Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1057 - 01/30/02 11:05 AM Subwoofers and the 1050
BillT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have a question about using subwoofers with the 1050. It's not clear to me, if you have a sub connected via the .1 LFE channel on the 1050, if the sub will be used when playing regular 2 channel stereo. I listen to a lot of music and want to be able to use the sub when listening to music because my speakers begin rolling off around 50 hz. If the sub isn't active in 2 channel mode through the LFE, how would you configure the speaker connections to the receiver to integrate the subwoofer for music listening as well as home theater? Thanks for the help.

#1058 - 01/30/02 11:13 AM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
Mark Offline
Gunslinger

Bill,

The sub is active is 2 channel stereo. When I play music the icons for my L/R fronts and the sub are displayed on the 1950.

I have the crossover set to 80. I will give it a try on 60 for awhile.

But my sub is producing in 2 channel and it sounds great.

Mark

#1059 - 01/30/02 11:19 AM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Yep, my sub is active in 2-channel playback as well. Sounds great! Blends very nicely.

#1060 - 01/30/02 11:24 AM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The sub will perform as Mark and Owl's_Warder describe if the mains are set to "small" -- if they're set to "large" the sub will not do anything. Just wanted to clarify that (or state the obvious, as the case may be... ).

------------------
Gonk

#1061 - 01/30/02 11:29 AM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Just a note, I believe you will need to set your front speakers to "small" to get anything sent to your sub also.

snowman -- (impatiently waiting to order his sub)

>> Guess we were thinking the same thing (saw your reply when I hit refresh)

[This message has been edited by snowman (edited January 30, 2002).]

#1062 - 01/30/02 11:39 AM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
BillT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks everyone. That answers my question exactly. I think I'll be ordering a 1050 very soon. I've heard so much about the sound quality of the 1050 it seems like the best buy out there. I've listened to a bunch of AV receivers over the last couple of months and have been less than impressed with the sound of most. The Marantz 7200 was the best but it seems to have a lot of quality issues. Sound when playing music is most important to me everyone seems to think this is where this receiver excels. I think it will do me well until I can afford the seperates route.

#1063 - 01/30/02 12:44 PM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
packaday Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just ordered an sw-12 from Aperion Audio. It is my first experience with a sub. Is the LFE cable the same as a regular RCA? I also, Aperion suggests using a Y connecter to get the most output from the subs amp. Is it better to make the split at the receiver or at the subwoofer? I know it will be cheaper to split at the sub, but I am curious.

#1064 - 01/30/02 02:10 PM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's a regular RCA cable (just a long analog interconnect, not really any different than a cable from pre-amp to amp). I don't know about the splitter, but it would seem OK to split it at the sub.

------------------
Gonk

#1065 - 01/30/02 02:37 PM Re: Subwoofers and the 1050
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
<>

I recently bought longer cables for my sub. Previously I had some Monster interconnects going to it, just one with no splitter. I then purchased a longer 'sub' cable by Monster (yeah, I know, but I was in the mood to buy something to play with. . . ) and it came with the metal block type splitter, not a standard Y-adapter. Before installing the new cable, I looked over it pretty carefully and this is what I found:

1) The regular Monster interconnect (probably the mid-grade version) had very fine wire. I couldn't measure it, but it was more fine than most others I have seen. The sub cable, however, had more coarse wire.

2) The fittings were practically identical, one had the '12 turbine' and the other just 6 straight cuts, but the internal part of the fittings were the same. The 12 cut was easier to slide on, as the 6 cut was practically impossible.

3) I had a spare Y-adapter from Monster, as well as the block adapter that came with the sub cable. I looked over the Y-adapter and it too had fine wire. The block splitter is basically just a hunk of metal, so there is no wire to be concerned with. I used the block.

I installed the new cable, spent some time re-tuning the sub (so as to make it impossible to do an A/B test, I guess. Oops.) and started to play. The ONLY difference I can guarantee with the new arrangement is that my sub's (Velodyne) 'auto on' feature would cut the sub on at lower volumes. The Velodyne manual states this as well. As far as sound goes, since I modified the sub settings, it would be totally unfair to even try to say it was better or not. I can't honestly say that I perceive any real difference.

But, you get 6m and the adapter for $60 (I think), so I don't know why you wouldn't go with it, unless you have long enough interconnects laying around. There could be a better brand to try, but that's all that was available for me locally.

S.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM