Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10516 - 10/02/02 12:59 PM Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
A son has a Birthday Friday, and has requested 4 speakers for his 68 mustang. He just bought himself a
Pioneer DEH-P840MP, which he researched himself, (and I must add, - he most likely purchased for the dang graphics)

He said “Mom” you know enough about sound now, I’ll let you pick them.
I don’t know anything about car audio speakers, any suggestions? I did a quick look at one individual's CES report on car audio, and a couple of car audio buffs, general statements listing badges on Sound Domain.

Not one of the ‘reviewers’ said a word about ‘sound’! They listed brands and specs, then went on to spend more time detailing the size of the motor and the rims and paintjob describing the 'car' in which the audio setup was installed.

This son I would have classed as a Sub banger last year, (every time he drove my car I found my bass trim at 100%). But I rode with him this week in the mustang, and he has learned (a little) sense, he was explaining since the current speakers are blown, he has his trims dialed back for the moment otherwise it ‘sounds’ terrible. (before he would have played them at full blaring fuzz regardless of sonic mutilation involved.)

Would, um, roughly 400? do 4 speakers with decent frequency range and build? He mentioned 2 rounds, can’t remember 6/7/8 diam. (fronts) and 2 ovals/rectangle 6x8? (backs). He wants a subw too, but just asked for the 4 speakers at the moment.

Any recommendations? What will 4hundred buy? After the quick surf I saw Rockford Fosgate (a name that sounds promising) mentioned in car audio. Any suggestions, prior research in this arena I can drawn on. Things are a mess here, I barely have time to look into Outlaw for the next while, so could really use some advice from people I trust.

#10517 - 10/02/02 01:44 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
Not a lot of info but take a look at http://www.caraudiomag.com (if you haven't already!) but my take on speakers of any kind is to go listen...and not at electronic shops with the speakers on a board on a wall...try going to a shop that specializes in car modifications...they should have some people that want to show off! Car accoustics are wierd...I am not a believer is a lot of money in car audio but power makes up for a lot!

#10518 - 10/02/02 01:56 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
SLL,

Wow, a sound system for 68 'stang.

Years ago, when I replaced the speakers in my (Uh-Hum) 87 mustang (I know, the only similarity is the name), I used a combination of Boston Acoustics and Alpine with an Alpine headunit. I was quite impressed with the sound of the BAs. I'd suggest going to your local Tweeter if you have one and listen being mindful of the fact that they will sound much different in the car. If your son will eventually add a sub, then the low extension of any car speaker is moot. Audition the speakers with power comparable to that of the pioneer. Don't get too picky since these things need to compete with road noise.

Another source for information is Crutchfield. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by DollarBill (edited October 02, 2002).]

#10519 - 10/02/02 03:14 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
I think the head unit your son picked will do well. I also think you're right in that he picked it because of the graphics too. He could have saved probably $100 or more by not getting it, but it's his car.

As for the speakers, do what Oaf says and try to listen to them at places. Talk to the people there about what they might recommend too. Make sure that the speakers will fit in the car! Drilling a couple extra holes is not too big of a deal, but when you have to start adding mounting boards, be careful as the price can quickly go up. $400 should get you a pretty good set of speakers for the front and back. I think this this is about the price/performance cutoff where you start having to pay a lot more to get a little better performance.

With the speaker types, I think you are trying to say 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" coaxials up front (you called them "rounds"). These have the 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speaker with a tweeter mounted at the center. Two way will have one tweeter there, three way will have two tweeters. I don't know if there's that much of a quality difference and three way tends to cost just a little more. Also available are component speakers which will have the tweeter and midrange separate. These generally cost more than coaxials. The rear speakers are usually 5x7, or the more common 6x9 (you called them "ovals"). These come in two or three way also.

The subwoofer will be a very interesting debate when that comes around. In a car it's incredibly complex how many ways there are to fit them in.

I haven't heard of Rockford Fosgate speakers, but I have heard of their amps and subs. They seem to be pretty popular, definitely something to look into.

I know this because I have recently done some things to my car. I have a '98 Intrepid with an Alpine 7892 receiver with stock Infinity speakers (I think these are the reference series actully). 6 1/2" components up front and 6x9s in the back. I currently have an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1d sub in a sealed box with a 600 watt JBL amp. I'm currently building a dual vented box to put in though. Be interesting to see how this works out.

[This message has been edited by BenjaminRigby (edited October 02, 2002).]

#10520 - 10/02/02 03:38 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

I just checked Sound Domain and I did not see any Rockford Fosgate speakers there. I bought my subs and amplifier there too by the way. If you want quick recommendation on a brand, Infinity is good. I really like the quality that I am getting from mine. With the size, you'll have to see what will fit in the car (and your budget). Go here to check. This will give the size of the speakers currently in the car. Same size speakers of a different brand, or even different model type might not fit perfectly, so check that with someone who does installs. It is ok to get smaller sized speakers to fit in the spots too.

#10521 - 10/02/02 03:41 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Madisound (www.madisound.com) used to have some pretty slick 'generic' grills for a variety of drivers and some nice mounts for remote tweeters (Audax drivers) that would give very nice results if integrated properly. The folks at Madisound can be very helpful - you might call or email them. The solution is usually very clean and understated visually, with a bonus of being rebuildable (if he blows them again) and the potential of excellent sonics.

#10522 - 10/02/02 03:47 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Crappolla, what is wrong with that link? Anyway, Circuit City has the fit guide at their website by going to car audio and security, then to car speakers, then to car speaker fit guide (All this is on the left hand side). Then find the car.

#10523 - 10/02/02 05:24 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ky
I just put Pioneers in my car and they are doing very well.

#10524 - 10/03/02 09:49 PM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Ahhh... car audio. That's how I got stuck in to this whole sound business in the first place! I'll be honest, I didn't do a ton of research but I was very happy with my little VW Quantum. Driving has just never been the same since it was totaled (NOT my fault!).

Anyway, I had an Alpine head unit which was just outstanding. I didn't spend a ton on it and I could count the number of times my cd's skipped on one hand.

But you were asking about speakers. This was the place I got hooked on Boston Acoustics. The best recommendation would be to go and listen to a setup in the store, and definitely go to someplace that specializes in car audio, at least to demo. A lot of those places will do free install if you buy it all there. If you do that, I'd also recommend separates for the front. That's where you'll have your round speaker you were asking about, coupled with a detached tweeter which the installer will mount closer to head level. They come with their own matched crossover. That's what I had up front in my VW and I had oval 6x9's in the back for a nice midrange fill. I also had two Rockford Fosgate Punches (ten inch) for the low stuff in the trunk. I had the installers set it up for good sound internally, and minimal noise radiation outside. I wanted, and got, good clean sound inside.

To make my speaker selection, I took in my demo material and set up "my system (head unit and amp I was buying)" in their demo room. Then I made the salesman leave me alone while I spent almost an hour comparing the different speakers. I first chose my seperates and then my 6x9's. Settling on the stuff up front first and then finding something that complemented nicely for the fill worked very well for me. In the end, I was deciding between Alpine and BA. In the end, I felt the Alpines were a bit too harsh for my tastes and chose the Bostons. Once I had those, I found a sub setup I liked, forked over more money than I paid for the car, waited few hours, and was off and running.

I don't know about the head unit he chose, but I'm sure I'm not alone touting Alpine. There is a reason they've been in car audio as long as they have and still have such a good reputation.

#10525 - 10/04/02 08:43 AM Re: Car Audio? May I ask and Fast & Furiousiously?
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Owl you are definitely not alone in supporting Alpine, I have the 7892 head unit and love it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM