Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10784 - 01/06/03 08:14 AM Choosing a Amp, Advice needed...
willip90 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cedarville NJ USA
hi everyone i was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice on a amp for my speakers and ive heard outlaw's are amoung the best if not the best cause i keep hearing Outlaw amps all over alot of the forums ive looked at for the past 4 months.. anyways what i have is:
yamaha HTR-5560 75w Rms
Mains JBL S312's up to 250W
Center JBL S-CENTER UP TO 150W
Surround JBL S36II'S up to 150w

My question is outlaw amps seem to be all rated at 200W Rms how would one work with my system without damageing the center and mains? im planning on using my Receiver for the pre-amp since it does have pre-outs,, and running straight from the amps seems to be underpowering the speakers which could do some damage too.. can anyone give me some help i really want something to do the job right. please feel free to Email me or icq me im looking to get something twards the end of the month so.. any suggestions would help.. thanks in advance Phil Willson

Email: willip90@comcast.net

#10785 - 01/06/03 11:39 AM Re: Choosing a Amp, Advice needed...
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Well underpowered is MUCH more damaging to speakers because you may not know that you are hurting them. With too much power the volume would be up so loud it would be very obvious that you are going to far with the speakers. In a properly calibrated system (via spl meter) A high watt amp with lower watt speakers just means that under normal conditions your amp will have lots of reserve power it won't use. As opposed to a lower watt amp with high wattage or inefficient speakers you may be pushing your amp to "clipping" levels during intense listening sessions, which is damaging to most speakers. I think either the 7100 or 770 would work just fine and would depend on how much you wanted to spend and how future proof you want to be, The 770 would be more than enough power for most any speakers if you end up upgrading in the future.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#10786 - 01/07/03 08:07 AM Re: Choosing a Amp, Advice needed...
willip90 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks for replying, i was able to find the 770 but not the 7100.. the 770 looks real nice but how does the 7100 compare? anything below 2k price is in the price range. I like it loud, window shaking feel the floor pumpin loud... But i dont want to blow the lower wattage speakers either ya know. Ive yet to get the neihbors complaining .. feels kinda wrong if they dont say turn it down once in awile..lol does anyone have experience with these speakers and if its a good matchup ? Im getting more interested in the 770 everytime i look at the specs and i am looking to upgrade very soon. could you give me a link to the 7100 cause i must be blind as a bat.. hey i admit my faults too..LOL...

#10787 - 01/07/03 08:42 AM Re: Choosing a Amp, Advice needed...
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Unfortunately the model 7100 got mired in a parts supply snafu and has been held up. It has been announced but not released for sale yet. You can check out the news HERE

#10788 - 01/07/03 10:18 AM Re: Choosing a Amp, Advice needed...
willip90 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks for the reply, it sounds like there is a alot of want for outlaw products seems i came to the right place for help thanks guys,,, does anyone know any specs for it?im really getting interested now..

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts