Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10901 - 01/27/03 02:45 PM Budget System - Need advice
kuhllax24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Alright, I've been a longtime fan of the Outlaw Saloon, and have learned a lot about A/V equipment from the forum since I first took an interest in the field. I'm about to take my first plunge into HiFi gear, and wanted to get last minute advice from y'all, whose expertise in A/V equipment is almost unparalleled in the internet. I'm on a tight budget, and basically am trying to create the audio system with the best bang for your buck. Currently, I'm not that interested in video. Here's what I want to get:

The Cambridge Audio 500SE CD-Player - $300 (used from Audiogon)

One pair of Klipsch SB3 bookshelf speakers ($300 a pair)

Wave Line 1 tube preamp from Antique Sound Labs ($199)

Two Wave AV-8 monoblock tube amplifiers from Antique Sound Labs, rated at 10W. ($99/amp)

Outlaw Copper interconnects (how many do I need? One pair to connect the CD player to pre-amp, and two pair to connect the pre-amp to the two amps, right? So, I'll need three pair of interconnects?)

Auricaps to replace capacitators in pre-amp and amps ($25).

I need a highly efficient speaker for the weak amps, and I don't think anything's more efficient than the Horn speakers from Klipsch. I wanted a high quality CD player with 24/192 upsampling, and the Cambridge is the cheapest one. I've been interested in tube amps for the high quality, and you can't beat the price of the ASL amps. Let me know what you all think before I purchase the equipment...and I'm estatic about throwing out my Aiwa system and getting a HiFi system.

Dan

#10902 - 01/27/03 03:00 PM Re: Budget System - Need advice
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
If you haven't already done so, you might take a look at this thread:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000729.html

There is a long discussion of tubes and horns.

#10903 - 01/27/03 03:02 PM Re: Budget System - Need advice
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You can cut one set of interconnects out of that -- one pair from the CD player to the pre-amp and one pair from the pre-amp to the monoblocks is all you need.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#10904 - 01/28/03 04:51 PM Re: Budget System - Need advice
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The Auricaps will cost more than $25, but won't bust your budget. I don't know how many are needed. You must have seen the same article on MSNBC (I think). It described the same system.

The Wave8 gets good reviews for a $200/pair amp. I've seen it but haven't heard it. I myself have built a Bottlehead Foreplay pre-amp, which costs all of $149 as a kit. Easy to build and sounds great. It gives a tube sound to an otherwise solid-state system. I would buy Wave8s myself but my speakers are very inefficient. The Outlaw cables are a steal, buy 3 pair even though you only need 2 and get the price break. The third pair will get used eventually.

#10905 - 02/22/03 07:35 PM Re: Budget System - Need advice
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
sounds like a nice system. i have only one suggestion. i agonized and a/b'd for years before getting dvd...i like movies but am mostly on earth for audio. i needed one that would sound as good at music as my old audio alchemy and outboard DAC. i also wanted either/or dvd-a and sacd. i also didn't wanta spend to much. found a new toshiba DVD/DVD-A for 200 bucks. the alchemy is now in my bedroom with a lotta valves and a pro-ject table...over some modded LS3/5a's. (those kef drivers are expensive when ya blow em...and very inefficent and ya shouldn't push em to hard. found some..i forget the name, darn it. anyway...less than half the price, 5 more db of effecency and will play way past the 50 watt limits they once had. that's also another good idea. years ago i decided i wanted the SL6 or someteen similar. called every dealer in atlanta to see what they had...used. found these at a place that just couldn't sell em (every one wanted the plastic jbl's..(no letters from jbl people, please..they do make some good stuff) got the Rogers for 400 bucks with full warrenty...at the time they cost 1000 bucks,new. they are still a beautiful speaker to listen thru (ok, they got a mid range hump..i like it. the paradigm is a wonderful speaker and the prices are rediculus for such a nice speaker...10 watts won't make em rock n roll tho. stick with the klipsh..arkansas needs the money.

------------------
t higg

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts