shooting a starter's pistol on my balcony. I don't suppose anyone would want to see those, huh?

(I need to get a more exciting career....)

(Excuse me. That should have read: I need to get a career.....)

#11300 - 04/09/03 12:56 AM Re: My Pix
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
"..I found that in recording explosives, Howitzers, tank cannons and such, I got the best and most powerful sound by intentionally recording the sound about 15-20db into digital clipping. Really. This brought up the details of the sound and the clipped wave gave a good "snap" which actually ended up sounding more "real" than real..."

Ah! euphonic coloration. This may explain why toobs are still so popular in some circles. Goad-goad.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#11301 - 04/09/03 01:35 PM Re: My Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I have some pictures of myself shooting a starter's pistol on my balcony

Your other name isnt Saddam is it?

#11302 - 04/09/03 03:49 PM Re: My Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Lena:

Boblinds is Saddam's understudy - Saddam gets to shoot a rifle, but Boblinds is relagated to a starter pistol.

#11303 - 04/09/03 04:59 PM Re: My Pix
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Better than a water pistol, unless it is filled with nitroglycerine.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#11304 - 04/09/03 11:31 PM Re: My Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Boblinds is Saddam's understudy - Saddam gets to shoot a rifle, but Boblinds is relagated to a starter pistol

I thought that was Bagdad Bob. Although that little guy has grown on me. I was playing a game watching him, -everyday I had my ‘favorite’ top pick line. My husband thinks if he’d come to America with that fixed jovial grin, he would earn a fortune doing Sat. Night Liv skits. His interview on Mon on the rooftop, husband was praying for a Cobra to drop down into view, and US soldiers unfurl a “Hi Mom” banner, behind the Inf M’s shoulder.

{Sorry}Boblinds to link Your Esteemed Name in any manner with ‘you know who’. (she saw the joke and took it). Around here they were used to hearing me rant every time I saw that demi-god shooting whatever in the air…he couldn’t even properly control the recoil half the time. One bit of footage, I had seen in the past, - I swear he almost dropped it. (must have been that forbidden alcohol he was drinking). That, - and ‘Shock and awe…. Shock and awe’ got my goat.
Both sides had some ludicrous moments. Not that our ordnance is not shocking……I know (S&A) has a truly catchy ring to it. Just became obnoxious after being repeated by media a hundred times.

Realism be damned Good thing you only have to deal with the audio side of the business, otherwise you’d be ruining perfectly good cereal with glue. (milk’s reputedly too flat).

#11305 - 04/10/03 12:41 AM Re: My Pix
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey, Lena, I forgive that Saddam gag. But I'm compelled to point out that I'm pretty good with an M-80 firecracker too. What could be more Fourth of July American than that?

Bob "Sure, it's patriotic...until someone loses a finger" Lindstrom

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM