Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10685 - 11/28/02 02:58 AM Hey Thanks you guys...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Dear Fellow Outlaws,

I just wanted to take a moment and personally give a big thank you to everyone here. I just stopped to think about the HUGE amount of information that I've gathered from everyone over the time I"ve browsed this board. I must especially tip my hat to Gonk and Soundhound. Although Soundhound and I may not see eye to eye (sorry bud, still haven't given into the "superiority" of SACD's over DVD-A's.) But I have to say, I certainly don't mind being schooled every once and a while by people so knowledgeable and classy.

To all of you ladies and gentlemen I extend my thanks. And to the Outlaws themselves...keep up the outstanding work.

With Gratitude,

Jason

#10686 - 11/28/02 04:11 PM Re: Hey Thanks you guys...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Jason:

Thanks for the kind words, but you might have me confused with someone else on the SACD vs DVD-A issue I don't have either format at the moment, although I'm heavily involved in surround work with movie music. My only thought is that at the moment, the DSD (for SACD) bitstream is impossible to do any editing on, unless you happen to want to invest in *Sony* editing and authoring equipment. PCM is very easy to perform editing and signal processing on. Neither of these issues has anything to do with the home consumer however.

PCM is never going to go away, because there is really nothing that DSD can do that PCM can't. SACD may eventually win out with consumers as a delivery format, but then the consumer will win with either format; they both sound good.

I'm waiting for the next generation of combination SACD / DVD-A / DVD players before I replace my current DVD player.

Sorry for the long-winded post!

#10687 - 11/29/02 01:54 AM Re: Hey Thanks you guys...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Soundhound,

Sorry, I thought you and I had a small discussion on DSD vs. MLP. It was actually bossobass and steves (boy do I hate looking stupid...but I do it quite often).

Regardless, a massive thanks to people like you, and so many other people on the Outlaw board. I'm very greatfull to find such knowledgeable people here, and moreso, that everyone seems to act so cordually towards one another.

So once again, thanks everybody!

Jason

#10688 - 12/03/02 05:26 PM Re: Hey Thanks you guys...
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I think I remember bosso saying that he thought that PCM was an in-only format and that once you converted stuff to it, you couldn't convert it back out again, which is why he preferred SACD's DSD, which he thought was more versatile. Or something like that.

Sorry if I've misattributed anything here. I [personally] am of the mind that PCM and DSD are kind of equivalent as far as encoding schemes go, except tha PCM is more established and can be edited by more common equipment.

In any case, reading these fora has certainly taught me a lot. Even if most of that knowlege is just a newfound appreciation for how much people can disagree on things! It's been fun.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts