Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10704 - 12/07/02 12:27 PM 5 disc changer options-HELP!
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
I have been through about 5 five-disc CD changers in the last year. I started off with an older Sony 5 disc changer which broke, then I moved to a used Yamaha CDC 705 5 disc changer which broke, a used NAD 505 5 disc changer arrived broken, a new Sony CDP CE275 5 disc changer that works intermittently (won't read discs intermittently, even new discs) so I am yet in search of another 5 disc changer. I do know that changers offer lower sound quality and lower reliability but I can't live without the convenience. I have a DVD player so a DVD changer is not something I want. I have two nice single disc players (Rotel, Marantz) but they just don't cut it for me. I like the 5-disc carousel configuration. I am really interested in the Denon DCM-280 because of the quality of the Denon product and it plays MP3's! What do you all think/recommend?

Related equipment:

Outlaw 1050 RCV
Sony CDP CE275 (needs to be replaced)
Paradigm Monitor 9 v.2 mains
Connected with Kimber Kable

------------------
Corey
music heals

[This message has been edited by SuperFi (edited December 07, 2002).]

#10705 - 12/07/02 02:44 PM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I had a Harmon/Kardan changer (FL-8300) that had some issues with the carousel mechanism (wouldn't always recognize a disc), which I replaced in May 2001 with a Yamaha CDC-775 (newer version of your used 705) that has performed flawlessly for me for a year and a half now.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#10706 - 12/08/02 02:04 AM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
I had the Pioneer Elite, model CV-36 for almost 2 years. It suddenly stopped playing CDs. It was claimed it could play CD-Rs too, but never seemed to do that either. It was progressive, but the old doubler not 3:2 pulldown.
I paid around $400 for that changer, and just paid $200 for a Panasonic CP-72 changer (you can access the turntable while a disk is playing) has 3:2 pulldown, Plays DVD Audio, CD-Rs, CD-RW, WAM, CD audio, DVD Video, MP3s, etc. etc.
Excellent changer. Great picture, but does not have a coaxial output only optical for digital. But does have 6 channel analog outputs for all 5.1 sound.
If you want digital coax out and what's supposedly is better MPEG processing, you can opt for the RP-82 which is a single player. About the same price.
This whole line of players/changers is a class act for the money. Only the remote is kind of chintzy.

#10707 - 12/08/02 12:01 PM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

gonk-
I like Yamaha products but I am set on bringing MP3's back to my main system (relocated my older MP3 playing DVDP to the master bedroom), so I think the Yamaha is out of the question.

DaleB-

The Panasonic looks to be a nice player but I don't really need another DVD player (I have 3, and the WAF is not well for #4) and I really want a high quality CDP for my 2 channel listening, another reason I'm looking at the Denon is the DAC quality, I like the Outlaws DACs and I usually use them vice my CDP DAC as they lend a more open sound then the cheesy DAC found in my current changer but I was hoping that since the Denon is a new design and so forth might lend higher sound quality when I use it's DAC.

#10708 - 12/08/02 01:41 PM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
I just got rid of a denon 4800 DVD changer because of problems with the video. The sound was great, however. It plays mp3's and CDR as well, plus you get DVD-A.

It's a little pricey though....$1200 retail, but you can find 'em cheaper on eBay.

#10709 - 12/08/02 03:04 PM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Yeah the Denon 4800 would be very nice but I'm on a budget and my Sony DVD player works great. I just need a nice CD changer + mp3 player.

#10710 - 12/08/02 07:20 PM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Another option, www.accessories4less.com has has the Marantz VC-5200 5x Disk progressive scan DVD-CD-CDR/RW-MP3 unit for 299.00 with free shipping. Refurbished with 1 yr Mfrs' wty / authorized dealer. I've had good results / no operational problems with the products I have bought through these guy's.
I have a 200x CD player but am considering adding this unit just for MP3 playback. I have a SONY 755 single disk DVD-SACD-MP3 capable DVD (It does not random play the MP3 tracks)I have around 15GB of MP3's that I would like to be able to play in random mode with more than one 650MB disk at a time. I have a lot of music in MP3 format and no other, Besides the 200 disk changer is already full.

Good luck with your search,
Steve

Just checked the reviews on www.audioreview.com = Multi DVD review section.
Does not "truly" random play audio CD's per one reviewer and slow operation per the other review ?
I guess I could call A4L's 800# to get the details.

[This message has been edited by Steve_C (edited December 08, 2002).]

#10711 - 12/26/02 05:17 AM Re: 5 disc changer options-HELP!
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Got the Denon and it sounds wonderful, very nice DAC(s?)! Very laid back and warm. Sounds as good as my single disk Rotel CDP imo. Thumbs up to Denon. Thinking of upgrading to the DCM 380 for HDCD, worth it?

------------------
Corey
music heals

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts