Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11032 - 02/16/03 04:30 PM soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
soundhound, just looked at your page (s), like wow, dude. i used to be signed up at 'webshots' but let it lapse (i'm pretty much out of the country most of the last 15 years, anyway). really liked your 'real bike',i have one similar but last summer i put a padlock on it before going to afghanistan...and of course, i can't find the key! woulda got a coded lock but i'd forget that too. i've gotta go back and look at ur HT...only glimpsed it, sorry...you gotta lot of stuff to view there.
i'll give out my em to you if u care for it...it'll only be good for 2 more weeks:
tommy.higginbotham@turner.com
is no problemo if anyone else wishes to e me there. no wife, no kids, not a single thing to do...cept listen to brubeck and watch IFC for a while...sell the house, disappear.
hey, i really liked the pic of the first bike. can't remember what it was...realtor just left a few minutes ago. seems i may make enough to look at a few more toys for me retirement...god knows i can't do it with my 401 anymore!

------------------
t higg

#11033 - 02/16/03 04:37 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Thanks! If you're ever on that 'glide (I assume that's what you have) riding out west, em me soundhound@earthlink.net

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11034 - 02/16/03 04:53 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

nahh, got a 1200xlh for now...had ta have an 100th anniversary model...and i spend so much time on the road...the 1200 fills the bill for now. gotta get me assets together and live on what i have. still got a younger daughter in college. i'm lookin at maybe later gettin a softtail dressed out. used ones in the south...if ya know where ta go and who ta talk to...are so mch cheaper here. not in atlanta..or georgia but in alabamee or missipp. even NC...lotsa bikers w/ no money...sad thing, that. but somebodies gotta save em. i wuz one o the 'lucky' ones (no such thing as 'luck). i just worked me a---se off for 35 yrs. and am reapin wut i sowed. stuck it out here in the poor ol south n took what ever came me way. not rich, by any means, but i can now live on what i have...been doing that anyway.
anyone else with a comment on that?
i really really like this outlaw site! i hope they don't mind when we go astray...it's a rainy day in georgia...must be rainin all over the world.

#11035 - 02/16/03 05:13 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

back to audio. just got off ur HT site! oh, like wow! i feel totally suppressed! funny thing, though...i was noticing the various objects round the room ...open reel 2 inch..little give aways for me. then i read the little pop ups u put in there...love that. 1st...ah ha, a td-125! and then..after the digi mastering eq., there it was...my board...soundcraft 24 track! i do love their boards too. brits only problem is the punch-in buttons...eg: punch in and you remove something...punch out...and you put it in. whut wuz they thinking. i just helped install cnn's new london bureau last year and we went totally digi...boy the problems that caused w/ the editors. mind you, they're very good worker bees, but we've had em working on antiquated stuff since the early 80's. i put together a little seminar to go over it all...a lotta moanin n groanin...but now..they wouldn't go back. being an analoque person meself, i've gotta say...many of em still bypass most of the digi stuff and do packages in analoque. there's stuff that'll never replace the master's voice. i do like the digi user-friendly interfacing...but ya just can't replace the warmth and meat of top notch analogue gear. ok, i'm rambling...perhaps i should go to ur website, now that i have it...but i think this is closer to forum stuff..so i'll stay here. later i wanta go to your music site. if'n yee git uh chance...go to flatwatch.com. a friend o mine...he's in Qatar (not cutter as they say on my news channel..but Ka-tar, as it should be pronounced)put that site up...he has an analoque studio w/ digital mastering n such.
quite a musician...plays everything..writes,mixes,edits..and stamps out the cd's w/ a friend in...ashville.
need more cognac...be rat back

------------------
t higg

#11036 - 02/16/03 05:31 PM Re: soundhound site
charlie Offline
Desperado

This is an outstanding site. The folks here are pretty much self policed (except when they locked SH in Mexican jail) and we can actually disagree and stay civil. What a concept, eh?

I think the fact that everyone is pretty polite really promotes some great exchange of ideas and thoughts. No undue fear of severe verbal bruising.

Try that on most other forums, where it seems like the participants are taking a break from the human race.

#11037 - 02/16/03 05:35 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

gotta agree w charlie. because of me job i don't get to do this much. i have tried several sites in the past...used to get AOL (angels of lucifier) free, cause they own us. what a mess of a good thing gone bad! no wonder our stock fell 3 million points in the last 3 yrs.(well, close...from about $95 to $12 bucks!yikes)
whut's yer system, charlie? (and let's not get into bikes unless...it happens again)

------------------
t higg

#11038 - 02/16/03 06:38 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
back to audio......

Yeah, I sit on both sides of the fence. I do my work in digital, but enjoy the analog stuff, especially seeing all those toobs glowing in the dark

This is a good site, off the beaten path, and civil - yeah, except for that run-in with the Mexican Police

So stick around, and enjoy!

#11039 - 02/16/03 07:39 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

yeh, those glowin valves are just simply worth it. do ya know why the chinese and russians still use valves? ok, here's why. the first 'strike' encompasses an exploding nuclear warhead some distance up in the sky,how high depends on the strength of the 'device' used. once set off, it disables any silicon based device. ergo, all computerized systems...missile co-ords and the like...are simply erased from the system. if one uses 'valves', nothing is disrupted...all systems function. heck, we knew that in the 50's but choose to go 'modern'. the first russian plane 'we' brought down, a mig-20 or so...had valves in its radar defence and other primary systems...the plane would 'function' in a nuclear weather atmosphere. scared the h--l out of our 'advanced' system planners. well, we certainly soon straightened those guys out, didn't we? today we can still get tesla tubes,chinese 6550's,etc. when they drop the big one...my valve system in the bedroom w/ my non-chip turntable (pro-ject one) will still play tunes...even if i'm a post-toasty. by-the-by, r you still writing from that little room in mexico? just give the tijuana boys a few quid n they might let ya go!

------------------
t higg

#11040 - 02/16/03 08:07 PM Re: soundhound site
charlie Offline
Desperado

I've had some decent 2 channel stuff in the past; Some better Sony, David Hafler, Carver, DynaCo(ST70), etc., nothing too exotic though. I went with the 1050 to get my feet wet in multi-channel, I was too busy for a while to stay up to speed, plus there's nothing like first hand experience. As for speakers, I've used Bose, Infinity, Klipsch, Advent, JBL, maybe a few more, but I always ended up with DIY projects. I just love to build things, maybe why I like writing software so much.

Nice you could ease back a bit, do what you want. And don't worry about the bikes - my Dad loves Harleys too, and I still talk to him without fighting

In the end it's what makes you happy not the highest tech, fastest, leakiest or whatever.

#11041 - 02/16/03 09:07 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
yeh, those glowin valves are just simply worth it. do ya know why the chinese and russians still use valves?

Yep, isn't it ironic that you can still purchase tubes for a 1950s tube amplifier, yet you can't get some transistors for something built in 1980? Progress... Most of the tubes I buy are from the former eastern bloc countries. I wonder if the U.S. military still uses tubes for their "hardened" equipment? The amp that I use for my high frequency horns is a single ended triode using a 300B Western Electric tube designed in 1933 (!), and has a thunderous five watts output. But with my Altec horns, with their 106db/watt efficiency, they will bleed my ears before they need even a fraction of that 5 watts. I used to work for Altec Lansing as a Test Engineer when they were in Anaheim, and I had a great time there. A piece of history.

Oh, the Mexico thing.....well, seems I was posting copywrighted material here to demonstrate the effects of various bit-depths and dither, and their audibility. So Outlaw chased me, and my mule Josie all the way down to Tijuana and put me in the slammer......virtually, of course! I needed a pitcher of non-virtual margaritas (the official Outlaw Saloon beverage) to recover from that one!!

P.S. Have you ever ridden Route 66 for any distance on your bike? I've made it from L.A. to New Mexico but ran out of time......It's really beautiful from the California border to Kingman, AZ.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 16, 2003).]

#11042 - 02/16/03 09:18 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:

...i hope they don't mind when we go astray...it's a rainy day in georgia...must be rainin all over the world.

Nah....This seems to be one site where they don't mind where the topic of conversation wanders. And yes, it's been raining like crazy here, and it's getting me itchy to get out and ride. Car people (cagers) generally don't get the logic of that urge

#11043 - 02/18/03 10:14 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

so, SH where was the site of your wreck story? i had a good one for that. '94 just back from france...went to me oldest daughters for some gab,some music, and a movie. i'm allergic to animals and she has 2 inside..took some proscription stuff and set off on me lil 883. stayed round a few hours...no alcohol..she was out and it was sunday in the bible belt. 11pm (bad pills i learned later)..55mph...blacked out on the sportster in a curve...back roads 30 miles outside atlanta. woke up in a ditch. bike still breathing behind me..tried to get up...passed out...hours went by...woke up with emergency guys pokin tubes down my throat...po-leece asking if i'd been drinking..ER guys screamin at cops to lay off...45minutes to hospital...all black for days...later i learn they tagged me toe. sending me to the ice house...i woke up tho! scarred the pee outta some nice old ladies in white. foot had turned round in my boot...no left knee cap...gone...handle bars thru the chest...knuckles shorn apart by the pavement,chin split open...best rest i've had in 40 years, that nite (nites?).
11 bikes, 2 wrecks...i guess that's the first one that i was declared dead in tho. music never sounded better than today!
(La Kinks: 'living on a thin line': "but does it really matter much, does it ever really matter.. does it ever really matter at all...living on a thin line!")

#11044 - 02/18/03 10:25 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Wow, I can't say I've had the experience of being declaired dead! I was just in a housing tract when I had my close encounter. I take corners very seriously now I didn't feel the accident at all - actually I remember it felt sort of like "floating" into some bed before I blacked out. However, it hurt like hell when they poured antiseptic into my open cuts at the hospital. I think that in itself is a good reason not to crash. YMMV.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11045 - 02/18/03 11:33 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

i didn't really know till days later 'nd a nurse told me bout it. said i freaked a bunch o doctors n staff out. (they're coming to take me away..ha ha)

#11046 - 02/18/03 11:39 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

So SH, you got a tin foot wiiide scream?
question: how darn far back do you have to sit?
and i agree, durple just won't do. what did she suggest? i need a mar-garetta.
it was a royal confetti perchance.

#11047 - 02/18/03 11:49 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

My seat is 15 feet from the screen. The projector is an LCD (Sony VPL 400Q) that has a built in line doubler so there are no scan lines. Actually the picture looks extremely good, especially anamorphic DVDs. I use component on DVD and S-video on satellite, VHS and laserdisc. There is a noticable drop off in sharpness when I use S-video for the DVD player - not huge, but definately noticable.

Burple: a cross between blue and purple. Very cleaver, those paint guys. There's "ghost" graphics under the paint that you can see in the pictures, but don't show up as much in darker lighting situations.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11048 - 02/19/03 12:07 AM Re: soundhound site
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
SH, since this is the SH site, may I ask, I [attempted] to pick up your SM tonight after 2 blue margaritas at Blue Mesa which happens to be conveniently next door to B&N’s. Since (2) is a LARGE # for me. I was in no condition to figure if what I purchased is truly yours.

As long as I don’t break seal, I can keep looking if it’s not. Front cover is just SM with a red prism through the SM chest logo. Back cover….I do not see (garrett) which I had pegged as you, (or did I mix that up?) under Music Ed.listed in credits. But it does start with back cover parg. “Soaring even higher in a state-of-art digital transfer from restored elements”, and the sales person stated this copy was produced (or purchased) in May 2001 looking it up on her PC.

Should I open it?

PS: Thigg did you hear the angels sing (the tunnel), or just go……”what day is it?”

PS: I am going to be in BIG Trouble if I keep hanging out here. Gonks' “Footfall” netted me a spree, buying that and “Mote in God’s Eye” and “Neuromancer” on the same outing which led to: no workie for 24 while I disappeared into them….and tonight cont. on with a much more expensive purchase of one SM movie, one CD (for the heck) and 2 books (which were pricey) of Stephen Hawking's, because Gonk got me started with ‘Footfall’ back onto one of my neglected interests.

You are all a very bad influence.

#11049 - 02/19/03 12:09 AM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

let's see...i'm 19 feet from my screen now...7 feet from the ...seat. okay, you've got an imax there. it's 70 across and one seats about...forget ...forget...still adds up; you've got an imax perspective there. where's my cubans?
i will one-day go a little farthur into that realm. after several decades in tv tho...well ...i jst like the music.

#11050 - 02/19/03 01:03 AM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

SLL, well i guess i get door nmbr 2. (nee-ban). there's a story behind that story. hey, i couldn't keep up with any of of those places. last time i was in dallas...dallas alice..well i've been from tuchem to dallas traveled the back roads so i wouldn't get weighed. & if you'll give me weed wine &...oh, never mind. i thought this was vrb-7601-3421.
there's nothing out there ...but what you want it to be.

#11051 - 02/19/03 01:28 AM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Lena:

As far as I know, they only made one DVD version of the Superman movie. In any event, the number "1013" is on the spine of the DVD in small letters. And yes, the name's right. I suggest you go to the very end of the movie (I think there's a seperate chapter for the restoration credits) and watch. That's the best part of the movie, after all

The "score only" tracks that play along with the movie and the bonus 5.0 tracks on side two were all mixed in my room. The music soundtrack that plays with the sound effects and dialog were mixed on the dubbing stage. They sound different than my mix, but mine sounds more like the master tape sounded, since I did less equalization and such.

You only had TWO margaritas? I think we're dealing with a lightweight here

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 19, 2003).]

#11052 - 02/19/03 02:01 AM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
you've got an imax perspective there.

Yeah, it's pretty close to that

#11053 - 02/19/03 02:20 AM Re: soundhound site
Desperado

SH: 1013" it is ..good to go. Will try to play the ‘important’ parts if it is quiet tomorrow,….it unexpectedly was not today, but that can happen any given.

dealing with a lightweight” fraid so, but best I remain so. Thigg did you beat me to under the table tonight?
Mine are always combo with Tex-Mex, I fear I am not a true margerita-ville-ite!

#11054 - 02/19/03 07:59 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

SLL, yeh, lordy..i do believe so. i woke up on the couch at 830am...today show blarin from the system..got up to do the manual thing..no time to look for the remote..and then see my table going round and round with country joe trying to finish 'Pictures of Susan'. musta changed the remote in the middle of the nite to 'sat'. oh yeh...i'm still supposed to be at work...an hour ago.
as K. vonnegut would say,"I LAUGHED like Hell". so i em'd work on the blackberry..sometimes gadgets i hate,ain't so bad...that i'd be in reallll soon. got there by break time.
but tonite i swear i won't touch the cognac...besides i have vodka.
and on it goes

#11055 - 02/19/03 08:10 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:

Mine are always combo with Tex-Mex...

Mine are too - but you have to work your way up to a pitcher ! (just please have the hubby drive - females are in short supply out here in the badlands )

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11056 - 02/20/03 01:18 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

so SLL, where did you go? i can't find you in here. washing windows? you seem to know to much to stay at that. we have techs at cnn that wouldn't be able to keep up with you. course, our dallas bureau...well, it does have a few good people there, i think. things have changed so much here i don't know who's there. i and a guy from la la land re-did that bureau about 10 years ago. got free tickets to willie & neal, too. did several remotes there (perot & such). there's a place downtown..in that touristy area...a second story old brick jewelry or diamond store. my last name is spelled out in brick or something across that building...see me, wear diamonds...you've got a friend. someday i'm going there and walk in and see if we're blood ... mst be somewhere back..anyone w/ my name is usually kin. if you wanta check out tv work, go by our bureau downtown. tell em a field engineer told you to...his name would be...tommy higginbotham. the satellite/truck engineer is Ray, a really nice guy from a small town in texas. Ed is the bureau chief/reporter, he is knew so he doesn't know me. Ray does, tho.

#11057 - 02/20/03 04:10 PM Re: soundhound site
Desperado

where did you go? present and accounted for, just erratic. (should be working, but I pop in here 100 DSL quick-clicks a day, if I start to reply, many interruptions, - I can begin one sentence of a reply and not be able to come back to it for hours. In fact I need to hunker down for a few today, stop letting myself sidetrack, and get a chunk of orders done.
….what a compliment……anyone could keep up with me….I’m just a pesky fringe learner, trying to understand…..And not having the time to devote this fascinating subject deserves…..although I’d enrage some Women libbers…..I still swear that little boys come equipped with little blue electronic/engineering/electrical/plumbing handbooks stashed in their diapers. Which leaves little girls trying to ‘grasp’ all parameters involved at a ‘late false start’ disadvantage. You should not mention the Dallas bureau, its just like me to stick my head in where I don’t belong…not trained….no pertinent business to attend to at that location……..just curious……(how do it all - get done).

have to work your way up to a pitcher I don’t think so… my bodyweight to intake ratio would prob elicit alcohol poisoning. Emergency room visits dampen an evening, Believe me, I’m plenty silly enough after (2) you would not want to see me any further uninhibited than that.

#11058 - 02/21/03 07:25 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

you is so funneee! SLL...ok, get seronuhmus. vhat es yore (in rising voice)...sees tum!?

#11059 - 02/23/03 12:14 AM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

SLL: quote"...- I can begin one sentence of a reply and not be able to come back to it for hours.
yeh, i wish i had ur dsl. i'm in the boonies..they put 'wide band' down my street last year...but i was on prime star and i don't know if cable carries IFC or not. they have comedy central but i gotta have both.
i also lose messages i'm writin, like for here, when someone tries to fax the none existant machine my ex ...girlfriend used for her business. it just burps me off...and the numbers i can put in to stop that...don't work here. and on it goes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts