Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10915 - 02/02/03 12:17 AM Bi-Amping question...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Ok gents...got a question for those knowledgeable types out there...

I'm eventually looking at the 950/770 combo. However right now I'm running an Integra 6.3 with a paradigm monitor setup (cc370, M-11 mains, M-3 surrounds) My question is this: Can I use two 200's to bi-amp my mains by having the reciever run the "high" drivers, and the 200's running the bass drivers in the 11's. (Yes the 11's are bi-wireable/bi-ampable). The reciever is rated at 100w/ch. The 11's are rated for 15/250w and have a rating of 94db.

Any thoughts? I've read on a few sites that reccomend against using a combination of solid state and tube amps, but would the differance of 100wpc for the mids/highs and 200wpc for the bass drivers create some sort of funky responses in my speakers due to a mismatch in the amplification?

The reason why I ask is I seem to be nickle and diming my way up to seperates. I figured the two 200's would be a good start, with a 755 if I like the sound of seperates, and a pre last once I figure it's worth the extra 2k for a B&K, or the 3k for an Anthem.

Decisions...decisions...decisions.

The bottom line is I have some cash, and I'm itching to try an upgrade without dropping it all at once...because that would mean I'ld have to wait a few more months...and who wants to do that .

Jason

#10916 - 02/02/03 07:19 AM Re: Bi-Amping question...
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Jason,

I can't speak to the tubes vs solid state but the power scheme you propose is good. You definitely want more power on the bass.

I'm familiar with this from running the PA for my band, not through HT experience. My question back to you is, what do you use for a crossover or do you send full range signal to both drivers?

#10917 - 02/02/03 11:20 AM Re: Bi-Amping question...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Did somebody say TOOBS?

The setup is actually very good having a solid state amp for the low frequencies, which needs a good damping factor, and a tube amp for the highs which can use the transparent midrange those amps provide.

The only thing I would watch out for is that if you are truly doing 'passive bi-amping' by keeping the speaker's internal crossover, the amplifier's gains must be the same or the high-low frequency balance will get altered. If the amps (or one of them) have input gain pots, this is not a problem. Also be aware of phase between the two amps. Listen around the crossover frequency area and change one of the amp's speaker connections for the smoothest response.

#10918 - 02/02/03 03:27 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
I think to answer your question directly, no, because the 200's don't have level adjustments on the inputs so you can equalize the power differential of the Integra to the 200's. Couple this with any phase delay that might occur and you could end up with signals that are out of phase and over powered on the lows. Of course, there are devices that can phase correct and level set the input for you, but they will not work in these set up because if you needed to delay the signal, it would be the one your powering off the Integras and since the signal path is longer thru the 200, you need to delay the Integra path.

The phase may not even be apparent, but the signal level adjustment I would bet you will notice and want to be able to adjust. Your better off either finding a way to adjust the level of this signal and try it out that way. With the return policy on the 200's, give it a shot, your only out the shipping costs to send it back.

#10919 - 02/02/03 03:56 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Well if it were me, I would use the 200's to power my mains full range and use the lesser powered amps on your center and surrounds. oh yeah, that is what I am doing.

Biamping can become very frustrating when you have to deal with matching levels and delays.

#10920 - 02/02/03 04:10 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would concur with morphsci -- bi-amping with different amps for low freq and high freq has the potential to be a real headache. A pair of 200's would drive your Monitor 11's with power to spare (I'm driving a pair of Studio 60's bi-wired to a Model 750 amp -- 165W each gives them all they've ever needed for me). A 755 later would round things out nicely.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#10921 - 02/02/03 05:56 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I don't agree this setup being too difficult or impractical.....the only thing to be aware of is the possible level difference between the two amps, but as I said, if one of the amps has input level controls, they can be made equal in level. If both amps lack input level controls, it's always possible to add one to one of the amps. As for phase, they will be either in phase or out of phase with each other. This can be remedied by simply swapping the wires around on one of the amp's speaker connections. There is no "delay" between the differing amp's circuits that is of any practical significance. The difference between 100 watts and 200 watts is only 3db, which is actually very little in audible terms. Having a more powerful amp for the lows than the highs is actually standard practice.

One of the beauties of bi-amping is exactly that ability to match the best amplifier for the job to it's respective frequency range.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 02, 2003).]

#10922 - 02/02/03 06:44 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Well...

By the sounds of it the smart thing to do is get a pair of 200's and start tinkering. Either way (bi-amping...or just running the 11's with the 200's as opposed to the Integra) it seems that the 200's may be an interesting addition to my system.

Thanks for your advice...and if anyone else has anything to add I would certainly appriciate it.

Jason

#10923 - 02/02/03 07:18 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
charlie Offline
Desperado

IMO bi amping w/out benefit of an external crossover will generally be pretty pointless. There is a thread in the 1050 zone (IIRC) on this as well.

#10924 - 02/02/03 07:26 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Charlie:

I agree with you on this, but using two different amplifiers of different topologies such as SS and tube should yield at least some benefit. I do think using two identical amplifiers to do passive bi-amping is very pointless, only adding complexity with no benefit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM