Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10895 - 01/27/03 01:33 PM Tivo vs ReplayTV
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Does anyone have any experience with these PVR products? I picked up a ReplayTV unit yesterday on an impulse buy, but got home and it was missing the part that allowed it to control the cable box (major frustration). So now that I've got to take it back I was wondering if I should exchange it or just return it? I've heard good things online about these products but don't actually know anyone personally who uses them.
Anyone here have any advice?

#10896 - 01/27/03 04:47 PM Re: Tivo vs ReplayTV
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Both of these PVR work exceedingly well. I've owned both. They fundamentally have the same feature set -- with a handful of differences here and there. I think you'd be happy with either one.

I characterize the difference between them in terms of the interface. The ReplayTV feels more like it was designed by computer interface designers: very thorough with lots of search options.

TiVo feels more like a consumer electronics interface: somewhat easier and clearer to use with slightly less flexibility in the search set.

Ultimately, my wife and I decided we preferred TiVo. I sold the ReplayTV on eBay.

The biggest difference would be if you had DirecTV. The integration of DirecTV and TiVo in a single receiver is an incredible advantage in usability and the most desirable setup of all, IMHO.

But I think you'd be very happy with either unit -- and they WILL change your life. The PVR is the best home electronics device I have EVER purchased.

#10897 - 01/27/03 04:53 PM Re: Tivo vs ReplayTV
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
TurnerF,

I have not gotten into Tivo or replay. But when I'm looking for a lot of consumers hands on questions and input on Video based devices, I usually can dig up some great feedback at AVSfourm.com

I linked you here to the Replay section itself. If you back out and pull up AVSforum, they have a seperate section for Tivo owners so you can compare their UI quesions and experinces.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27

Good Luck!

#10898 - 01/27/03 04:54 PM Re: Tivo vs ReplayTV
charlie Offline
Desperado

I have two of the Hughes DirecTiVo boxes - best thing I ever bought. It really changes the way I use my entertainment system. If the tuner wasn't integrated or coordinated with the PVR much of the utility would be lost IMO.

#10899 - 01/27/03 06:26 PM Re: Tivo vs ReplayTV
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Just to clarify Charlie's post:

The standalone TiVo and ReplayTV units ARE integrated with the outboard tuner or cable boxes (that's what those cables are for that were missing in Turner's Replay), so with either product you get full functionality because the PVR controls the cable box/tuner.

The site Lena points to is a great source of info. Just be aware that those are forums specifically dedicated to each of the systems and the people posting generally have already made a choice of TiVo or ReplayTV. As a result, there is a lot of "Rah, rah for my system" posting going on. Opinions are likely to be very biased for/against one system over the other.

[This message has been edited by bobliinds (edited January 27, 2003).]

#10900 - 01/27/03 10:47 PM Re: Tivo vs ReplayTV
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
and the people posting generally have already made a choice of TiVo or ReplayTV. As a result, there is a lot of "Rah, rah for my system" posting going on. Opinions are likely to be very biased for/against one system over the other.

so VERY true!
Great resource when your shopping however to watch owners talk back and forth regarding menus/setups/workarounds/glitches as long as you read with your skeptical spectacles on.
Even while self-validating their various purchases they will be asking for help on issues. That advance arms you to shop the product informed with the 'worst' and 'best' characteristics of its day in day out use.

Me: “Now, as my assistant attempts to stop the Internet Lemmings from hurling themselves to a certain demise, I will drink my Shirley Temple and sit in the shade. And my director tells me I can watch ESPN if I keep the volume low.”

You can use all forum resources two ways:

“The Internet allows lemmings of all sociopolitical viewpoints to gather themselves into groups for the purpose of finding the right sort of cliff to launch themselves off of."
OR
"The internet is like a car-horn in the middle of a pack of lemmings. It disperses the throng; and some of the poor schmucks even avoid going over the cliff."

Borrowed from ‘Lemmings at Internet speed’
Andrew Sullivan on what the Internet has done to media in America:

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts