Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11166 - 02/26/03 01:49 PM Re: A day in the neighborhood.
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Great save! I'm happy to hear that he had it checked out. Things to look for on an acoustic guitar that has been subjected to excessive heat are loose bindings, joints and a pulled bridge; all because the glue goes soft.

These things are built almost to the point of their own destruction considering the stress they need to withstand. If this guitar was staring into hell and survived, then it's got a good soul. (Yes, Bill loves guitars)

#11167 - 02/26/03 06:54 PM Re: A day in the neighborhood.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
having commissioned a bass that took 15 months to build. Yes, I think he said he waited over a year for this one.

i've played polkas at a polish wedding What music can evoke! Even when your not expecting it. Watching “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” last week, funny funny movie, made me want to find one (a Greek orthodox wedding) to be able to join in the ‘circle’ dance. Listening to the (mandolins?) left you in a foot tapping party sort of mood. I think I’ll look up the CD soundtrack for that movie…. and not something I would have thought on my own to pick up prior to watching (and hearing) it.

If this guitar was staring into hell and survived I wonder if it felt the angels plucking at its strings.
It does appear as if it’s ‘marked’ in some way now. Even if only for the reason that it is the SOLE survivor from the Master Bedr. I was down at the house the day after, they lost everything else contained in that room, not one other single item is salvageable. I’m looking forward to hearing from the HO on the shops opinion of its condition. And have already elicited a promise to hear him play it, when things are back to normal next summer.

#11168 - 02/26/03 10:43 PM Re: A day in the neighborhood.
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
[i]And have already elicited a promise to hear him play it, when things are back to normal next summer.[/QUOTE

i think that's what it's all about. something was telling him that it's to PLAY that he got it. very cool that you were the one to point that out. let me know how it sounds.

#11169 - 02/26/03 11:19 PM Re: A day in the neighborhood.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
“I co-founded D'Leco Acoustic Instruments, a small guitar company in Oklahoma City where James Dale, a good friend and fantastic luthier (who by the way continues to build) and myself produced handcrafted arch top guitars. For me, it was the highlight of my career as a guitarist. During our six and one half years as business partners we managed to achieve an impressive list of accomplishments. Our small company came to represent the estate of Charlie Christian, one of the greatest pioneers of the electric guitar. My involvement placed me in a position to negotiate deals with two world renowned guitar manufacturers, Samick Musical Instruments in Korea and American manufacturer, Gibson Guitars to produce a line of expensive, high end collector's edition guitars as a tribute to the legendary Charlie Christian. I still play one of these models today.” From: http://www.giglogic.com/main.html

For Dollarbill (who asked) I had the ‘Deal’ remembered incorrectly. We took the couple to dinner tonight. It was James Dale.
I remember seeing the D’Leco in script on the neck, and he mentioned Dale built this one himself, evidently all the D’Leco’s were not made by Dale. I saw something on a D’Leco collaboration being one of the several pieces in the Smithsonian “Blue Guitar ” commission, - which collection no longer resides at the Smithsonian but is now owned by a private collector. The D’Leco blue in that collection was listed as perhaps needing more volume in the pickup. I tried to pull up the D’Leco Co., and could not find much on it. (I feel 'attached' in a wierd way to this guitar now. ). It may already be a defunct enterprise. Regardless it’s a beautiful piece…will try to get pics someday, if I ever figure out how to post them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM