Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#11016 - 02/22/03 04:57 PM Re: A very interesting comparason
charlie Offline
Desperado

It is my (possibly flawed) understanding that the AC-3 codec tops out at 640 kbps. Whether this is a real limitation or a limit placed on some arbitrary attribute, like staying within a certain decoder bandwidth/decoding MIPS power window I have no idea.

Even if the latter, yes, you're probably right, AC-4 won't see light of day until the market demands if history is any indicator.

#11017 - 02/22/03 06:54 PM Re: A very interesting comparason
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
wow, was supposed to rain and turned out a nice day...took Odessius out & ran into a coupla HOG guys n' so we rode a while...felt realy good!
hey, i went a few years ago to see what-his-name, you know, the other half of Pink F. outside arena...fairly large. they had a new surround P.A. concert was very long,covering every darn album they made. my favorite being 'animals' and oh my god! it was the perfect music for all their stuff. when DSOTM started...well...i think everyone wanted to just cry..they did quite a bit of it...even my least favorite..'money' was really served up well by the system...and it was totally clean!
when the dogs started 'barkin' during 'animals'...they went from stage left, gradually shifting to the left...the sheep came in from the rear n over our heads to the front! course when they did the other album...'we don't need no education'...all the skin heads appeared from nowhere...i don't think they understood whut that album's about.

#11018 - 02/22/03 07:19 PM Re: A very interesting comparason
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
SH: "I'm afraid that until motion picture soundtracks are delivered on some future format uncompressed, we are going to have to live with less than optimum (to put it mildly!) sound."
hey, why don't they widen the film a teensie bit and...modulate 5 or more channels of audio...with...light! whut a novel and new idea for me.
ya know, it's always so...weird (?) to hear the original of any format...and then hearing it back after one puts it through the 'washin' machine. especially if what you've done is record somebody live. not that i feel bad after that, exactly opposite..like havin a baby kinda. still...you always end up wishing everyone heard it like you! (digital or analogue) analogue gets muddy if ya layer it to thick and digital simply ...changes it...for ever.
the 96/24 is really good,tho. who earlier said they had or heard some 192/24? i'd like to hear that!

#11019 - 02/22/03 07:29 PM Re: A very interesting comparason
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
.....why don't they widen the film a teensie bit and...modulate 5 or more channels of audio...with...light! whut a novel and new idea for me.

Or maybe coat the edge of the film with magnetic oxide and record the soundtrack right there? Nah.......

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11020 - 02/22/03 09:19 PM Re: A very interesting comparason
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Bosso,

I think we already discussed this but it bears repeating. Fragile is fanstastic! Close to the Edge is next. There is supposedly a Denon univeral player coming out soon that bears a look. I'm a casual Spyro Gyra fan so thanks for the tip on the multichannel release. Who's on the bass?

#11021 - 02/23/03 12:37 AM Re: A very interesting comparason
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by DollarBill:
Bosso,

I think we already discussed this but it bears repeating. Fragile is fanstastic! Close to the Edge is next. There is supposedly a Denon univeral player coming out soon that bears a look. I'm a casual Spyro Gyra fan so thanks for the tip on the multichannel release. Who's on the bass?

OK... ya got me...i'm lookin' into the denon (dv 2900?). i just GOTTA hear 'heart o the sunrise'!

scot ambush plays azola basses (sounds like fretless throughout). there's a mention of moses graphite, too. the bass is mixed perfectly and he plays some really good lines. of course, i'm using the low freq scheme i've devised (which, hopefully i'll be able to elaborate on soon) so it's bass player's heaven for me.

ya just couldn't let go of the yes dig, could ya? i just bought a copy. c'mon denon....SHIP.

#11022 - 02/23/03 12:59 AM Re: A very interesting comparason
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE] ...I'd rather have an analog multi-channel preamp (not really a processor at that point) and full range speakers all around.

i began discrete multi-channel life as a fan of the ITU standard, but have since changed my mind.

i've found that, in tests, the room mode excitment of 7 low freq drivers is a mightmare. placement is fixed with 5 full range cabinets, so moving them is not an option.

soon, i can detail the evolution of the process to it's current point. i'd certainly appreciate your comments. BTW, what player are you using?

#11023 - 02/23/03 07:11 AM Re: A very interesting comparason
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:
i just GOTTA hear 'heart o the sunrise'!

ya just couldn't let go of the yes dig, could ya? i just bought a copy. c'mon denon....SHIP.

Oh man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that to you. Maybe I'll pickup Spyro and we'll be even.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM