Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10556 - 10/06/02 10:18 PM Newsletter
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I just want to clarify something in the news letter that is wrong. The current mess on the west coast in regards to the ships not being unloaded is not a strike. It is a lockout. The difference is a strike is when the workers protest the actions of an employer by refusing to work. A lock out is when an employer refuses to allow the workers in to do there jobs. The action on the west coast has been reported in the news papers as a Lock out!

#10557 - 10/07/02 08:45 AM Re: Newsletter
BryanZ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

All this in an effort to prevent modernization of the docks for fear of workers losing their jobs. Nevermind the fact have been offered $114K a year + full benefits.

#10558 - 10/07/02 11:56 PM Re: Newsletter
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
In the SF bay area, unless you purchased you home a LONG time ago, $114 + bennies per year is no great deal because of the real estate prices. It would take you and your other both making $114 per year to buy a nothing special house in a nothing special neighborhood. Unless your sugar daddy and mommie chipped in with a big down payment, of course or you bought out in the boonies and have a two and a half hour commute each way to work, in which case your sanity is at risk.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#10559 - 10/08/02 10:27 AM Re: Newsletter
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I still have trouble feeling sorry for people who make TWICE what I do, for what is comparatively unskilled work.

Not to mention that the employers DID actually guarantee that no existing jobs would be lost to technology. They just didn't guarantee future jobs, either.

I think this whole mess is an example of a union grown too strong. What do they want us to do, stay in the dark ages? Modernization is what drives our economy.

Auto workers lost jobs when we moved to more automated assembly lines, and that's unfortunate, but it's just the way things go. We all benefit in the form of lower-priced and better built automobiles.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#10560 - 10/08/02 10:46 AM Re: Newsletter
jetsetter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

BryanZ,

114K, wow, where was that posted?

Out.

"Yes, they're called doctors."

Tommy Boy

#10561 - 10/08/02 06:15 PM Re: Newsletter
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
"lower priced" automobiles? Where? The prices of cars are right up there with houses in the way too expensive for what you get category. IMHO

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#10562 - 10/08/02 06:32 PM Re: Newsletter
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
In Massachusetts where the average cost of a house is $350,000, 114k a year isn't alot. We currently have the janitors on strike in Boston because their employers won't give them health insurance or ful time jobs. Their average salary is $10 an hour.

Most people forget, even though they don't belong to a union, a strong union has an impact on their wages and benefits. The reason is for the employer to keep it's employees from voting to go union.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts