Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#10945 - 02/08/03 06:57 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
What I'm using is strictly the reciever as a reciever. I want to "work into" seperates, and thought I'ld dabble into going into seperate amps for my mains, and using the reciever for the center/surrounds.

But then I started wondering if I could use the Reciever to run the highs, and the 200 to run the bass drivers. A poor mans solution to testing out the merits of bi-amping? A crazy mans idea for creating a lot of headaches? that's the question I'm trying to solve.

So...here's what was running through my mind:

--------------------------
.....|
.....|
--------------------------

That's the question. I'm begining to assume that it's just smarter to run each apeaker off of the M200's.

Jason

[This message has been edited by fmcorps (edited February 08, 2003).]

#10946 - 02/08/03 07:09 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
What you have can still be done, but you would need to have "pre-out" and "power section in" jacks on your receiver: a loop through arrangement in other words. This is in case you need to lower the level of only the receiver's power amp section relative to the 200. In any event if your receiver does have the power amp input jacks also, you would "Y" the "preamp out" jacks to both the input of the receiver's power amp section and the input to the 200. You would then just need to insert the outboard volume control into the line of whichever power amplifier needs to be turned down in order to match the levels between the highs and lows. This would be done at the "Y" jack if you need to insert it into the Integra's power amp line, or at the input jack of the 200 if that amplifier needs to be lowered in level.

This is really not nearly as complicated as it sounds in writing

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 08, 2003).]

#10947 - 02/08/03 07:18 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Well it looks like I'll just have to go with either a straight run, or bi-wiring my speakers, because I'm fairly certain that my reciever isn't that sofisticated.

Oh well...still looks like I can fidget with things...

Jason

#10948 - 02/08/03 11:36 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Fmcorps,

Yup! to what soundhound said. You would need preamp out AND poweramp in jacks so that you could insert a high pass circuit in order for you to (optimally) use your receiver's power amps stage as an amp for the highrange section of your speakers.

You could still allow the the reciver's amp to get a full range signal and rely solely on the passive speaker crossover. This will mean that the receiver's amp will be somewhat wasting itself amplifying low frequency signals that will not reach the speaker drivers.

An alternative is to have someone modify the receiver to:

1) Add or modify the value of a signal coupling capacitor so that the receivers amp is not getting unwanted low frequency signal.

or

2) Break the connection between the preamp and power amp stages and add power amp input connectors on the back of the receiver chassis.

Either of these actions will void any warranty.

Paul

#10949 - 02/09/03 05:39 PM Re: Bi-Amping question...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Paul,

I dont want to modify the reciever itself, as I was hoping to sell it when I decide to make the move into the realm of seperates (which I'm hoping to do within a year or two.)

So it looks like i'l have to dabble with external amplification, but leave bi-amplification alone for a little while.

Oh well. It should still be an interesting time.

Jason

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM