Spice Girls
Rocky V
Speed 2
18 Again

#10812 - 01/16/03 12:22 PM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
A movie from the mid 1970's (I think) called Nashville. It was a big film then, but I thought it was so bad I left the theater midway through it. A later attempt to watch it again had the same result.

Paul

p.s. I can't tell you what the movie was about because, I guess, my mind has initated a self-protection mechanism and deleted the memory of what it was about but has strenghened the memory of how bad it was.

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited January 18, 2003).]

#10813 - 01/17/03 03:24 PM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
You are all so far off base... Metal Storm should win this, hands down! We watched it on fast forward (only because we actually PAID money to see it) and didn't miss a beat of the plot. Although, we did have to rewind and watch the "electrical monster" step in to the pool of water. Almost split something laughing at that!

#10814 - 01/19/03 11:27 AM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
I think Pearl Harbor must be one of those guilty pleasures that no one admits to. Well I'm here to say my wife and I both liked it, not top 10 or anything but pleasant entertainment. Consider the number of seats and discs the film sold, yet no one admits to liking it...........come on, you can fess up
Mike

#10815 - 01/19/03 06:11 PM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
I guess I must be in the minority. I thought it was so bad that I didn't even bother to watch the second half of the film. By the time the film got to "please insert disk two" I had had enough.

However I do have a friend who is debating buying it...but not because it's a "good" movie, he considers it one of the best comidies of 2001, and laughed the entire way thought the film.

Maybe that's where the sales are coming from > .

Jason

#10816 - 01/20/03 01:22 AM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
From what I've heard, the last hour is the only thing worth watching Pearl Harbor. I know a few people that have seen it and they say, "Skip the story and just fast forward to the attack." Sounds like you watched the wrong half, fmcorps.

We have yet to see any of it, but I'm sure we will one day. My wife's biggest problem with watching it is she hates Ben Asscrack. Mine is I just don't care enough about it to go through the hassle.

#10817 - 01/22/03 01:39 AM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Actually I think I sat through the wrong 2/3rds of the film. I had to sit through the gawdaweful two hours of :snicker: love story. But even the attack scene felt realy empty. We watch numerous ships explode, but every time one blows up, we se ships personell literally thrown hundred of feet in the air. Now, yes, I realize that when ships blow up real good, bodies will fly, but NONE of these "extras" had any "weight" to them whatsoever. In old movies, at least the "dummies" had some physics behind them, but in pearl harbor it looked like a looney toons cartoon. I'm just getting grumpy in my old age, but watching sailors follow Wiley-E-Cyote physics took a lot of the impact out of the special effects for me.

The other thing that made me nautious was the friggin' 5 second rule that Bay seems to adhere to...namely he cant stay on a shot for more then five seconds before cutting to somewhere else. Yes, in music videos it may work great...but sitting through 3 hours (or in my case 2 hours) of 5 second shots...I just couldn't get "into" the movie.

For example, imagine watching Unforgiven (a new aquisition to my collection) And instead of this:

(2 minutes of footage)
Long panaramic establishing shot of snow covered peaks, slowly we watch as twohorsemen cross the vast vista of Montana, We pan across the horizon and come upon a desolate wooden shack.

We get this:
(2 minutes of footage)
5 seconds cut to horses with mountains in the background
5 seconds cut to Ned Logan's face
5 seconds cut to Ned Logan's Gun
5 seconds cut to Ned Logans Face
5 seconds cut to The Schofield Kid's gun
5 seconds cut to American falg flying by cabin
5 seconds cut to The Schofield Kid's eyes
5 seconds cut to Ned Logans Eyes
5 seconds cut to The Kids Eyes
5 seconds cut to Ned Logans mouth
5 seconds cut to The Kids Horse
5 seconds, pan to mountains
5 seconds, cut to Ned and Kid
5 seconds, cut to ned and kid across mountain
5 seconds, cut to Ned and Kid's back, showing decrepit cabin.
5 seconds, show cabin, with ned and kid in background
5 seconds, ned's eyes
5 seconds, kids guns
5 seconds, horses butt
5 seconds Ned's eyes
5 seconds cabin door

It's tireing just to read through it, I'magine sitting through it for 3 hours.

#10818 - 01/22/03 10:22 AM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
You think 5 second cuts are bad, watch "Spy Game". It's cutting is so fast that it makes 5 second cuts seem gracefully slow. It gave me a headache so bad that I've never been able to watch the DVD all the way through (it was given to me by a 'friend'). Just because they can make these fast cuts on a computer editor doesn't mean it has to be done!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 22, 2003).]

#10819 - 01/22/03 10:33 AM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
You think 5 second cuts are bad, watch "Spy Game". It's cutting is so fast that it makes 5 second cuts seem gracefully slow. It gave me a headache so bad that I've never been able to watch the DVD all the way through (it was given to me by a 'friend').

By any chance do you have the full frame version of Spy Game ? I got the full frame version by accident (don't you hate that) and I got a headache trying to watch it as well. Fortunately I was able to return it for the widescreen and this version does not bother me.

#10820 - 01/22/03 12:34 PM Re: A new Outlaw Challange
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Nope: I got the widescreen version of "Spy Game" - I dread to think what the full frame version was like!!!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts