Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10689 - 12/06/02 02:21 AM Which new HDTV to get?
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
Hey guys, My current bigscreen is getting replaced under warranty, I may get instore credit and upgrade. Check out http://www.onecall.com and tell me which bigscreens (16X9 of course) are the best of the ones they carry. I have an idea but haven't done any research in 12 months.

------------------
Stott

#10690 - 12/06/02 12:07 PM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I will be looking into this very topic the next couple of weeks. Are you limited to Onecall? Is that the location of your store credit. Do you want integrated HD tuner or capable? Price range?
I did a quick look see at a store about a week ago and above several choices around its size/price range liked the pic on the Sony KP WV700 line very well which was noticeably improved over last years KP WV600. Case looks exactly the same on these two but the 700 has wider V Bandwidth capabilities. I have a reason for leaning towards the Sony label at the moment but I really did like 700 on the floor, - over several other brands/choices. One thing that will ruin an otherwise halfway decent RP for me is my perceived like/dislike of the reflectivness of the screen. The KP WV700 line preformed well on the screen issue to my eye.

I recommend the SONY GWII highly (last numbers on model designation will be 800 Vs last years 100 often the sales people don’t know if you ask and will incorrectly advertise the 100 ending # as this years. (I own last years model) if you consider the Sony LCD let me know. I’ve just seen some good reviews on the Hitachi 57GWXX20B (non-integrated I believer) but have not seen one in person…I will be looking it up.

I liked what I saw on a quick glance at the Panasonic new LCD’s. But I think there was another offer maybe a Sharp /Philips LCD on the floor that night which appeared to have a better pic than the Panasonic’s…Could have been the feed…it was a quick look-see while in the store for something else.

#10691 - 12/07/02 03:00 AM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
stott Offline
Gunslinger

SLL,
I went by GoodGuys tonight and looked at what they had. The Mitsubishis looked awesome. I am not really a big Sony fan and the TV's they had didn't look to have the best picture to me. I have done some hunting around since my inital post and it looks like things haven't changed that much. I have seen some good reviews of the Sony you mentioned. I really like the X82 Toshiba series and will likely get one of those.

------------------
Stott

#10692 - 12/07/02 12:18 PM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
stott Offline
Gunslinger

They also have the pioneer elite series at onecall, and that is where I am limited to. Those are out of my budget though. I believe I am going to try and get this one
http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_15771.htm
It supports 480p, 480i, 780p, and 1080i. The Toshibas are meant to be great for being able to tune them, and I have a feeling the Sony's won't be, Though, I have not done much research on that. I also like getting the bigger TV since it comes with the 9" guns instead of the 7 inchers.

------------------
Stott

#10693 - 12/07/02 12:31 PM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
charlie Offline
Desperado

If I were forced to buy today I'd probably get a good CRT set. It's old technology but that also means it's mature technology. I doubt CRT will be getting much better whereas these newcomers are advancing rapidly. In a few years I suspect CRT will be the lower cost but obviously inferior way to go.

Shortly after that the new will wear off the new guys and CRT will probably start getting dropped.

Personally I think right now is a bad time to buy if it can be avoided. I'm making due with my older IDTV until this newer, rapidly improving HD technology begins to stablize. For me there is very little pressure, since I don't really like TV and movies aren't HD yet. Once the HD-DVD format is released and titles are readily available I'll have to reevaluate things. I'm hoping by the time there's something to watch the imaging devices are up to par. Wouldn't that be a change?!?!

One thing I like about the various non-CRT sets I've watched is the 'look' is more like what I see in the movie house. I suspect the color gamut for the non-CRT systems is closer to film or something. The football game I watched in HD on an DLP front projector was striking in that the colors looked almost perfectly like what I'd see if I was in the stands. It was an interesting experience. Why not get DLP now? I also saw pixels and lots of motion artifacts from scaling 1080i to 720p, so I can't have that.

If you have to buy now there are lots of good CRTs out there. The non-Elite Pioneers are pretty good to my eyes and a lot easier on the wallet, have a look.

#10694 - 12/07/02 01:03 PM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Mitsubishi makes good sets although they do have a tendency for red push. I would suggest that you budget in 300 to 400 to have what ever set you buy professionally calibrated, I believe it to be worth the money to know that your set is as close to perfect as it can be.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#10695 - 12/13/02 12:16 AM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I have a Pioneer SD-533HD5 and it is unbelievable. I almost got the Elite model, but seeing as my friend works for Best Buy, his discount saved me $1,900.00. yes, you read that right

I got one of the last 7 that were available in Ohio and Pennsylvania combined. Pioneer couldnt make enough to meet Best Buys demands. That same friend is buying it from me mid summer 2003, so I can get the newer Elite x30 series. I am also getting my ISF certification June 14th

If I didnt go with Pioneer, Toshiba was second, Mistubishi was 3rd. No others are worth my $$$ to be honest. ]

Note...you can still find them online at a plethora of sites. They are excellent sets, you can't go wrong!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#10696 - 12/17/02 04:26 AM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
stott Offline
Gunslinger

With NO tuning so far my new Toshiba 65HDX82 is by far the best RPTV I have seen in anyones house. Oh yeah, can you say MASSIVE!.

------------------
Stott

#10697 - 12/17/02 10:40 AM Re: Which new HDTV to get?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Congrats and enjoy!

When you move from itty bitty CRT to the 'big box' (like I did). Or from box to box (new to play with).

Makes it awfuly hard to go to the theater for a while. Especially if your audio HT setup is up to par!

Merry Christmas!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts